20 Mile Winter Hike - At Night!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Rankin

Reaction score
This was not me, but a guy named Jimmy Buff, who participated in an end-to-end hike of the Escarpment Trail in the Catskills this Winter, at night!

He must be pretty buff to attempt this trek! :D

Teaser:

It was an epic night: Nearly twelve hours of tramping about on snowshoes in the frozen Catskill Mountains under a nearly full moon in temperatures that dipped at times into single digits had come to end and we—ten of us in all—had endured. Among us were two Ironman triathlon finishers, two veterans of 100 mile running races, one recent 50 mile running race finisher as well as experienced and grizzled veterans of marathons and other endurance events. To a person this adventure was one of the toughest—in some cases, the toughest—physical effort we had ever done.

Full article:

http://www.catskillregionguide.com/articles/article.php?id=924

Was anyone we know on this death march? :D

Edit: Fixed url. Thanks Jay!

Last edited:
Sounds pretty fun and grueling.
I'm envious! :)

I almost did something pretty similar, but on my own, so I decided to turn back. It's good to know that I could find some company on something like this :D

Last edited:
hermit said:
He is a D.J on wdst here in Woodstock N.Y.. And a good one at that.I am listening to him on the radio now.
I listen to wdst when in the area. I think thats where the free stones tickets came from.? I can't imagine walking along those edges in the dark with ice and snow.