NYC Get-together for Banff Film Festival

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Papa Bear

Reaction score
Fellow New Yorkers, I thought I'd activate this again since it's now just over a month away.

The Banff Film Festival in New York City will be Monday, March 6 and Tuesday, March 7, 2006 - 7:30 PM at the Symphony Space, 95th and Broadway (same place as last year)

I expect I'll go both nights, but I am promoting the Tuesday perfoamance as a official get-together for the NYC VFTT group. We will meet on the corner outside after the show and head to our favoraite place nearby for some drinks. New comers of course are welcome.

The web site: Banff in New York City does not yet have the 2006 films, but hey, they're always good.

So mark your calanders, Tuesday March 7.

Tickets, $17 in advance, available at:

Paragon Sporting Goods
876 Broadway at 18th Street

Extra Vertical Climbing Center
61 West 62nd Street at Broadway

Peter Norton Symphony Space
2537 Broadway at 95th St.

Last edited:
I'll try again this year to meet everyone, last year I waited across the street watching the lobsters swim around in their tank and missed everyone :(

I will try to make it as well, would love to go and see everyone at the theatre and bar afterwards.

Banff Festival in New York City

It looks like the New York City Banff organization has got their act together. I just got an email from them. Highlights:

Banff Mountain Film Festival World Tour is returning to Peter Norton Symphony Space, 2537 Broadway at 95th, 7:30 PM, Monday, March 6 and Tuesday, March 7, 2006.

Each attendee will receive a free lift ticket voucher valid Monday-Friday to Gore Mountain for the remainder of the current 2006 season.

Film Schedule:
Monday, March 6, 2006

Return2Sender: Parallelojams (The Fundamentals)
AWARD WINNER: BEST FILM ON CLIMBING (excerpt from award winning full version)
USA, 2005, 18 minutes
Directed by Peter Mortimer
Produced by Peter Mortimer & Timmy O’Neill
Focus: Crack Climbing
A hilarious and inspiring look at modern desert crack climbing, hosted by Timmy O'Neill. The Fundamentals is a special excerpt from the highly-acclaimed Parallelojams and showcases the accomplishments of crack-climbing addicts in legendary Indian Creek, Utah. This funny and insightful film offers a unique perspective on this pure form of climbing.

Balancing Point
SPECIAL JURY AWARD WINNER
USA, 2004, 6 minutes
Directed & produced by Danny Brown
Focus: Environment
This short film involves the "reverse destruction" of balanced rock sculptures. The protagonist appears to magically create the sculptures – intended to be very meditational and a manipulation of gravity and time through the simple effect of reversing the film.

The Magic Mountain
AWARD WINNER: PEOPLE’S CHOICE
Canada, 2005, 50 minutes
Directed by Pat Morrow
Produced by Baiba Auders Morrow
Focus: Culture
This film recounts the offbeat story of educator Cynthia Hunt, the founder of HEALTH (Health, Environment and Literacy in the Himalayas) in Ladakh, northwest India -- one of the highest and driest inhabited places on Earth. Her often theatrical efforts to empower illiterate women propel viewers on a rare and exhilarating journey as she hikes over 5000-metre (16,000-foot) passes and through a frozen river gorge deeper than the Grand Canyon.

High Fly Summits
France, 2005, 13 minutes
Directed & produced by Claude Adam
Focus: Skydiving, Skiing, Snowboarding
In 2004, the French Soulflyer team of Loic Jean-Albert, Val Montant and Pierre Desmet aimed to fly over many of the planet's emblematic summits. The rides in this film combine snow, mountains and high altitude with BASE jumping, wing suits, skydiving, and skiing – on Mont Blanc on the French-Italian border, and on Mount Fuji in Japan.

The Lost People of Mountain Village
USA, 2005, 15 minutes
Directed and produced by Carol Black & Neal Marlens
Focus: Environment, Satirical Humour, Culture
Anthropologist Wade Davis calls it "no less than the most spectacular archaeological and anthropological discovery of our lifetimes". Jerrold Sapphire, author of "Vanished: Why Bad Things Happen to Bad Civilizations", calls it -- well, you'll see what he calls it. When a lost backcountry skier stumbles onto a monumental complex of structures - apparently completely uninhabited - the only thing upon which experts agree is that we may never know what really happened to the lost people of Mountain Village.

The Hatch
USA, 2005, 18 minutes
Directed & produced by Ben Knight & Travis Rummel
Focus: Environment: Fly fishing
Once a year, an epic insect hatch invades Colorado's Gunnison River Gorge, sending tingles down the spine of every trout and angler in Black Canyon National Park. This film is a tribute to this extraordinary place, and to the people who will fight for its future as a unique ecosystem.

Solilochairliftquist
USA, 2005, 4 minutes
Directed & produced by “T.M.” (Thomas) Faversham
Focus: Humour
The time involved in riding chairlifts while skiing a hundred days a year can lead to many profound realizations. This short explores the complexities of life as a ski bum.

Tuesday's program on next note

Last edited:
Banff Festival in New York City

Banff Mountain Film Festival World Tour is returning to Peter Norton Symphony Space, 2537 Broadway at 95th, 7:30 PM, Monday, March 6 and Tuesday, March 7, 2006.

