? for backpackers: spoon, fork or both

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I suck everything up with a straw. :)

Just kidding, add 1 for a $9 (on 20% club day) Peak One titanium Spork for me.

I once bought a pocket-knife thing that had basic utensils in it from a company that makes cheap stuff, called Cochlans. I used it once and the next time I tried to use it, there was more rust on it than the Titanic, I tossed it out after I got back.

Jay

anyway, here's another vote for Titanium spork!!! i love the freakin thing :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been using these for a long long time. I bought a few sets years ago, but they have never worn out. These Polycarbonate spoons are virtually indestructable.

Noodles Shpoodles!!! :D I break'em all up into tiny bits before I cook them - Same thing with Spaghetti - No need for a fork Ever!!!!

Like Pete Says, if I need to, I always have my fingers!!! Of course, One has to remember right hand for everything going in and left hand for everything coming out. Or Whooops, did I get them mixed up again!?!?!?

Spoon, always.

Summer = Lexan
Winter = MSR titanium. Comes in handy when you have to dismantle a stove/fix a snowshoe (I have done both with it) It is also bigger than Snow Peak's spork.

The lexan is a few grams lighter than the titanium, but then everything is heavier in winter.

COOL THREAD!

-percious

Last edited by a moderator:
No one else uses chopsticks? ;)

Just curious, how many people have forgot there utensil of choice and liberated 3-4 plastic spoons from Dunkin Donuts on the ride up?

Also, anyone else have to go the convenience store coffee mug route b/c of the same forgetfulness??

Maybe its just me.

peace.

Jaytrek57 said:
No one else uses chopsticks? ;)

Just curious, how many people have forgot there utensil of choice and liberated 3-4 plastic spoons from Dunkin Donuts on the ride up?

Also, anyone else have to go the convenience store coffee mug route b/c of the same forgetfulness??

Maybe its just me.

peace.

yep - a few times. I even forgot all that once and had to eat with a stick from the ground.

Pete_Hickey said:
What good does lightweight do if you are hiking with someone who is slower than you.

I'm with you Pete. If I'm hiking with my wife everything goes in the pack. It's no fun hiking faster and waiting. I'm a big guy, I think I can handle carrying sporks for a scout troop.

So, if I get the pleasure of hiking with anymore of you VFTT'ers and you are in a quandry thinking to yourself, "Should I carry both the spoon and fork?". Fear not I will carry that fork for you.

-Shayne

Another for Titanium Spork.

It's lightweight, does double duty, and I can bend it and fit it inside my titanium pots ;)

Pete_Hickey said:
What good does lightweight do if you are hiking with someone who is slower than you. The extra weight will slow you down a bit, and you will hike at a speed closer to that of your partner.

Well, here are potential advantages of going lightweight:
1. Less fatigue; more energy to gather water and explore around the campsite
2. Less shoulder and hip pain
3. Less strain on knees and ankles
4. Less pack weight could allow you to switch to lighter footwear
5. Since you have a light load, you could take some of gear from the slower hiker, so that he/she could hike a bit faster. Perhaps you can experiment until you reach speed equilibrium

Marty

marty said:
Since you have a light load, you could take some of gear from the slower hiker, so that he/she could hike a bit faster. Perhaps you can experiment until you reach speed equilibrium

If I was carrying a 60LB pack and my wife was carrying a fanny pack I'd still be hiking faster.

I hear you about the joints and agree that you should go as light as possible while still being comfortable.

The offer to carry your fork still stands though. ;)

-Shayne

I usually carry a Lexan spoon and fork and knife. All that extra weight hasn't seemed to ruin any trips so far.

Chalk up another for the Snow Peak Ti Spork!

I used to just grab a plastic spoon from the cafeteria at work, then got the spork as a gift...

Can't help it...I'm titanium afflicted!
Sporks,cups,pans

The weight savings allows me to carry a bigger flask! :D

Anybody seen a titanium flask on sale???

cbcbd said:
:)
When I get married I'm getting a titanium band.
be careful with that one. I went that route......the titanium bands are pretty cheap, so it might give your dear bride the wrong idea: that she can spend MUCH more on her band......... :eek: