Ragged Mt.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cp2000

Reaction score
Howdy!

Can anyone tell if there is a hiking trail up Ragged Mountain in Danbury NH?

Thanks

SRK Greenway

I haven't done it yet, but yes, there is a trail up there. The Sunapee-Ragged-Kearsarge Greenway, which is a combination and connection of a lot of older trails in the area, passes over the moutain (purist peakbaggers will note that the true summit is slightly off of the main trail). One possible starting point is at the Proctor Academy Field House.
The latest edition of the Southern New Hampshire Trail guide describes the route in detail.
I haven't done it yet and I'd like to get up there and bag both peaks so let me know if and when you plan to go.

There are actually a number of trails on the mountain. The ones on the S from the Ragged Mtn Club are members-only, and the one from the N mentioned in old AMC guides is no longer maintained. As Eric says, the SRKG route is probably the best. They used to have good maps & guides online but their web site is in a state of flux with broken and bad links but what you want are http://www.srkg.com/trail09map.htm and http://www.srkg.com/trail09guide.htm

Note that this is called Ragged Mountain for a reason, there are a lot more bumps than the map shows. I have done several showshoe trips in the area including a couple descents of The Bulkhead and it is good practice for the Mahoosucs.

And the true summit is a short bushwhack off a side trail leading to a view ledge.

Probably the best way to get to the peaks of Ragged with the best views is to go up the SRK Greenway trail from the tennis courts at Proctor Academy in Andover. When the trail gets to the ridge, the east summit lies about 20 min to the right on the narrow Ridge Trail (true summit on right, about halfway to the east peak). The east summit has extensive views to the north, and east.
Then return to the SRK greenway and take it to the West Peak ( on the left a side trail to a good lookout over the town of Andover and Mt Kearsarge). The West Peak has views to the South and West.
A surprisingly rugged little mtn, with plenty of places to explore.