Stratton Mountain

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donna

Reaction score
Has anyone hike Stratton lately? Do you know if Kelley Stand Road is close in winter?

pbernard said:
The road is plowed to the AT/LT trailhead.
Presumably you mean the Stratton-Arlington Road from the E is plowed and the Kelley Stand Road from the W is not

The VT Hiker's Guide states: "From the parking area on Kelley Stand Road, follow the LT north for 3.3 miles to the tower". I was hoping to hike this way in. If Kelley Stand Road is closed, what is the best route for me take? I'll be hiking solo.

Thanks.

Come in from the east on Stratton Arlington Road from West Wardsboro. This road is almost always plowed to the trail.

Hike to Stratton Summit & Fire Tower

The road("Kelly Stand Road"..."Arlington West Wardsboro Road") is plowed to the trailhead from Rte 100...not from Arlington. The hike up the AT/LT says 3.4 miles on the sign @ the trailhead and says 3.8 on the sign @ the summit.

If your looking for the easiest way up...about 1 3/4 miles east of the trailhead there is a plowed pulloff on the south side of the road big enough for 3 or 4 cars. Across from it on the north side of the road(a little to the west near a couple of road signs) the trail, which is probably packed out, heads in @ an angle to the left. A short distance in there seems to be a fork, you go to the left...which should have a snowshoe track. About 1.3 miles you join the AT/LT. Going this way it is 2.8 miles to the summit and less elevation.

Let me know if you need more info...I'm pretty close to that area during the weekday.

Good luck!

The trail MTNRUNR mentions was known as the Stratton Mountain Trail. Up to 1988 it was the route of the AT/LT. At one time there was a sign right at the edge of the road. The trail is still easy to follow until it joins the AT/LT.

Make sure it's legal to drive that road in winter... :)

Perfectly legal...snowmobilers use it more than anyone else...

Donna, were you thinking of doing this during the week? Could possibly go along if you don't want to do it solo?

From the tower there is a trail to the top of the ski area, a bit under a mile I believe. There has been a small building open there that you can purchase at least snacks at...could even ski down(I don't ski) if you did a car spot(a bit long)...if you ski and went with others that did...or go up and down from the ski area???

Good luck anyway!

MTNRUNR,
I'm hoping to hike Stratton this Friday - Feb 10th, I'll be getting a late start, can't be at the trailhead until 11:30 - 12:00 noon. Would love some company and am interested in the shortest, easiest route, just peakbagging this time around.

Let me know if you can make it.

donna