Suggested dayhikes near Londonderry VT?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jessbee

Reaction score
I'm visiting a friend in Londonderry next weekend and I'm hoping to sneak away for a quick but worthwhile dayhike nearby. Any suggestions?

jessbee, Stratton is a wonderful mountain, complete with a firetower and fantastic views. It's not too far from Londonderry, and the hike itself is not that long or tough.

dms said:
jessbee, Stratton is a wonderful mountain, complete with a firetower and fantastic views. It's not too far from Londonderry, and the hike itself is not that long or tough.
Jessbee isn't interested in a short, wimpy hike, Dennis. I suggest doing the Long Path from start to finish and back again. :cool:

Jessbee: Equinox is in that area as well. The views were great from that one too. I imagine the views from Stratton must be terrific because they're so close. Equinox is an impressive #10 on my favorite list while Stratton, another non-4K, comes in at #27

-Dr. Wu

Last edited:
I have no idea on the conditions or open/closed status of any of these but here are some others besides what was already mentioned: Okemo via Healdville trail,
Bromley via Long Trail, the White Rocks area. One thing to keep in mind about Stratton is that the Kelly Stand Road is closed in the winter.

Isn't the Merck Forest not too far from Londenderry?
It's really beautiful in there.

Thanks for the responses, guys. I've been checking these out online. Once I mentioned hiking Saturday, a few friends of mine said "Oh yeah we'll go too"...which means I have to tone the route down a bit :cool: So, keep tossing around wussy hike ideas if you got 'em ;) Cutesy, woodsy, meandering type hikes....maybe around some ponds or something. I'll try and pick up a guidebook this week.

You could hike into Stratton Pond, which is easy and beautiful. Also, there is a place near Manchester, VT called Lye Brook Falls, which is a 5 mile easy to med grade that goes to the Falls. Let me know if you need other info on this.

Hanna

Hamilton Falls!

Hi,

One of my favorite any seaon hikes is that area. Hamilton Falls in Jamaica State Park. Follow Rte 100 south into Jamaica and once in the town watch for signs turning left to Jamaica State Park. You'll have to park outside the gate and walk in on a little road to get to the trail. It's a round trip of about 5 miles, The first and last 1.5 miles being completely flat as it follows the West River. Tons of cool rock/ice/water formations. Really pretty any time of year. Then the trail to Hamilton Falls splits off to the right and goes uphill for about 1 mile. All the way up views off the left of the trail look down into a cool ravine. Close to the top, the trail will cut off to the left which goes to the bottom of the falls. It's beautiful! Icy this time of year so caution is required, but no special gear usually. You can either bushwack on the people herd paths up the right side of the falls to the top, that's really great if you like climbing and heights, or you can get back to the main trail and continue all the way to the top of the hill almost to the road then turn left into the woods and see the falls from the top. It's a fun hike! Highly recommended!

Lowell Lake State Park is also really great. It's on Rte 11 about 10 miles east of Londonderry. Great meandering trails. Easy going.

My husband would second the recommendation of Lye Brook Falls, he did that hike on his own and really liked it. I haven't been yet.

Have fun!

Re: Hamilton Falls

Well that's a new approach for me... I have alway come into the falls from above; never knew there was a trail up from Jamaica!