Film Schedule:
Tuesday, March 7, 2006

Grand Canyon Dreams
Canada, 2005, 15 minutes
Directed & produced by Will Gadd
Focus: Paragliding
Ten years ago Will Gadd flew over the Grand Canyon at 30,000 feet in a jet and thought, Hey, I wonder if you could fly a paraglider over that monster?

Return2Sender: Bug Out
USA, 2005, 10 minutes
Directed by Peter Mortimer
Produced by Peter Mortimer and Timmy O’Neill
Focus: Bouldering, Youth
Bug Out is a profile of inspiring 10-year old climbing phenomenon Cicada Jenerik, with footage of her shocking ascent of Lowrider V10 in Bishop, CA. The film is interspersed with her insightful commentary on climbing, motivation, and being ten.

Harvest Moon
USA, 2005, 39 minutes
Directed & Produced by Rob Frost
Focus: Alpine Climbing
A Swiss expedition climbs a technically challenging new route on Thalay Sagar (22,650 feet, 6900 meters) in the Garwhal Himalaya of northern India. Stephan Siegrist, Denis Burdet, Thomas Senf and Ralph Weber tackle the northwest ridge, on the right side of the mountain's 4600-foot (1400-meter) north face. Interviews with noted climbers give background and perspective on the mountain's challenges.

Charles, Edouard ou le temps suspendu (Suspended Time)
AWARD WINNER: BEST FILM ON MOUNTAIN CULTURE
France, 2003, 26 minutes
Directed & produced by Bernard Boyer
Focus: Culture
Silence and the passing of time mark the lives of two elderly brothers living on a mountain farm. For the two bachelors, isolation is a way of life. They share few words and live in a routine of caring for their animals and watching the slow cycle of the natural world.

Person as Projectile
USA, 2004, 4 minutes
Directed & produced by Matt Sheridan (Slip)
Focus: Skiing
In a breakout performance, unknown skier Julian Carr explains the mindset and the tub science required to jump “ginormous” cliffs without injury. Not wanting to be perceived as a rock star driven only by adrenaline, Julian believes that it takes not guts but rather self-confidence and knowledge of the snowpack to go big. An introspective film featuring some of the biggest jaw-dropping cliffs ever recorded, including a front flip off a 165-foot (50-meter) cliff.

Middle Kaweah
USA, 2004, 21 minutes
Directed & Produced by Scott Lindgren
Focus; Kayaking
The world’s best kayakers embark on a six-day expedition into the Sierra Nevadas to kayak a 5000-ft, 35-mile river: Middle Kaweah. It is a first descent.

The Tangerine Dream (Custom World Tour Edit)
USA, 2005, 17 minutes
Directed & produced by Todd Jones, Dirk Collins, Steve Jones, Corey Gavitt
Focus: Skiing, Snowboarding, BASE Jumping
Take a ride in the orange truck that started it all for TGR! This special World Tour version features Chris Collins throwing huge double back flips, Jeremy Jones riding wildly steep lines in Alaska, Erik Roner and Karina Hollekim BASE jumping in Europe, and an incredible session at Utah’s legendary Pyramid Gap.

Last edited:
I'll be waiting out front after 7, maybe earlier. Received this today about tickets:

Extra Vertical has sold out for both dates. Paragon Sports has approximately 20 tickets left for each night and will be selling them until 1:00 PM on Monday. Paragon is at 867 Broadway at 18th Street (they open at 10 AM) or you can order by phone (no fee) at 212.255.8889.

There are still tickets available at Symphony Space, 2537 Broadway at 95th Street. The Box Office will be open to take orders by phone (212.864.5400) from 11 AM to 7 PM, the ticket window will be open for walk- ins from 12 Noon to 8 PM, or you can order online at www.symphonyspace.org.

I'll have a black mountain hardware jacket and big red messenger bag.

see you there....

Ours in Suffern was $14 in advance, $17 at the door.

I agree with Lawn Sale, it was good and the TGR one was fun as always. They chose a pretty good opener, need something that will instantly captivate you and hold your interest for the rest of the night. Will Gadd and the grand canyon will do that nicely. Suspended Time was cool, but not in an adrenalin sort of way. Looking at your list of shows, High Fly Summits looks neat, that wasn't in Suffern...

Jay

Costs $20 today at the door, $23 tomorrow, if i want to order over the phone is another $2.50.....going to hold out and use my precious $ for the Catskill dinner...have fun..

Tonight's the night

I was at the show last night and enjoyed the films greatly. I missed seeing any VFTT folks (Warren, were you there?) but I did see a group from my running club.

I liked the short films, especially "Balancing Point" and "Solilochairliftquist", although the longer ones had a lot of thoughtful content, especially "The Magic Mountain" ("Parallelojams" had lot's of content, although I wouldn't exactly call it thoughtful :) .)

Tonight I hope to see many of the locat VFTTers. After the show, let's meet outside on the corner and we'll wait till the theater empties out to give everyone a chance to find us. Then we'll walk over to Amsterdam to that place (forget the name) we have been going to for the last couple of years.

See you there.

The Hatch and the kayaking films were just fabulous! :)