nice day to climb washington

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

giggy

Reaction score
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/today.html

:eek: :eek: :eek:

yea right!!!

from MWO:
The upslope energy and available moisture didn't come together and hammer us with snow as forecasted. However, the Summit did receive about 6" (15cm) and we'll take anything we can get. What we lacked in snow the mountain replaced with wind! The Canadian freight train of wind came barreling from the NW arctic lands throughout the day yesterday. They went nuclear last night as we sustained velocities well over 100mph (160kph) and went into castastrophic meltdown with a peak gust of 141mph (225kph)!! We are now gusting 120-130mph (195-210kph) and are expected to stay over 100mph (160kph) for the day. If you are still thinking of going to the higher Summits let me say it another way....DON'T. A human being, no matter who or what equipment they have, should not be traveling in subzero temperatures with 130 mph (210kph) winds. Period.

Last edited:
It was cold enough in my bedroom this morning! :D But in all honesty I know at least one VFTT'er who might at least attempt a trek above treeline on a day like today. Come on Matt, show your face. :)

grouseking

I don't think anyone could walk head on into that kind of wind / cold
for more then say 20 yards.

I had a plan to summit Washington on Sunday after spending the night out on Saturday night but the thought of a wet approach and then waking up to subzero temps made the decision not to go pretty easy. I have been in 80-90 mph wind up there and I was close to crawling, so I do not think movement in 130MPH wind is even possible.

windy

Not that I would go out in those conditions, but I do recall one winter day when I arrived at the parking lot just passed the Tucks sign and had to use my axe to crawl and pick my way to the summitt, dont know the wind speed but standing up was not an option.

mookie said:
thats crazy man.
wondering if anyone got out in the whites yesterday????

We were up there (well parrt way) for that mess!! never made it above grey knob.

we arrived at the log cabin saturday late afternoon in the rain and awoke to 10degrees inside, lots of new snow and everything iced and/or frozen. musta been about 5 outside. brrr!!

sunday night at knob the lowest temp we saw on the themometer outside before going to sleep was -11!!!!!

glad to have that foam cover piece for the privy :) :) :)