Maps/Guidebooks 4 the 5 Vermont 4k'er Peaks

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lx93

Reaction score
Fairfax, VA... land of the 2-hour commute
Hi,

Working on the NE 67 4k peaks, but having a hard time finding maps/guidebooks like the ones that helped me out so much while completing the White Mt. 48 & Kathadin.

The AMC & Green Mt. Club websites have some books about hiking in VT, but I'd like to avoid the kind of books that are geared mostly to lesser peaks, and only spend my money on something that's going to give good info on the 4k'ers, Mansfield, Camel's Hump, etc.

Any ideas? Thanx in advance, happy 'shoeing!

-Matt

With only five 4K peaks in the state, it is obvious that nobody is going to write a book like Steve Smith and Mike Dickermann's 4000-Footers of the White Mountains for Vermont.

You may, for free :) check the Vermont pages on my web site: Mount Mansfield, Camel's Hump and Mount Ellen, Mount Abraham and Killington.

For maps, Map Adventures publishes two useful maps: Vermont & New Hampshire - Hiking Trails which includes Killington Peak and Mounts Abraham and Ellen, and Northern Vermont: Hiking Trails, which includes Mount Mansfield and Camel's Hump.

Your best bet by far is the Green Mountain Club's Long Trail Guide:

2200.jpg

It has a chapter on each section of the Long Trail as well as all the side trails. All the 4 K's are in this book as well as the rest of the Long Trail (which, who knows, you may want to hike some day). Also most of the Vermont 100 Highest Peaks are in there too. Those that aren't are in the Day Hiker's Guide to Vermont:

2205.jpg

By the way: Make sure you do any nearby HH peaks when you do the 4Ks. Later when you decide to do the HHs, you'll be glad you did.

Buy both books, you won't be sorry. Maps are included in the book (not separate sheets) but the books are small enough to take along. I've used these for all my Vermont Peak bagging.

Here's the GMC's On-line store. Do it now. Just a few clicks and your credit card number. :D

Last edited:
Papa Bear, Mohamed,

Thanx for the info; looking forward to getting the maps and going over the 1/2way point on the NE 115.

Doubt that I'll try the HH, but then again, I got into this stuff "just to snowshoe, not the dangerous stuff like Mt. Washington." Famous last words, the views/thrills of achievement are rather addictive...

Another vote for buying both books, They are cheaper than the WMG. I think I even have a 50 Hikes book too.

Since the 5 are on the LT, the LT guide would be the onlt one you'd need. Several other VT peaks worth hitting, Hunger would be an example make the Day Hiker's guide wothwhile.

I've been wanting to get up to VT for a while and I just picked up the Long Trail Guide today. Lx93, are you looking for company on any of those VT hikes, and if so, do have any particular time in mind? I may try to get up there in Feb. and/or March. I would be mostly interested in Ellen, Abraham, Killington and other non-4K stuff in the central and southern area.

Matt

Matt,

We're each other's namesakes, how cool!

Yes, I would very much welcome some company- not only is it 4x the safety to have a partner, it's a lot more enjoyable.

As far as the dates/times, I'm pretty flexible, as I'll soon be returning from some time for the Air Force Reserve and have flexibility in returning to my civilian job. I would say sometime between Tuesday, Feb. 13th and Saturday, Feb. 17th would be good for me.

As far as WHICH peak, I'm wide open on that one as well. I'm not planning on doing the HH, after finishing the NE 67, I plan on bagging the remaining 43 to become a 46er in the ADK.

But if you want to add some HH peaks, I'm open to that.

-Matt

My recommendations

Long Trail Map

This is a great sexy little map of the LT. All the 5 4ks are on here with mileages marked out from point to point on the map. Side trails too. I would get that map for in my pack, the VT gazateer for in the car to get to the trailheads (essential in my opinion) and maybe read the aforementioned trail guide books at home. There isn't anything too suprising on any of these mountains. They are all fantastic. I bet you'll have them mostly to yourself if you go midweek. Have fun. Wish I could join you!

lx93 said:
I would say sometime between Tuesday, Feb. 13th and Saturday, Feb. 17th would be good for me.

I assume you meant Saturday Feb. 18th? The 17th is Friday. Anyhow, the 18th would work best for me. I would drive up to my dad's place in Troy, NY Friday evening, get some sleep and get an early start. After this hike I might head back west into NY for an ADK hike on the 19th. That one is brewing over at AdkHighPeaks.

I'll probably only be up for one moderate hike this time around. I'll be up for more VT trips in the future. Killington would probably be the easiest 4K for me to get to in a reasonable amount of time. I was looking at it in the Guide today and it sounds like a nice peak w/ panoramic vistas. There are two trails that lead up to the Long Trail. One of them leads up from CCC Road, which it says is unmaintained in winter. The other is called the Bucklin Trail, and it leads up from Wheelerville Rd., a few miles outside of Rutland. It says Wheelerville Rd. is unpaved. Let me know what you think. We have plenty of time to discuss this, gather beta, etc.

Matt

I am very interested in Vermont peaks as well, so far the Vermont peaks I've climbed are just Equinox and Camel's Hump. I am interested in the 100 highest, peaks with interesting features, haunted mountains, places with history, waterfalls, county high points, you name it :eek: :D

The only peak I don't want to do at this point is Mansfield......
why you might ask?

I'm saving it for a very special occasion........ a few years from now, hopefully in the not TOO distant future I'm planning on finishing the Northeast 115, the NE 100 highest, and the New England 67 on top of Mt. Mansfield! :D

funkyfreddy said:
I'm saving it for a very special occasion........ a few years from now, hopefully in the not TOO distant future I'm planning on finishing the Northeast 115, the NE 100 highest, and the New England 67 on top of Mt. Mansfield! :D

And of course the NE county highpoints list! How could you forget that one! :D I'll be sure to be there for it!

Matt