Solo hiking

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sapblatt

Reaction score
Question for the masses...

I know that the hiking clubs and organizations mainly do not give awards or specigy anything special for hiking solo, but if you were to tell everyone that "you hiked solo" what would it mean to you?

Obviously it is a solo hike if you set out alone on a remote trail or bushwhack and see no one all day, but what if:

1. Would you consider it a solo hike if you set out alone on a popular trail like the Old Bridal Path and saw other hikers all day long, but other that exchanging pleasantries (or unpleasantries) you kept to yourself?

2. Is it a solo hike if you go to the summit of Mount Washington alone, see an old hiking friend and descend with that person?

3. Is it a solo hike if you go out alone and run into a group of other hikers and finish the day with them, even though you set out alone in the morning?

Just wondering what everyone thinks...I think number one qualifies, but numbers two and three do not...

sapblatt said:
1. Would you consider it a solo hike if you set out alone on a popular trail like the Old Bridal Path and saw other hikers all day long, but other that exchanging pleasantries (or unpleasantries) you kept to yourself?

This was a solo hike.

sapblatt said:
2. Is it a solo hike if you go to the summit of Mount Washington alone, see an old hiking friend and descend with that person?

Did half the hike solo.

sapblatt said:
3. Is it a solo hike if you go out alone and run into a group of other hikers and finish the day with them, even though you set out alone in the morning?

Started solo but became a "just a hike".

IMHO :D
Keith

I always solo hike, except when I bring my son in the Keltie. So, number one applies to me. I wouldn't consider the other two to be true solo hikes.

Gotta agree with the previous replies. I'm hoping to hike with my own little hiker in a Kelty as WhiteMTHike does, and would consider that a solo too.

I did a true solo in every sense of the word this past weekend. I was the only car at the trailhead, first to sign in that day on the register, broke trail all the way in to the lake I hiked to, followed my footprints all the way out with no other prints in or crossing mine, signed out with no other names below mine.

I think there is a better question of whether or not it matters if you call it solo or not? Is it for bragging rights? Are you trying to solo all 48ers? (then it might matter) To a greater extent one could consider the fact that the trail had been previously created by other humans and you are using the after affects of their doing, and therefore not solo. This could also be considered if you are using a map, or other charting device. Is any of us truely solo? How many people do you think are involved in your hike, from the makers of your clothes to the people that pump the gas which ends up in your tank?

I hike solo when I must to hike solo. It is a rare occurance, and usually involves a considerable amount more preparation, and safety equipment. I don't really try to go solo, and I try to use well travelled trails when I am forced to solo.

Did Reinhold Messner really solo Everest? His companion stayed with him for much of the journey. Did he only solo "part" of it?

I have been on solo trips where I did not see another human being from start to end of the trip. I would say these are truely solo trips, but also very rare.

Does it count as solo if you meet a set of stray dogs and lead them to safety?

I think a more important question is what does it mean to you.

To me, hiking solo means communing with nature on my terms, or the terms nature, without another human beings interaction. My trip on Friday was solo until I ran into a happy couple walking down the Lakes road.

-percious

I think it's mostly in the mind and up to the individual. To me, there is also a difference between hiking solo and hiking by yourself. There is a difference, in my mind, between hiking Old Bridal Path by yourself and seeing 100 people and hiking say, (as I did once) Garfield and Galehead solo and seeing not a soul all day long (not even a car in the parking lot). That feels solo. Just my opinion though.

It's a risky scenario to quantify. Person A and Person B do not know each other. They start 30 seconds apart and remain that way throughout the hike. Now, Person C and Person D know each other; they drive to the trailhead together and they hike 30 seconds apart as well. Is one a "solo" hike? I often times hike ahead or behind (sometimes 20 minutes ahead/behind) my hiking partners but I never thought of it as "solo". It's all in your mind, I guess.

