Rescue in progress on Mt Norwottuck

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maddy

Reaction score
There is an ongoing search for a missing hiker on Mt Norwottuck in the Amherst/Hadley/Granby area tonight. When I drove past the parking area on RT116 at 5:30 pm I new something was amiss. On the way back at 7pm it was apparent that there was a big problem. Ambulance, firetruck, lots of police and lots of people. I don't know the age of the missing person.
Anyone have more info???
Hope this unfortunate person is found soon. It's getting quite cold out and that is a notorious place for people running up the mountain on a beautiful day with no emergency gear.

Maddy said:
and that is a notorious place for people running up the mountain on a beautiful day with no emergency gear.

Did that myself on the other side of the road a few years ago - minutes to run in three miles with the dog - hours to walk out using said dog as crutch after fracturing an ankle.

The Holyoke Range, especially this area, is difficult to think of as dangerous. The trails are well marked and there's usually a lot of people.

And with a winter storm watch posted for tonight through tomorrow...

There was a hiker in the MHR that got "lost" and called 911 on the old cell phone. Not much else said about it in the Paper just a small writeup buried on the paper monday AM.

There are a few areas off the MM trail where mazes of Mtn bike trails could disorient someone without the trail map, but i see lots of people that are oblivious and assume there will be "signs" everywhere in that area.

Today's Springfield Republican

Copied from the Springfield Republican today (1/23/06)

Hiker found after three-hour search
GRANBY – A lost hiker was located after a three-hour search of the Mount Holyoke Range State Park last night after police and firefighters from three towns turned out along with a state police helicopter.

The man’s identity was unavailable, but police said he was properly dressed for the weather and was not injured. He used his own cell phone to call 911 about 5:15 p.m.

It was unknown whether he was in Amherst or Granby, so three dozen police and fire officials from those two towns and South Hadley entered the park from various sides.

The man had parked in Amherst at the Notch Visitor Center, police said. He was located about 8:15 p.m. on a trail in Granby and transported to his car.

Do I read this correctly: It got dark and he was lost so he called for a rescue?

bcskier said:
Do I read this correctly: It got dark and he was lost so he called for a rescue?

Calling for rescue might not be the choice everyone would have made. However, it is better to know your limitations than to let a situation get out of control, perhaps seriously.

Sounds like he might have gotten lost somewhere past Rattlesnake Knob. If I remember correctly the Amherst/Granby line is denoted on the trail by a metal pole with a "G" on side of it and an "A" on the other side. The M/M trail and Robert Frost trails drop down from Rattlesnake Knob into an area that is not heavily blazed and lacks signs at trail junctions. There are several old jeep roads and horse trails that intersect in this area and if your not familar with the area, it's easy to get lost. Hey, at least he's safe now. I'd rather read about a rescue than a death any day.

Happy to hear he is out safe and that he had the right gear.
I got lost once with two friends in a maze of trails in there.I cannot recall exactly where we were. We got out fine but it took a while to figure out where we went wrong. I try to pay close attention to the trail map and terrain there. It seems like such a small place but I guess when your lost,your lost. I hate the sinking feeling that all is not well!

Chip said:
no news posted yet that I can find.
is it standard to have Ambulance, firetruck, etc on hand before the person is located ?
Its SOP to have such equipment on scene as soon as the call goes out in my department and for the area Tech Rescue Team, which I am a member. (Western Catskills area) Ambulance in case of injuries to both rescuer and rescuee, fire trucks carry equipment, radios, lights and create a command center. And some helicopters crews like to have fire trucks at the lz. Its a precaution, easier to have everything there, than scrambling for some piece of equipment after the fact.