How much winter gear "Haven't" you used this "winter"?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim lombard

Reaction score
We're about half way through winter and I've been to the Whites every other weekend and have hiked some pretty exposed peaks like Jefferson etc. As I look in my pack at the end of the hike I marvel at how much of the gear I haul hasn't even been used this winter.

Goggles
Hand-warmers
Extra wool socks
12-pt crampons
Ice axe
Extra fleece jacket
balaclava

How much of the winter gear you carry haven't you used this year? Of course if I switched to my summer pack it would be 30 below, windy and icy :rolleyes: Weird winter.

Haven't used: Extra base layer, fleece mitts, first aid kit (always thankful), balaclava, extra socks.

I'll still pack it all though. I'm probably too light as it is.

-Shayne

Things I haven't used this winter:

Big thick wool mittens
Gore tex mitts
Liner gloves
Face mask
Balaclava
Extra anythings
Goggles
Fleece pants
Ice axe

Things I used this year for the first time:

Soft shell (love it!!!)
Really thin wind pants

I have done two overnighters and 2 failed attempts on Washington, so I have pretty much used everything I bring with one exception. Handwarmers have remained untouched.

Stove and pots (except for planned overnights)
balaclava
extra socks & top
spare fleece
bivy
sleeping bag
first aid kit
down jacket

Most of this I bring "just in case", so I honestly hope it doesn't get used.

I have also not needed the ice axe this year, but don't bring one all the time anyway.

I also just picked up my first softshell jacket this year and love it. I think my fleece has been retired to second duty.

I have also carried a lot I haven't used, including:

OR Gore Tex overmitts and thick poly mitten
Microsoft Puff Ball anorak
Goggles
Hand-warmers
Extra wool socks and liners
Crampons
Emergency bivy
Aqua Mira
Warm hat
Rain gear
Fleece pants

Regards,
Marty

I'm most of what has been listed as well. My biggest surprise is that my snowshoes have remained in the trunk of my car so far. I'm glad I didn't buy new ones at the beginning of the season.

Mad Townie said:
Things I used this year for the first time: Soft shell (love it!!!) Really thin wind pants

This warm winter helped me realize that I have a few 'holes' in my gear list, so I also purchased some 'medium' level gear like a thin hat, a very light (4 oz) waterproof jacket, new wind pants, thin gloves, etc.

Jkrew81 said:
I have done two overnighters and 2 failed attempts on Washington, so I have pretty much used everything I bring with one exception. Handwarmers have remained untouched.

I hear you, it took me three tries to get it in winter. Probably the reason I haven't used much of my winter gear this year was I only did one Presidential peak this winter and that day was amazing, not a breath of wind.

Artex
I'm most of what has been listed as well. My biggest surprise is that my snowshoes have remained in the trunk of my car so far. I'm glad I didn't buy new ones at the beginning of the season.

I only needed mine once this season so far. Maybe winter will make a comeback!

I have only used my snowshoes once and it was in October...have not come close to needing them since. Have not hit any mega cold either...the most I have had on my hands were lightweight liners and overmitts - usually just liners or nothing...goggles and face mask have been worn only twice. Have not worn long underwear or my primaloft parka either...

Winter Disappointment

I was all excited, bought my daughther her first pair of snowshoes for Christmas. Now everytime I go in the basement for something I look at how much dust they have accumulated.

Yeah, same here on the snowshoes. I got another pair of MSR's back in October...... I wore them in my yard one night just to get them wet.

I brought them to like 6-8 hikes this year. Even carried them 3 times. And, finally, I was on the Isolation bushwack last weekend and could have used them but they were nice and snug in the car.....

It been a weird winter. The coldest hike I was on this year was back in early December, before calendar winter.

For me it hasn't been only what winter gear I haven't used. XC skis a couple of times in not so good conditions. Snowshoes once. Mittens and parka not at all, etc.
But, how much summer gear I have used. Shorts and t-shirts with a pull-over fleece way too often.

Oh well, there's still time and a storm is supposed to be here soon :)