If you show up to the trailhead and all your friends now hate you and throw rocks at you because you're a numb-skull, so you hike 100' ahead of them just so you don't get nailed in the head with a rock, I guess you're hiking solo!!! :cool: :p

-Dr. Wu

I consider it a solo hike if I find myself saying, "If I get in a jam now will anybody ever find my remains?"

Stan said:
I consider it a solo hike if I find myself saying, "If I get in a jam now will anybody ever find my remains?"
Right, just like Messner's ascension of Everest solo :eek: Solo means without any contacts whatsoever...I rarely do solo I always end up meeting somebody on the trail anyway.

I would say you're hiking solo if you go out by yourself and stay by yourself. I'd say you were lucky enough to be hiking in solitude if you saw or met no one along the way.

the "mom" rule

Stan said:

Along the same lines:

"If my Mom knew I was out here doing this she would not be happy!"

If I have to make sure that my husband knows where I am and what time I'm supposed to be home and which trails I'm using and then force myself to stick to that as much as possible then it's a solo hike. I love to hike solo. If I leave the house alone, get to the trailhead alone and back to my car alone, it's a solo hike. And they are my most memorable hikes. Usually when I hike alone I don't run into too many other people because of where I choose to hike. I think in the Whites you might be hiking by yourself, but with lots of other people around to help you in a potential situation. Different than "solo" hiking maybe? I don't know, I don't have much experience in the Whites. But the experiences I've had there were always lots of people. How do you solo hikers get some quality alone time in the whites? I'd like to do more hiking there, but it seems so busy. Any suggestions?

Toe Cozy said:
Usually when I hike alone I don't run into too many other people because of where I choose to hike. I think in the Whites you might be hiking by yourself, but with lots of other people around to help you in a potential situation. Different than "solo" hiking maybe? I don't know, I don't have much experience in the Whites. But the experiences I've had there were always lots of people. How do you solo hikers get some quality alone time in the whites? I'd like to do more hiking there, but it seems so busy. Any suggestions?
When I hike in the Whites, usually alone or with one or two other people, I rarely come across people. You just know when to go where. I've hiked both Crawford Path to Washington and the Lincoln/Lafayette Loop and not seen a soul. Or else you can bushwhack or walk trails that don't go to a 4K. You can climb 4k's by utilizing unusual trails, abandoned trails, bushwhacks, logging roads etc. Or hike 4ks on weekdays or start at 4am. There are lots of ways to get solitary or near-solitary experiences almost anywhere in The Whites.

-Dr. Wu

I almost exclusively hike solo; it's just my preferred means of hiking. "Solo," to me, means that I don't have any companions on the drive up, at the trailhead, or during the hike, and I go at my own pace. If I stop and chat with another hiker I pass or meet along the way, which I am often wont to do, it's still a solo hike. It ceases to be a solo hike until I'm matching my pace with someone else's, really.

The solo hikes that I relish are the ones mentioned above, where I don't see a soul all day long.

I'd agree , 1 is solo, 2 & 3 are not. If looking at peakbagging solo (I've got that as one of my variations of "the list", 41 done solo) than 1/2 doesn't count anymore than starting a hike in winter on the solstice & finishing in Spring.

I have a couple of those examples myself. The first hike I did with Chomp he showed up late like usual & caught me after I summitted Field, we then headed off for Tom & down, i did not count Field as a solo.

When I did The Brother's Coe & Fort solo, I did N. Brother solo & came across a group thinking about doing Fort. I was not comfortable doing it solo as a non-bushwhacker & a couple of years after the fatality on Fort. We talked each other into going over & back. One on N.B> they headed down, I countinued on the loop over SB & Coe. Three solos, one non-solo.

For me hiking solo means that from preparation to end of hike I decide everything and I take full responsability for everything that might happen. I prepare my pack as if nobody else would be on the trail, so I don't care about people I pass by, it's like they don't exist. I mean I say HI and everything, but I can't count on them to help me if somethings goes wrong.

