Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cold Hands

See if you can find Dachstein (boiled wool) mittens. Very warm and nearly windproof.

I used to wear them ice climbing (without shells)--my knuckles would press against the ice and water sometimes flowed into the mittens. 10 min later my hands were warm and the inside of the mittens were relatively dry. (There would still be ice globs on the fuzz of the mittens, but I didn't feel them. After a little while those would disappear too.) Too warm for me to wear hiking.

Dougal Haston wore two pairs on the rather nasty summit day of the first ascent of the south face of Annunapurna (an 8000 meter peak in Nepal). Had all his fingers when he returned too...

They used to be readily available, now harder to find. (Try a search engine.) Still as warm as ever.

Doug

^^^ that's the old school, and you gotta respect it.
    alternatively, you could get some OR altimitts if you're really serious about having warm hands. those things are the truth. they're also quite an investment, but they work.
    Things outside you are projections of what's inside you, and what's inside you is a projection of what's outside. So when you step into the labyrinth outside you, at the same time you're stepping into the labyrinth inside. Most definitely a risky business. -Murakami

Quote Originally Posted by DougPaul
    They used to be readily available, now harder to find.
    Campmor carries them: Mitts

I've worn out a few pairs myself, but wouldn't buy them again (even on sale).

They just don't fit me well, too long and narrow and they don't stretch to go over my cuffs.

Bigelow Range from the top of White Nitro
    Lots of good ideas here...just a couple of more thoughts that I've learned skiing over the years that I didn't see specifically mentioned already:

1) don't take your gloves/mittens off while you're outdoors...not even to pee or take pictures. Unpleasant?...yes, but constant on/off of your gloves contributes significantly to cold hands.

2) mix some cayenne pepper with baby powder and sprinkle on your hands and feet...keeps 'em warm and dry ! I gave some to my daughter when she first became a ski instructor at Sugarloaf and now she swears by it for those minus 25 days and you have to got to work.

Yes...I think some of us are doomed to have cold hands and feet. My feet in the minus 40 Sorels don't give me trouble. The hands are the real problem. Windmills don't hardly work anymore and I have learned that gloves are useless. My real test was my Outward Bound course in Ely MN.
    It is positively frigid out there.Everything freezes. I kept handwarmers in my mittens around the clock. I brought my BD glacier mittens but rarely used them.Way too bulky. WE used "choppers" most of the time. They are work mittens, leather outers and lined. I had no faith that my hands would be warm but those hand warmers really saved me. I just kept changing them if they cooled down too much. Use approx 6 per day. I kept them well insulated in my pack because my leaders told me that some people had trouble with them when they were exposed to bitter cold because it rendered them useless. Without warmers I would not have been able to do my course. If my hands get cold I just stuff they into the mittens with a warmer and keep moving my fingers around and they warm up fairly quickly. It's more of a nuisance than anything else. If I have to do something with my hands exposed for dexterity I will wear thin gloves but as soon as I feel the digits freezing up I warm them in the mittens and then take them out again to complete the "precision" task!
    No matter what mitten/liner/overmitt system I use I could not play outside in the winter without warmers.

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarloafer
    1) don't take your gloves/mittens off while you're outdoors...not even to pee...

2) mix some cayenne pepper with baby powder and sprinkle on your hands
    Just curious, did doing #2 above lead to the necessity of #1? I would guess that if you try option #2, then you would only forget to follow option #1 just one time before you learned to never forget #1 again!
    Last edited by Nessmuk; 01-10-2006 at 03:03 PM.
    "She's all my fancy painted her, she's lovely, she is light. She waltzes on the waves by day and rests with me at night." - Nessmuk, Forest and Stream, July 21, 1880 [of the Wood Drake Canoe built for him by Rushton]

"Cold hands, warm heart." I think you'll just have to learn to develop a mean streak.

Reynaud's comes in many varieties, or perhaps severity. I've heard of people who can't walk past the frozen foods section in a grocery store without a reaction but I doubt that's the case with you. However, the root cause may be similar. Reynaud's is a localized vascular issue, that is, circulatory, that I understand can be treated to some extent with medication. So, my next tongue in cheek suggestion is to find out what that medication is, determine the main ingredient and see if it comes in a liquid form available at the State Liquor Store.

On a more serious note, you might also consider whether you're getting the fullest circulation in your hands. Might there be some constriction caused by your clothing, your grip on hiking or ski poles, the elevation of your hands as part of that grip on poles or by some other idiosyncracy or injury?

It has been determined that wrists are the radiator of the body's circulation system ... there are more blood vessels near the surface of your wrist than anywhere else in the body and they are easily exposed. That could impact how your body heat is maintained so maybe you need to be as conscientious of the heat loss at your wrists as your hands.

Take this advice, call me in the morning and send the co-pay to my swiss bank account.

Stan:

I did some quick research and I think the medication you referenced is the same thing that's in tequilla
    "If you hold onto the handle, she said, it's easier to maintain the illusion of control. But it's more fun if you just let the wind carry you."

Quote Originally Posted by LittleBear
    Stan:

I did some quick research and I think the medication you referenced is the same thing that's in tequilla
    That doesn't surprise me, it's also good for arthritis, hang nails, post hiking blues and postholing.

Hull, Quebec. Avatar: Wanna come out and play?
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleBear
    Hot peppers have the same effect, but they don't cloud your judgement. Not an issue at a gathering, but may be on a summit in bad weather.

Note that when using chemicals to increase circulation to the extremeties, it is VERY important that the core temperature is kept warm.
    There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Bigelow Range from the top of White Nitro
    Quote Originally Posted by Nessmuk
    Just curious, did doing #2 above lead to the necessity of #1? I would guess that if you try option #2, then you would only forget to follow option #1 just one time before you learned to never forget #1 again!

Good question !!!...truth be told I've only done #2 on my feet, but I can understand your issue !! Actually, I'm pretty lucky that my hands don't seem to get cold enough to necessitate the use of exotic remedies.