VT Info Wanted

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattC

Reaction score
Ulster County, NY Avatar: Chapel Pond From Giant M
Looking for some beta from the Vermonsters out there. Lx93 and I are planning a VT hike on Saturday, 2/18. He might already be in the area before that day, or he may be coming up from Boston. I would most likely be coming from Troy, NY that morning.

Most likely we will either do Ellen and/or Abraham, or perhaps Killington. I don't want to do anything too far north because of the drive to the trailhead.
All the info I have so far is from the Long Trail Guide. So, if I state something as fact (like a road closure), that's where I'm getting it from. Tell me if I'm mistaken. So, the questions. On trailhead access:

-Ellen/Abraham:

Lincoln Gap Road is closed in winter. That leaves Appalachian Gap/Rt 17, the Jerusalem Trail and the Battell Trail for access points. I'm thinking the way to do these would be to spot a car at the Battell trailhead, drive back around and approach Ellen from Appalachian Gap or the Jerusalem Trail. The last tenth of a mile of road to the Battell TH is unmaintained in winter. Is it okay to just drive as far as you can and park by the side of the road? Or do you have to drive all the way to the parking lot at the end? I obviously don't care about walking an extra tenth of a mile. I just want to be sure that we don't come to some really messed up, undrivable road and we can't park there.
If we managed to leave a car at Battell TH, and wanted to drive back to the Jerusalem TH, there is a road on the map between Lincoln and Jerusalem that runs along Beaver Meadow Brook. Anyone know this road, and whether it's maintained in winter?

-Killington:

CCC Road at the south end of this LT section is closed. That leaves access from RT 4, or the Bucklin Trail from Wheelerville Rd. Wheelerville Rd. is unpaved for 4 miles, but the Guide doesn't say if it's plowed or not. Anyone know how this road usually is in winter?
Perhaps the easier access to Killington would be from RT 4, either via the LT or the Sherburne Pass Trail.

Any and all beta would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Matt

Hey Matt,
I've done Killington from Route 4 (both the LT and the Sherburne pass trail). There's a large parking area that is plowed at the Sherburne trailhead. The Sherburne used to be the LT before they moved it. If you take this route you get to take a small side-step to Pico as well that has some interesting views. And you get to pass the infamous Pico Camp. World known for it's bear and mice intrusions! :)

Matt I am not sure if that Jerusalem road is maintained or not. My guess is that it's likely open. But at least if you approach it from the south you are not too far from the LT trailhead on the Lincoln Gap road. The Lincoln road is at least paved but steep and winding. An over and back from the gap, though long, is at least possible. You would be assured to have a broken route on your way back.

As for Killington the best route is likely the old LT that is on Rte 4 directly across the road from the Long Trail Inn. That is your highest access point as well as having a large parking area. It should be open starting at 2100 feet and 5.6 miles one way makes that the most used route to Killington.

Sherburn pass is the old LT

99% sure the Lincoln Gap is closed in winter. Also, don't rule out farther north mtns b/c, if driving from Boston, the use of I-89 will make the trip just as short (or just as long?). In driving time, it might actually be quicker to get from Boston to Camels Hump or Mansfield than the Jerusalem Trail (eg).
To my knowledge, the most feasible approaches to Ellen (Jerusalem) and Abraham (Battell) are from the west, which means a fair bit of time driving around the Green Mtns to get to the trailhead. Both are terrific hikes, though!

I'm probably stating the obvious, but Ellen and Abraham are easily reached by Sugarbush ski trails. Not the most aesthetic way to get there, certainly, but if time is short it could be the most practicable.

Killington is most easily done by the Bucklin Trail. There are many houses along the road, so it is well plowed. Since the Bucklin Trail is substantially used it is likely to be well broken. Bucklin Trail to Cooper Lodge is 3.4 miles, old LT to Cooper Lodge is 5.4. Quite a difference :)

Killington: I agree that the Bucklin TR is a great choice. If you are comfortable bushwacking, heading South on the LT to the Killington/Little Killington col,then west over the open forest ridge to Mendon Peak, then back to the start of the Bucklin TR makes a nice loop.

Mt Ellen: With cars spotted at the Battell and Jerusalem trailheads(both access rds are plowed), I loved the ridge walk over Mt Ellen to Abraham last winter.

The Jeruselem TH is open year-round as there are homes nearby, and I have always been able to get to Bucklin. Lincoln Gap is closed in winter - if you wish to climb via that route, approach it from the west (Lincoln side) as that's the way locals do, but it's a bit of a hike from the last plowed area to the top.

You can approach Killington from either the Bucklin Trail (Weaverville Road) on the Mendon side of the mountain, or the old Long Trail, located at the top of Sherburne Pass across from the Long Trail Lodge.

Kevin

Thank you all for the replies. As it turns out, I'm not going to Vermont as soon as I had planned. However, the info here will certainly help in the future. I look forward to eventually getting up to the Green Mountains.

Matt