Early breakfast in Stratton, Maine, area

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mohamed Ellozy

VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
We are planning on hiking in the Stratton area this coming weekend, and in years past Mainely Yours used to open very early. Just called them now (Monday AM), they are closed Mondays but the message on the answering machine said they open at 8 AM on the other days :(

The other diner, Stratton Diner, opens at 7 AM, still way too late for winter hiking.

What alternatives are there for an early breakfast (before 6 if posible)? Let me be more specific about our destinations:

Sat we are doing Saddleback and its Horn, so something near Rangely would be appropriate.
Sun we are doing Sugarloaf and Spaulding, anything suitable near the ski area?
Mon we are doing Abraham, anything in Kingfield?

Thanks!!

Breakfast in Kingfield

Way in the back of the general store in Kingfield at the intersection where Rte 16 leaves 27 to cross over the Carrabassett River, there is a small breakfast place which might seat 15 including the stools at the counter. You might not find it unless you look for it. Not much elbow room but the food isn't bad, price and portions good. The french toast was from homemade bread. Coffee comes in those old Solo cups, where the white plastic cup pops into the cup holder.

As true junior hikers (low boot mileage) the breakfast got us to Avery and back. Interesting R &b/Blues decor and views of the river. I think they open early as well. There's one cook so don't get upset if seems to get slow.

HughK

Mohamed Ellozy said:
We are planning on hiking in the Stratton area this coming weekend, and in years past Mainely Yours used to open very early. Just called them now (Monday AM), they are closed Mondays but the message on the answering machine said they open at 8 AM on the other days :(

The other diner, Stratton Diner, opens at 7 AM, still way too late for winter hiking.

What alternatives are there for an early breakfast (before 6 if posible)? Let me be more specific about our destinations:

Sat we are doing Saddleback and its Horn, so something near Rangely would be appropriate.
Sun we are doing Sugarloaf and Spaulding, anything suitable near the ski area?
Mon we are doing Abraham, anything in Kingfield?

Thanks!!

Yeah, the Woodsman in Kingfield......the best breakfast north of Farmington ! Take it easy on the pancakes though...more than two and you won't be able to walk !!! Great local ambiance too !! :)

The name of the place HughK is referring to is in the back of Annie's Exxon...not bad, but its not the Woodsman.

Last edited:
Annie's and Woodsmen's are the best as others have said. I'm not sure what time Annie's opens but I've eaten there pretty early. I almost always get a sandwich there on my way home after a hike/ski.

Mohamed, are you really interested in breakfast or are you just fishing for people to break out the trails for you :D

by the way, the package arrived. thanks again!

spencer