Last December I did Allen, and I was supposed to meet a group at 6:00am but I was coming from MTL that morning. No way I could be there on time, so I told them to start without me. I started at 8:00, and saw them briefly when they were coming down the slide, I was going up. Besides that, alone all the way, except for the last mile (I catched up on one guy from the group).

Was that solo hiking ? For me, yes.

Is there a patch or some kind of recognition for hiking solo for the 4k's or whatever list? Is it internal pride, sense of accomplishment? I tend to hike solo b/c i tend to go on hikes spontaneously. I don't enjoy coordinating schedules w/ other people and limiting options. That said, i do enjoy hiking w/ other people for the social aspect, but i am comfortable in my abilities to go out by myself. For all of the people seeking solitude, you just need to come to Maine. I hiked the Bigelows today, and didn't see a single person anywhere. When i came across the ridge today, there weren't even any tracks at all. It didn't look like anyone had gone across since the last snowstorm, which has been quite a long time.

The definition of hiking solo for me is not the number of people I might expect to encounter on any given trail. It is whether or not I set out alone, with no expectation of interaction with or assistance from others (even if it's Mt. Marcy!).

Dick

I like to hike solo, because I'm an unsociable bxxxxrd. I'm a grouch, and just prefer being alone. So, I'm alone, whether I'm on a busy trail, or whether I'm doing a winter bushwhack between two remote peaks. Same thing to me... I don't have to waste my time talking to anyone.

Unfortnately, since my accident a few years ago, my family is pushing me not to hike alone.... So... to anyone I've been hiking with lately.. I'm just hiking with you to shut up my family... Sorry, but you must know how unsociable and unfriendly I am, right?

Pete_Hickey said:
I like to hike solo, because I'm an unsociable bxxxxrd. I'm a grouch, and just prefer being alone. So, I'm alone, whether I'm on a busy trail, or whether I'm doing a winter bushwhack between two remote peaks. Same thing to me... I don't have to waste my time talking to anyone.

Unfortnately, since my accident a few years ago, my family is pushing me not to hike alone.... So... to anyone I've been hiking with lately.. I'm just hiking with you to shut up my family... Sorry, but you must know how unsociable and unfriendly I am, right?

Agreed...when we met you, we immediately branded you a grouch and an unsociable bxxxxrd. Certainly don't waste your time talking to Pete, and definitely do NOT hike with him, or you will be miserable and will regret it. (Pete, let me know if you want any further assistance...):D

timmus said:
For me hiking solo means that from preparation to end of hike I decide everything and I take full responsability for everything that might happen. I prepare my pack as if nobody else would be on the trail, so I don't care about people I pass by, it's like they don't exist.
This is closest to my definition of solo. It's about personal responsibility and freedom to make decisions. When I am in total control of ALL decision making 24 hours a day while in the woods, then I'm solo. Often I'm bushwhacking and pondhopping with Hornbeck canoe where I will see no one else. If I decide to skip a pond or to add another one without consulting anyone or having anyone to consult, then I'm solo. If I really want to push on to dusk to find a better campsite than the spot I find myself in without having to consider how tired anyone with me is, then I'm solo. (Of course any route plan change will still be within the range of bounds set by my pre-trip itinerary I have left at home and/or discussed with DEC ranger friends.)

Last edited:
"Solo" hiking requires self reliance

Referencing Stan's comment:s consider it a solo hike if I find myself saying, "If I get in a jam now will anybody ever find my remains?"
I feel solo hiking is a matter of self reliance.
1. If you are making all decisions about your hike (and not in a group)
2. Fully expect that if something goes seriously wrong,you'll have to survive an overnight bivy alone (and carry the "right stuff" to do that)
3. Enjoy meeting other hikers on trail but proceed alone.
4. Pick a route that's not a tourist trap while your on it. Ie: Cant imagine a "solo" hike on Saturday am into Tucks but a Monday night ascent may very well be truly solo meeting the criteria of 1 and 2 and 4 above and thus requiring complete self reliance.