Montrail Olympus boots

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gaiagirl

Reaction score
I've been doing some research on winter boots and looking on ebay to see what deals may be around for Koflach's but have been hesitant to purchase without trying on. Tonight on the way home from the gym, I stopped at EMS and I saw them ...... it was love at first sight :D LOL ..... I think!!! I got a great deal on a pair of Montrail Olympus boots, and even though they were a clearance item I can still take em' back if they don't work out for me this weekend .... I have a bit of information on them, but I'm wondering if anyone has any first-hand feedback for me about this boot. The leather is 3mm supposedly and treatable with waterproofing, and they have a thick rubber outsole (compatiple with any instep crampon or Montrail's ICE crampon) and vibram sole. I'm curious about warmth though. I can't imagine they wouldn't be, but if anyone knows anything more about this boot, I'd love to hear it even before I test them out in a few days.

Thanks in advance ;) ,

HA ! Got 'em on my feet as we speak !
They're a bit warmer than your standard leather boot but they are not a substitute for plastics, or any boot rated below zero. I did Mt Washington in Nov at about a 20 degree average temp in crampons on ice and snow and I was fine when moving but could feel the chill (not uncomfortable though) when we were standing around. They are heavy weight, supportive hikers.The "ICE" crampon was recalled. If you keep them you'll want to "dremel" off those little metal bracket thingies in the sole.
This is a review of the boot.
I hike in them year round, but will still need to get plastics at some point.

Also, as you know, a lot of the "warmth" has to do with the boot fit, your feet, your socks, gaiters, etc.

AND !!! By "heavy weight" they mean the weight you carry, not the weight of the boots. These are actually lighter than most of the boots I've owned.

Last edited:
I could have guessed that the crampon wasn't made any more :( .... damn. I have made due for so long with highly insubstantial footwear, and these are a HUGE step up for me, so maybe I can make them work for most days and under most conditions??? .... They are a tad roomy, so 2 thickish warm socks will be necessary anyway, and I am amazed at how comfortable I can be in 3 season boots with my VBL socks, so who knows :D ....
I paid $120 for em' ..... I dunno, maybe I can spend just a bit more and get plastics, but so far they haven't fallen into my lap in my size for that price!!!!

you can wear these with any crampon, step-in included. walk around in doors in them for a while. these will do 95% of what you need them to do, especially if you have room to add a VBL in an emergency. Now that you know your size in these boots, check out the sizes available here, these are crazy discounted.

Good plastics are going to be needed in some cases, but these are good for the rest of the year also.

HOLY COW!!!! Guess I'm returning these to EMS ... I'm a Women's 9.5, bought a men's 8.5, which are basically equivalent to a Women's 10, which they have in stock ... for half the price of EMS's !!!!! Thank you a million times Chip!!!! :D
I can rent plastics if I'm doing a Presi traverse or something like it .... I think these will be perfect for most anything else :)
Oh, hey, did I say THANKS?!!! ;) ....LOL

no problemo. with the money you saved you could get a pair of Sorels, or something. you definately want to grind off those little metal clips in the sole when you get the pair you're keeping.

Were the clips for the crampon??? Can you still find them anywhere? Have you been able to use rigid crampons with the boot as well, or only in-step? Sorry for all the questions, but I'm excited about these and would love to be armed with specifics ahead of time. Can't wait to use em' over the long weekend. Thanks again for the link and all the info :D !!!

gaiagirl said:
Were the clips for the crampon??? !!!
Yes. You can dremel them off with a $3.00 grinder head that is used with a power drill. Definately do this.
gaiagirl said:
Can you still find them anywhere? !!!
No, recall voids warranty and service. well maybe you could find them on ebay, but you don't want them anyway.
gaiagirl said:
Have you been able to use rigid crampons with the boot as well, or only in-step? !!!
I don't have step-in crampons, but you can use step-ins with these if you have them.
I have Grivel Air TecH Light 10 point crampons with their "New Classic Binding" that will work on any boot.
These are a semi-rigid crampon, I think rigids are only used for ice climbing.
This is a good article about various types of crampons.
I also have Charet Moser 6 point crampons that I use with these boots.

okay, now you owe me a beer. ;)

I've been using the Montrail Moraine, which I believe are very similar, happier for the past 4 years. Had my feet in them during some darn cool days above treeline, I'm talking about -40 or so, and the feet were happy.
Yes, I was using liners with a vapor barrier and heavy sock on top plus full gaiter. However, last year I pick up a pair of scarpa plastic boots that I prefer to use in the winter. In my opinion, if your are looking for bang for the buck go with the Moraine, they will cover not only winter but fall and spring in the Whites. As for summer my feet get too hot in them.

How about a beer after a hike soon? Just give me a time and place and I'm there :) . I think I'm getting off pretty cheap in the deal if you ask me. The information alone is worth it, nevermind the mega-deal on the boots!!! :D
Thanks Again!

okay, you owe me 2 beers. :eek:
A couple of us are doing Lafayette, Lincoln, Liberty & Flume in some fashion on 2/19 and/or 2/20 if they're on your list. Freakin early starts, though, as I need to be back to the Beacon in Lincoln by late lunch. :D