Baxter SP

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ytmountains

Reaction score
Baxter SP... Heading to Kidney Pond this coming weekend ... was wondering if anyone has been on the perimeter road recently.

If so please let me know if I need to put wheels on my sled!! :rolleyes:
Or if sled is no longer an option :mad:

Seriously, any reports out there for us.
Thanks in advance

I was sort of kidding. I talked to Joe's daughter at Matagamon on Sunday and they WERE getting some snow from the storm (we only got 4-5 inches here in the Bangor area). They are also sledding so things can't be too bad. Some of us are headed in on Friday through the North part of the park and are hoping there is enough snow to ski and pulk to Russell. I was in Greenville on Saturday and there is NOT enough to ski. I would expect less snow on the south side of Katahdin than in the northern part of the park.

good luck and have fun!
spencer

We're heading up there this weekend too. We've been hearing that thy're may be barely enough for sledding in....we're certainly hoping. Really want to x-cross country in.....but we'll see.

I just got off the phone with HQ:

they are reporting a base of 11" in the park (a huge generalization, of course) and for our purposes, the route to Russell is "open"

they are due for a couple days of light flurries this week and they got 1/2" of fresh snow on Sunday.

are either of you the Meyer party going to Abol?

spencer

Nope. We are going to hike into the bunkhouse at Nesowadnehunk. Can't wait! This ought to be great!

Last edited:
spencer said:
I just got off the phone with HQ:

they are reporting a base of 11" in the park (a huge generalization, of course) and for our purposes, the route to Russell is "open"

spencer

I should've asked you before. Do you have a phone number we can call to find the conditions on our route? That would be great if you do.

What I just said is all they will likely be able to tell you. They don't give reports for specific areas, that's why I said it's a vast generalization to say there is an 11" base.

areas that see snowmobiles (including the Williams Pond Rd.) will likely be in better shape than other trails b/c the consolidated snow lasts better. You can call HQ at 723.5140 but I doubt if they'll give you any specific info on that area.

let us know if they have any more info!

spencer

I just called up there to see if I could get any more info....all we care about(well not all), but anyway, we just want to be able to use our x-country skis to get in. They said there was probably just barely enough for that and there would most likely be some icy spots as well. I'm kinda bummed, they have some new bunkhouses that we thought we were going to be able to use this year, apparently they're not going to be ready until next year. :( Oh well, we'll still have fun! Good luck to you on your trip.