Big Slide in Winter- Crampons Needed?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Splitrock821

Reaction score
I have a friend who is interested in starting up on his Winter 46. We were hoping to take a shot at Big Slide (I need it for mine, and he's never done it, obviously) next weekend, but I don't want to get him in over his head. Accordingly, is this a peak that generally requires crampons for any section, including the Brothers? I know that alot will depend upon conditions, but does anyone have a general rule of thumb? I'm relying on your experience...I'd like to save Cascade/Porter on his behalf for another day...

Thanks!

I would bring cramps. or at least spilicers. Not alot of snow so you can expect ice. The last pitches may a little dicey. Have fun! Tom

The last section between the summit and the trail towards JBL, I would think would need crampons at least. It's fairly steep. Though more than likely, it's popular so unless you go right after a snowfall, it might be packed down. Of course, in the ADK high peaks area, you are required to carry and use snowshoes over 8", which I hope you know about.

Jay

Summit Insurance

Splitrock821.........

If you have VERY AGGRESSIVE crampons on your snowshoes, you might get by in the final approach to the summit. But that .2 mile, 400' scramble after the junction with the Slide Mt. Brook trail tends to deteriorate quickly with increased traffic -- not so much in the ascent, but rather in the "butt sliding" descents that flatten and pack the route and make it feel and act steeper than it really is. Even without traffic, back sliding is common in that section.

The Brothers trail is a spectacular route and a great choice for a hike. But after working approximately 3.8 miles and 2400' of vertical ascent to get to that last steep pitch, I'd want to have with me all the tools necessary to reach that great summit.

Full boot crampons are simply summit insurance or assurance (if you will) that is part of the price of admission to these lofty places.

Enjoy your trip. It is an Adirondack classic!

Big Slide - Feb. 5th

We will be taking a shot at Big Slide via the Brothers on Feb. 5th. Check for our post after the hike for a report on conditions. We are taking all gear - both snowshoes and crampons just in case.

We plan on traveling both directions over the Brothers - thinking that there may be high water crossings on Slide Brook due to all the rain and melting.

I hiked Big Slide back in November and needed my crampons for that last pitch. MSR's would probably be fine for that section now though.

Enjoy the hike.

-Shayne

adksteve said:
We will be taking a shot at Big Slide via the Brothers on Feb. 5th. Check for our post after the hike for a report on conditions. We are taking all gear - both snowshoes and crampons just in case.

Thanks, I'll look forward to your trip report. It sounds like from the experience of the group that crampons are a really good idea to at least have on your person when attempting Big Slide. I always bring them with me on my winter hikes, but I can guarantee that my friend has never heard of them, much less have them in his possession. I don't want his first taste of winter hiking to be a failed ascent due to lack of appropriate equipment, so we'll probably pick something else- maybe Phelps or Cascade.

Once again, this board proves its incredible value....thank you everyone!!

Splitrock821 said:
I don't want his first taste of winter hiking to be a failed ascent due to lack of appropriate equipment, so we'll probably pick something else- maybe Phelps or Cascade.

One other point: Though it's a weird winter and conditions can change quickly, some recent hikers of both Phelps and Cascade considered crampons to be very helpful if not mandatory.

rhihn said:
One other point: Though it's a weird winter and conditions can change quickly, some recent hikers of both Phelps and Cascade considered crampons to be very helpful if not mandatory.
Case in point: I was on Pitchoff just yesterday. I brought along snowshoes, but no crampons. I absolutely needed some sort of traction aid for the ascent due to ice on the lower half of the trail. The snowshoes were adequate but klunky. The descent was borderline treacherous. Crampons would have been smarter. Based on this I'd say any on-trail hiking on the steeper slopes right now might greatly benefit from crampons. Phelps and Cascade are no exception.

You can rent Stablilicers from the ADK Loj. Not sure if you can rent crampons from EMS or not. Good idea to bring them along. If your buddy doesn't know what they are, you can give him a quick intro.

Have fun,
Shayne

Big Slide 02/05/2006

We hiked Big Slide via The Brothers on Sunday. The first part of the trail you could bareboot for about a mile then you would run into sections of ice (we used crampons). On the exposed rock ledges you could bareboot again until after the Second Brother at that point we switched to snowhoes to avoid postholing. Snowshoes to the junction of Slide Brook Trail then back to crampons for the last stretch to the summit.

We kept our crampons on all the way down Slide Brook Trail because of the ice but we probably could have used our MSR Snowshoes just seemed to make sense. Fair amount of blow down in sections and the brook crossings on the Slide Brook Trail were intersting but managable.

Took us 9 hour to do this loop - we did not rush and we were fairly tired by the time we got to the Noonmark Dinner.

Of course conditions could change with a snow fall. This was a great trip due to the change in conditions. We actual got to use most everthing we carried for a change.

Good Luck
Adksteve

I would strongly suggest bringing crampons and using them if conditions warrant, although obviously conditions change from day to day. I climbed Big Slide last January going over the Brothers. There were a couple of sections on the Brothers that probably would have been easier with crampons but my MSR's handled it ok. When I got to the last 400-500' steep pitch just before the summit I was too lazy to put on my crampons even though the trail was very hard packed snow / ice. I had crampons and an ice-axe on my pack but continued up with my MSR's. I got to within 50' of the top of the steepest pitch and my snowshoes came out from under me and I ended up sliding all they way to the bottom near the JBL / Brothers trail junction. I still don't know how I made it down without some major injury. Needless to say I took my crampons and ice-axe out and gingerly proceeded to the top.

Sometimes that trail can get very slick- especially one section above the trail juncture with the Brothers.