Winter sleeping pad?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danacus

Reaction score
I am going on my first winter camping trip next weekend and am wondering what most people use for a winter sleeping pad?

Winter sleeping pad

This "most person" uses a (thin) blue foam pad, 3/4 length, over a full length eggcrate style Evazote pad, Mt Washington II. I don't get cold from below and the combined pads coiled up in a cylinder are the "frame" for my ultralight frameless pack. Probably a more popular combo is to substitutesome sort of inflatable (Thermarest) for the blue foam.

Walt

thermo-rest and foam pad

In January I camped out and used my full length therma-rest and I was chilly, I decided the next time I would double up, maybe using a foam pad and the therma-rest. The temp that weekend was about 5 degrees and windy. What's your bag rated?
kmac

I use 2 full length, wide pads. RidgeRests don't insulate well, so in the winter I normally use a self-inflating (3lbs) Therm-a-Rest Expedition Large under a light-blue foam pad (1 lb) I got at Walmart. If I need to shave 2 pounds off the total carry weight, I'll use a RidgeRest (1 lb) over the Walmart pad. This combo isn't as warm, but it's half the weight and there's no worries about springing a leak. 2 pads regardless. Bag rating and loft don't help against the ground. Have fun !

I usually just use a full length Therm-a-Rest LE pad and don't worry about developing leaks. I also have a 15 mm Evazote pad and a Therm-a-Rest Camp Rest which I would more likely use car camping. You should try to use something with a R-value of 5 or more.

Pads

I use a Ridgerest with a full length regular Therm-a-Rest on top of it. A friend of mine uses a DAM - down filled air mattress- but they are heavy. I highly recommend something like our two setups. The last thing you want is to freeze your --- off because your pad isn't thick enough.

I use a Ridgerest and Prolite 3 short, only because I have them and that combo seems to be the best I have for winter.

I don't find the combination bad, but it's not my top choice either, I also wish it had a little more insulation and protection.

For me a dreamy night is spent on my 20 year old blue closed cell pad (lightweight) and a prolite 3. I'm a cold sleeper and have not slept cold yet in any conditions, of course my feet are always in booties :D

Closed Cell a Must

What ever you get for comfort will be fine but a closed cell foam pad is a must in winter. A thermarest is NOT enough. You can put a -30 bag on a thermarest and still get very cold, even in a leanto. So what ever you do buy the cheap blue foam pad for winter. I put mine on top of my thermarest. I think it's great you're asking these questions. Too many people have to learn the hard way. Like me!

Last edited:
Reekee said:
What ever you get for comfort will be fine but a closed cell foam pad is a must in winter. A thermarest is NOT enough. You can put a -30 bag on a thermarest and still get very cold, even in a leanto. So what ever you do buy the cheap blue foam pad for winter. I put mine on top of my thermarest. I think it's great you're asking these questions. Too many people have to learn the hard way. Like me!

I always thought it worked better the other way around. closed cell on bottom, thermarest on top...

Reekee said:

You are most certainly not alone on this one! I spent a chilly night on the snow my first winter overnight and thought my bag was to blame. Then when I broke down camp and saw the outline of my bag in the snow under the tent, I realized my mistake. Lessons learned!

Jasonst said:
You are most certainly not alone on this one! I spent a chilly night on the snow my first winter overnight and thought my bag was to blame. Then when I broke down camp and saw the outline of my bag in the snow under the tent, I realized my mistake. Lessons learned!

I did the same thing! My parents bought me a 0 bag some years ago when I first decided I enjoyed hiking and camping. For my first run I camped in the back yard sans pad (maybe 20 degrees). I FROZE! :eek:

0 degree bag my ____! Then it was kindly pointed out to me that I needed a sleeping pad to insulate me from the ground. Ooooooh, whoops. Then I was introduced to a therma-rest, and my outdoor sleeping has been forever changed.

For winter now I use a ridge rest and a 3/4 length therma-rest.

I've heard that the Ridge Rest is supposed to be the warmest because it traps a lot of warm air in the voids between the ridges and your bag.

Stacking

DougPaul said:
Some people seem to think so.

I'm not convinced that the stacking order makes much difference.

Doug

Doug you're right, it doesn't make a difference with the cold but for me I slide around less on the foam than I do on the therma-rest. I do laps when I sleep. Stay warm, Reekee

Last edited:
Using only a thermarest

I get cold when I use only a thermarest as well. I have a full length guide light and still need a z rest 3/4 length as well...Might have to try the blue pad a lot of you have suggested.

Some local guides only suggest using a Crazy Creek Chair kit (as a pad) and stuffing your pack and extra clothing underneath....Burrr!!!!

Last edited:
I use the 2 pad method in cold of winter. A Z-rest or ridgerest and and untralight therma-rest has worked to sub zero temps with no problems at all..

Having the Z or Ridge is helpful for sitting around outside or even a comfy seat in a hut. Shake the snow off and presto it's ready to slide under (or over) the other.