crampons

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SherpaTom

Reaction score
Question on crampons...considering purchasing Vasque Clarion Gore-Tex Hiking Boots and need to know if my Grivel G-12 crampons would work with the boots. if not, any other suggestions on crampons and/or should I consider instep crampons. I only do day hikes and not much above treeline, just like to have them for steep sections.

ya don't need spikes. get some of those yaktrack things. i think there's a similar thing called kahtoolas too. way easier to put on than crampons. ya can't frontpoint in 'em but it sounds like you don't really need to. you can go real fast with these things on. try 'em. they're cheaper too. :)

Stabilicers

Highly recommend Stabilicers if you are not going above tree line often - they hold great on ice, snow, wet rock, etc...and they are real easy to wear and they do not alter your stride...
Crampons are great too, but would be overkill in the situation you described.

EDIT : Mike beat me to it, you are too fast for me :D

I love my crampons and hate my yaktraks because they keep falling off my foot and don't care for insteps, I feel unbalanced with them on. However, I have found something else that I use for the "need something but not crampons" days that works very well as long as you make sure it fits your boot properly. They sell them at REI and other places I am sure

Stabilicers Sport - Unisex
http://www.rei.com/online/store/Pro...9&parent_category_rn=40003537&vcat=REI_SEARCH

Try these out if you don't want full crampons. Good Luck.

sli74

One other thing to add on the Stabilicers...I have never had this problem, but my friend Rols has - it is possible for them to come off, and you may not even notice it...he fashioned "idiot cords" to keep them from leaving his leg if they come off of his boot!

sapblatt said:
One other thing to add on the Stabilicers...I have never had this problem, but my friend Rols has - it is possible for them to come off, and you may not even notice it...he fashioned "idiot cords" to keep them from leaving his leg if they come off of his boot!

Rols, I've had mine fall off too w/o noticing. I've even had snowshoes come off and not notice for a few strides! :eek:

Another big vote for Stabilicers! (these kind, but not these kind)

I would also highly urge you to stay away from Yaktrax. The only time I use them is for jogging on flat icy streets. They just aren't made to handle any sort of steep terrain in my opinion. I wouldn't be comfortable using them on even the easiest of 4000-footer trails in winter.

For steep sections, will Yak-Traks or Stabilicers really do the job? I find them most useful on relatively flat or sloping terrain, but not on steep stuff. Sherpa Tom, can you give an example of a place that you felt you needed more traction?

-dave-

Dave,

Steep sections of East Osceola was a recent trek where I used my crampons once I got off the flat trail from The Kanc...

Sherpa Tom

Ps: I own crampons which fit my old Asolo boots....I may consider the stabilicers as an alternative but really was wondering how well my crampons would fit these new boots if i decided to purchase them....perhaps a trip to REI will solve all.

Definitely take the boots with you when you buy. I had the opposite problem, Camp green ice 12 point crampons and they didn't fit most of the winter boots I was looking for. I settled on the Baltoros which just barely fit the crampons.

I wear full crampons rarely in the whites, Osceola trail from Greeley, Ammo, up Hancocks maybe and Lions Head but otherwise am wearing snowshoes.

David Metsky said:
For steep sections, will Yak-Traks or Stabilicers really do the job? I find them most useful on relatively flat or sloping terrain, but not on steep stuff. Sherpa Tom, can you give an example of a place that you felt you needed more traction?

-dave-

To add to Dave's idea - the steepest area I have used Stabilicers on (and had no issues) were on snow on the Sandwich Mountain Trail (before Jennings Peak) and on the upper sections on the Mount Garfield Trail above the junction with the Garfield Ridge Trail (this was on ice)...they are perfect in the right places, but they are not for every situation.

I have not done East Osceola from the Kanc, but from what I have heard I would think this is crampon territory...

I've hiked with both instep and 10 point crampons and would recommend not buying the instep. You can feel unstable on them and I find that the borrom of my feet can start to husrt aftr hiking in them; I think its just the way you are placing your feet and trying to balance

sapblatt said:
I have not done East Osceola from the Kanc, but from what I have heard I would think this is crampon territory...

Done a few winters back in my MSR's!!!!! Love my MSR's!!!!!! They excel on the steeps!!!!

Anyone climb the chimney with their MSR's???

Crampons should be find, I'd get the flexible bar too. Tha Kahtoolas are a good option too.

sapblatt said:
the Mount Garfield Trail above the junction with the Garfield Ridge Trail (this was on ice).

Do you mean the final scrambles before the summit?

That would indeed be impressive.

One of the things this board can be very effective with is providing consensus and minority rebuttal. Precisely which tool in which application? I've puzzled over the sub-crampon question for a while; glad to see it being addressed.

Anyway, which part of the Garfield ridge was that? Right up near the top?

Thanks,

--M.

I've never felt unstable in either my 6 or 10 points in a variety of conditions and I think the reason is my boots have a LOT of ankle support and general boot stability. So while crampons might fit on softer boots, I don't believe they're the best boot for the job.