Massachusetts, Middlesex Fells Reservation, 2-05-06

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HikerAmiga

Reaction score
This weekend, on Sunday (2-05-06), Hikerfast and I decided to visit with McRat and see his “neck of the woods”, The Middlesex Fells Reservation near his home in Malden, MA.

McRat has long boasted about his backyard’s training grounds, “The Fells” which has some similarities to my “Blue Hills” backyard. ;)

He was a great guide for us during this most unseasonable winter day with a high of 60 degrees, mostly sunny skies and nearly no breeze!! We trekked primarily along the Rock Circuit Trail and some of the Skyline Trail and zigzagging various other parts ?? until I could no longer keep these straight!

Our trek started at Noon and went through early evening, so we got in a pretty good mileage and McRat’s knowledge of this area surpassed my ability to keep good mental notes. So, as not to do a huge injustice to this report, I’ll refer you to the official park’s website for an accurate descriptions and map at: http://www.mass.gov/mdc/FELLS.HTM

Our pics are here: http://community.webshots.com/myphotos?action=viewAllPhotos&albumID=547187519

Again, thanks to McRat for showing us a good time in his “playing ground” and for enlightening us about the demographic, historical and very interesting SOCIAL elements of this area. :eek:

HikerAmiga said:
very interesting SOCIAL elements of this area. :eek:

Hey, the good weather brought out all kinds of folk.

While is is kind of unusual seeing all the men in baseball caps, dark glasses, and sneakers walking round in circles or popping up like groundhogs as we walked by... with the possible exception of the strange guy in pajama bottoms... they are usually harmless and stay in a small section of the 'fells.

Everyone's gotta have a hobby.

Though few people know it, Boston is blessed with two areas with real hiking possiblities inside Rt 128: the Blue Hills and the Middlesex Fells. Great for weekends when you cannot go further north, and useful for hibernators to get in shape as spring approaches.

There are good hiking maps for both areas, and exploring some of the less used trails is most rewarding. In the Fells most hikers stick o the Skyline Trail in the western segment, missing out on the delightful Rock Circuit and other trails in the eastern segment.

Thanks for the links to your site, Mohamed. I also agree that the side east of 93 is highly underrated. Good views, less crowds, and good variety of terrain.

Friends of the Fells has a decent paper map available from - http://www.fells.org/maps.html This link also includes the old MDC map, the least useful of the three maps I've seen.

There is a fairly decent free map available at - http://www.fellsbiker.com/maps/images/map.pdf

McRat said:
...Friends of the Fells has a decent paper map available from - http://www.fells.org/maps.html ...

Just don't make a trip to the Globe Corner Bookstore in Harvard Square. It's on their list of where you may be able to find a paper copy of the map; but it no longer exits, I'm very sad to say.

arghman said:
(Can't believe I didn't go to either when I lived in Boston for 5 yrs...)

At another forum, I posted about Blue Hills Reservation as being "greater Boston's best kept secret" and I must say that the Fells, in my view, comes in at a close 2nd! Many people in our area just aren't truly aware that we have these spectacular parks and reservations for their enjoyment! Thus, along with my hiking buddies, I was happy to report on these. :)

Also, in this area I've heard a bit about the Walden Pond Reservation in Concord, Mass. but have yet to visit and can't comment on how it compares to the Fells or the Blue Hills.

HikerAmiga said:
Also, in this area I've heard a bit about the Walden Pond Reservation in Concord, Mass. but have yet to visit and can't comment on how it compares to the Fells or the Blue Hills.
Much smaller and much less elevation gain. I would classify it as a "nature walk", while both the Fells and the Blue hills are "hikes".

More rugged than Walden, but less so than the Fells, is the Breakheart Reservation. Only been there once or twice, as it has less distance and much less elevation gain than the "big two".

Never been to the Lynn Woods, though I know they are there.

For an immense amount of information on hiking around Boston, including MBTA information, see the Boston Hiking Guide.

Rocky Narrows in Dover

This Reservation offers maybe 8 miles (counting all the spur trails) of mild trails around the Charles, starring King Philip's Overlook, which is a striking River vista. Parking is a problem , with two small lots that fill quickly on nice summer days. Drainage can also be an issue - parts are muddy or underwater in really wet seasons, such as maybe now.

Last edited:
Mohamed Ellozy said:
Never been to the Lynn Woods, though I know they are there.

Lynn Woods is one of the best kept secrets north of Boston IMO. There are so many different carriage roads, hiking trails, biking trails, quiet ponds, etc. all over the place. You can easily spend hours in there. I try to make it there once a week or at least once every other week.

It's also my favorite mtn biking spot north of Boston and one of two places I love to go snowshoeing immediately after a significant storm (Bradley Palmer being the other spot). It takes a few days before a trail is broken out there, but there is ALWAYS unbroken trails you can find even weeks after a storm (if there is still snow on the ground of course).

There are also views of the city skyline from several different points within the reservation. You used to be able to climb a stone tower there a few years ago, but the entrance has been welded shut. Also heard rumors of a small cave/mine, but haven't gone looking.

Another gem is the Weir Hill Reservation on Stevens Road in North Andover. Information and a map link can be found here: Weir Hill I prefer to park at the far entrance by Stevens Pond. From there, you can take the Stevens Trail to an awesome overlook to Monadnock and Wachusett, or walk along the lake. Both the Stevens Trail and the Scrub Oak Trail provide some decent hill climbing and nice views. It is quite a popular place and is very dog friendly.

roadtripper said:
Lynn Woods is one of the best kept secrets north of Boston IMO. There are so many different carriage roads, hiking trails, biking trails, quiet ponds, etc. all over the place. You can easily spend hours in there. I try to make it there once a week or at least once every other week.
Views to the city and ocean are spectacular from the Lynn Woods...lots of blueberries in there too in season.
BTW - it is the 2nd largest urban park in the US (after Central Park).