Bears Are Out in NH

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waumbek

Reaction score
Avatar: "World's Windiest Place" Stamp (5/27/06)
Here's an unusual sight for mid-February: a bear out of hibernation. They "sleep" lightly in winter but they don't normally come out and climb 20 feet up into a tree. Except for this odd, warm winter. I was on an overnight trip in No. NH and late in the day we came across a bear den. The bear treed. Given the droppings around the den, I suspect that it was a female with recently born cubs so we did not hang around long enough for me to angle around her and get a frontal photo in the tree. I'll go back sometime in spring after they're gone and have a look. I marked the spot carefully on the topo map. It was only about 0*F when we stumbled over her but the last week or more has been above freezing every day.

Nice shots of the bear. I feel bad for these bears, since the weather won't make up its mind. We've had variable winters in the past, but this one must rank as one of the more topsy turvey. It was 62 degrees last Thursday, then we had hail, thunder, and 60+ gusts friday that put an end to our late April-like weather. And now, here in southern NH, in a couple days its gonna be 40 again! There will probably be a widespread 30 inch snowfall in March and then spring will come in early. :)

grouseking

I've had a bear walking around my woods....saw it and its tracks!

Last edited: