Couchsachraga-Santanoni-Panther

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PINPIN JUNIOR

Reaction score
Hi all special peoples in this site, You are my second familly... ;)

We need to start with a excuse for the warriors, it was not my plan to exclure You of this day. :eek:

After a not realy easy day in Allen, We was not sure We will hike today.

Warrior Jeff called me around 8 o'clock but I was in the shower, Junior busy to prepare the dinner. Jeff stay a message and his phone number but He spoke to fast and I can not give him a armswer. I think every body was familiar in this place know my english langage is not very good.

Jeff called me few minutes before 9 o'clock, I read the forecast from the computer, I am not sure He understand all but He stay with the plan to try one or more peaks in Santanoni Range.

The forecast was not very good but Junior tell me, "Hey Alain are You a man or a mouse? You can not to stay front the computer and cry because soo many peoples give You a large slap in your back. Lets go, Yes Jeff We will go at the Santanoni parking early tomorrow" Junior :rolleyes:

I just postoned this small part: We will try to made Couche in first and We will see after. We will need visibility!!! :cool:

This day started with a few pressure in Jeff shouders, usualy We arrived just in time at the meeting, but this morning We arrived few minutes before and Jeff need a couple minutes before He will be ready. Unfortunately just before We started He saw his new wather bottle had a leak.

For a warrior the loser quality is not the best thing...every time Jeff hiked with us He losed a gear. Today 30 minutes after We started He tell us I losed my second water bottle!!!
But the running jocke was when 15 minutes after We started to return at Time Square after Couche. He tell us: "stop I need to return I lose my belt pack"...10 minutes after He come back and tell us "I never losed my belt pack I stay this thing at Time Square!!!

Junior tell me this man He is not a loser but a jocker!!! :D

We started 15 minutes in late, but We had a goog pace, 2 hours and 22 minutes later We are in Time Square. We had few merite for this thing, 5 peoples make the great job, broken the trail and hiked Panther the day before.Thank You very much....You confessed You did not keep your snowshoes after the junction path and trail, fault confessed is half forgived. ;)

It was not easy to stay in the usual path to Couche but Junior stay vigilant, with a couple of dead end We catched Couche.

After a short stop at Time Square We started to Santanoni, other hesitations but We catched Santanoni.

Very easy hike to Panther, little bit windy in the summit but We need only to kiss the small plaquette.

Fast down to return at the trail path junction, same pace before and on the road. The wet snow started at the junction with many hours later in the forecast..better for Us.

The most difficult part of the day was to drive in the base camp direction, wet snow slush, slow drive. :(

Warriors do not cry, We need many other time this range this Winter, please stay in contact for the next hike.

Pinpin Junior. :)

P.S. Now You know Junior never stay for the count of 10 in the floor We will e-mail the next trip reports for our familly..... ;)

To be or not to be.....

Hi Tom. :)

Sure, Yesterday was just a recognition approach. :cool:

Junior needs to return in this place, He does not know perfectely the path.

Couche is the must difficult peak in the winter without visibility, too many time the path turnes at 90 degres, crosses a small col, if You are in the bad side the mountain after the small swamp You have very few chances to catch the summit. :eek:

A other interessing thing with Couche, if the trail is broken in two ways, it is must difficult to come back from the summit to Time Square (more elevation and steep place at the return).

Touched the trees markers of this range in one day it is always a goog challenge specialy in the winter.

Yesterday in 8 to 12 inches of new snow over a hard base, in a too warm temperature, We loosed many time the path, not only to Couche but also for Santanoni. Fortunately Junior kiked me with his left or wright foot, this morning I have a blue in my wright side now!!!! :rolleyes:

Junior thinks "Now Warrior Jeff knows Santanoni Range in the winter is not a piece of cake" :D

We hope Jeff had a better road conditions of us to return in his far home!!!!

This report is not to frighten the peoples, but without tracks and visibility, only if You have a gps and many way points You have a chance to catch Couche.

Tom, Bob, Ellen, Queen and Junior never kiss the small disque in Couche witout the Tom gps support a memoral Febuary day couple years before.

We are in a dence cloud " A couple of time I can not see the end of my ears :confused: " Junior.
"He Junior it is one million time I tell You do not exagerate..." :D Alain.

But in a clear day and if by misfortune the path is broken (without holes) always this day will stay in your head: the views from the tops are soo gorgeous....We hope for a same day in Febuary.

O.k. friends hike in your goal direction in few time You will need a other list You will finish with your actual list. ;)

Have a great day.

Pinpin Junior. :)

Pin Pin, thanks for the information. Looking forward to the February hike.

Tom, does anyone have a GPS that is joining us? Must admit I'm not the best orienteer with a map and compass. From what Pin Pin posted, looks like we may need one for Couch. Any suggestions on how we tackle these summits?

Thanks again.

Splitrock821 said:
Tom, does anyone have a GPS that is joining us? Must admit I'm not the best orienteer with a map and compass. From what Pin Pin posted, looks like we may need one for Couch. Any suggestions on how we tackle these summits?

You mean a Go-after Pinpin System ? :D

I'll continue these questions on the other threads. I do not have a gps...

PINPIN JUNIOR said:
After a short stop at Time Square We started to Santanoni, other hesitations but We catched Santanoni.

:confused:
Never been in that area and sorry but, i have to ask a question: i look on the map and i cannot find "Time Square" where is that place?

yvon said:
:confused:
Never been in that area and sorry but, i have to ask a question: i look on the map and i cannot find "Time Square" where is that place?

Yvon, Times Square is an informal but traditional designation (named after the New York City location) at the top of the ridge on the herdpath to Santanoni, Couchsacraga, and Panther Mts. Paths lead from here (more or less) to all three peaks. The first 4-way "junction" you come to is sometimes mistaken for Times Square (Panther path is to the right from here). T.S.is rather a little way on the path to the left, toward Santanoni & Couch. If you're doing all three in one trip, you must always return to this general area between the peaks (there are no shortcuts).

Yvon- here is a link to a map from adirondackjourney.com.

http://www.adirondackjourney.com/images/Santanoni_Range/Times Square Map.jpg

After seeing this map it was very easy to find each path. he did a great job on the map. Your first little clearing is NOT Times Square. But the path to Panther goes right out of this little clearing. go out of this little clearing on the left side and walk just a minute and you'll come to Times Square. Path left around the big rock is to Santanoni and the path right is to Couchie.

The clearings are small but obvious once you get there.

Enjoy.

BorealChickadee said:
Yvon- here is a link to a map from adirondackjourney.com.

http://www.adirondackjourney.com/images/Santanoni_Range/Times Square Map.jpg

After seeing this map it was very easy to find each path. he did a great job on the map. Your first little clearing is NOT Times Square. But the path to Panther goes right out of this little clearing. go out of this little clearing on the left side and walk just a minute and you'll come to Times Square. Path left around the big rock is to Santanoni and the path right is to Couchie.

The clearings are small but obvious once you get there.

Enjoy.

Thank you BC and Dick for your help. Now i know better where is Time Square. Not the one in NY city but in Santoni Range.