Backcountry telemark

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Conditions in Northern VT are pretty darn good right now, but getting skied out fast. My advice, hurry!

-dave-

Conditions in the Dax are pretty dismal. You'll have to hike to get to any skiiable terrain. I saw people skinning in to Marcy Dam on Saturday, but I wouldn't have taken my skis on that snow(or lack of). I heard talk that Avalanche Pass is decent, but you'll have to walk until past Marcy Dam to reach any snow. Not sure of the Marcy trail.

Unless 2+ feet drops in the next couple days I would look elsewhere. Let me know if you find any good powder though.

Bob

Thanks for the advice. Northern VT has the most snow, but it is supposed to rain on Friday :( . I will go to the Laurentians instead. It is supposed to snow every day there until Saturday, no rain :) . My Northeast US telemark trip will be next year.

Was wondering where in the Laurentians you are headed? I do a lot of cross-country skiing up there and allthough the base is plenty thick enough, the conditions are a little on the "firm" side right now. If you are heading to one of the larger centres like Tremblant I'm sure the grooming will be first class.

Another area you might want to consider is the Chic-Chocs in the Gaspesie region see...Chic-Chocs
click on Chic-Chocs and then Snow Conditions for the latest update. Right now they have 4 to 5 feet of base. You can also contact them at 1-800-665-3091

I'm heading off up there next week for a 6 day hut to hut back country trip....cant wait!!

Have fun Telemarking wherever you go.

Last edited:
Prino:

I’m planning on going to the Johannsen Peak (Tremblant backcountry). I will skin up the Edge, then on the Tremblant ridge to Johannsen Peak via Pangman peak. Down to the base of the Edge from there. Have you ever been there? They forecast snow everyday until the weekend. I see that you are from the Montreal area. I would be glad to have some company. I’m planning to go on Sunday. Let me know if you want to join me.

I would need to take days off to go to the Chic-Chocs, but I can’t. Are you going to Mount Logan?

I organize four backcountry ski weekend trips each winter. Usually, we go three times to Mont-Tremblant (Liteau, Lac-Ernie and Lac-des-Sables) and the fourth one is Inter-Centre (traverse from St-Donat to Lac-Superieur via Montagne Noire and Montagne Grise). I’m always looking for people to come with us. Let me know if you could be interested, but it is going to be for next year because three trips are already done and the last one (Inter-Centre) is full.

Y.L.

I would love to join you for Tremblant ridge this Sunday but have something else planned unfortunately.
The trail over Montagne Noire is one I had planned to do sometime this winter. I have hiked up there twice from the St Donat side already, but conditions weren't suitable for skiing (very icy) The conditions up there should be good from now on .... like you say they are receiving just snow up there for the next few days.
Let me know if you are going up that way in March.

I was up in Morin Heights today and they had about 4" of fresh snow this morning. It did go above the freezing mark for a few hours but snow should dry out once it goes down again.

Yes, we'll be going to the Mt. Logan sector of the Chic-Chocs.... should be up there on the 25th.