Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: I miss summer

I miss summer

Never thought I would say that, but yes, I missed summer badly, yesterday during a Giant and Rocky Pk Ridge hike under a near 0 degree F temp.

Hiking is OK, but get prep at trailhead, eating, drinking water, taking a short break, all this was terrible. Even the summits were not enjoyable.

I am not saying that winter hiking is not for me, I just think I need to go more, so I will learn how to dress properly.

I was wondering if some of you have a low temperature limit for hiking

H: Brighton, MA, Avatar :Brian and I at the 2005 Ski Gathering
    Quote Originally Posted by timmus
    Never thought I would say that, but yes, I missed summer badly, yesterday during a Giant and Rocky Pk Ridge hike under a near 0 degree F temp.

Hiking is OK, but get prep at trailhead, eating, drinking water, taking a short break, all this was terrible. Even the summits were not enjoyable.

I am not saying that winter hiking is not for me, I just think I need to go more, so I will learn how to dress properly.

Bite your tongue

I LOVE winter, hiking and skiing . . .
    I usually come fully prepared to the trailhead during winter. I just throw on jacket and mittens and swing the pack over my shoulders and go . . . this helps with not getting cold prep-ing at the trailhead.

My cold limit was reached Jan 2004 at the ADK winter Gathering, where the temps at the trailhead were -22 and continued to drop as we climbed. I have Audrey to thank for taking care of me on that one.

sli74
    LIFE, I shall persevere! Everytime you knock me down, I will get up stronger.

I just started winter hiking a few years ago and the more experience you get, the more you can refine your clothing/pack system. At first I was never sure what to wear, carry, etc. and it's getting easier (my main thing was that I wore way too much clothing at first).

One weekend two winters ago in the ADKs was probably my temp limit (I think my limiting factor are my boots). It was -20F when we woke up in the morning and I don't think it warmed up above 0 during the day. It was blue skies, sunny, and calm, so it was doable for me.

And remember -- no bugs and fewer people.

I actually reached my limit skiing at Wildcat about 2 years ago. It was -50 (with wind-chill) standing at the top of the mtn not to mention the fact that I was going at least 15-20 MPH (my body would not permit moving any faster than that in those conditions) down it. They actually closed the lift to the top b/c it was so cold. I have never experienced cold like that in my life.

Winter is a beautiful & special time in the mountains, but give me a pair of shorts, sport bra, running shoes, fanny pack, bright sun and 80 degree temps over winter conditions any day!

Stinky "soon-to-escape-to-warm-climes" feet

I get dressed in a warm restroom somewhere near the trailhead. With a long drive usually, it allows me to drive most of the way in jeans and sneakers then gear up indoors. The Highland center has also been a nice place to gear up. For crampons or snowshoes I usually get into the woods where it's a little bit warmer.

I'll hike a little below zero if it's a day in the woods and at zero for above treeline stuff.
    But those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles.

http://www.onchristspath.com/4Kpage.html

This morning, with temps in the single digits and a wind chill below that, I never questioned whether I would be warm even on the exposed summit. Learning what layers to wear and when to put them on is key. Walking through unbroken snow toward a cloudless sky that was a rich blue background for the iced tree tops sparkling in the sun is beyond compare.
    I'm just outwalkin....

Jules-
    I've got pretty decent winter clothing and don't mind the below zero but only for shorter ski trips etc. I got real lucky when we camped out a few weeks ago- temps only down into the low 20s at night and someone along who loves to build fires. But..I go out in the winter not because I love snow and ice (although it is beautiful) but because I can't stand to stay inside. So bring on the warm weather!

Jules, your album keeps getting better and better! I could just replace your name with mine and it's so fitting. Well, and add on a couple of decades of time!

sun and warmth

I do not like winter hiking. I hike in the winter because there's no way I could do nothing for so long, I need my mountains. But summer is when Im in love. Give me a 14,000ft peak on a warm summmer day and Im in heaven. Ive done alot of winter climbing, even iceclimbed for 7 years or so, so Ive seen my share of winter but I find the clothes and need to constantly regulate your temps a pain in the a#@. I was caught in an avalanche a few years back and froze my hands, that took the winter fun right out of me. Now dont get me wrong I can see the attraction and certainally dont knock you winter hikers, BUT summer is for me period.

Winter rocks. Whenever I start wishing for summer, I remember all those deer fly threads from last year!

Once you get your clothing right, it's golden. I like to regulate heat with my head, no toque, light toque, heavy toque, heavy toque with hood. It's easy to switch really fast. The lowest I've gone is -25C. Anything lower than that and I'd probably have to have a pair of insulated boots.

Running down a mountain without tripping over roots and rocks is so much fun.

The only thing I miss about summer is the swimming holes.

-Shayne

Don't be put off by yesterday Julie. I was up North in the Laurentians and it was brutal out there.... -20c with a wind chill making it closer to -35. I'm sure they'll be less challenging winter days. Stick with it!

Think of the up side NO BUGS!
    What am I doing on this damn computer.... I should be out on the trails!!

Quote Originally Posted by BorealChickadee
    Jules, your album keeps getting better and better! I could just replace your name with mine and it's so fitting. Well, and add on a couple of decades of time!
    Thanks !
    I just added Esther, I invite you to take a look

Quote Originally Posted by Jim lombard
    I get dressed in a warm restroom somewhere near the trailhead. With a long drive usually, it allows me to drive most of the way in jeans and sneakers then gear up indoors. The Highland center has also been a nice place to gear up. For crampons or snowshoes I usually get into the woods where it's a little bit warmer.
    Because I always have 2-3 hours before a hike in ADK, I will remember this advice. Thanks

50-50

Both winter and summer present challenges. This past summer when it was high 80's and full of bugs, and I was on Colvin and Blake I wished for snow. Yesterday, along the shore of Lake Ontario, I wished for 80 degrees and my yak. It all works. Gear and preperation are 50% of it and mental preperation is the other 50%. I generally get so pumped to hike, I don't notice the weather a whole lot (if I have the right gear). Layers, and more layers, and a good wind stopper are keys. We did a long loop for Sawteeth a couple years ago. Turned it into almost 19 miles coming straight down the windswept lake at dusk. It was -5 when we left the trailhead, and -2 when we returned, although it never really felt cold.

Darn! You are talented. That bunny is cute.

We all have our tolerance levels. Reading these posts reminds me that I just mentally ignore insects. I simply don't let them bother me. This has worked all but two or three times over many years. But cold...I absolutely can't ignore it. Sun, warm granite, green leaves...

Ignoring bugs v. cold

I second Boreal Chickadee's remarks that some of us find it easier to ignore bugs than cold - I do. After three days on the Mattawamkeag River in Northeast Maine in the dead middle of a bumper blackfly season in May 2001, I don't believe the other New England states, where I usually hike, even have what you could properly term bugs. Certain nothing that's really captured my attention since then.