Lightweight stove choice?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MadRiver said:
Here is an odd question, yet I going to ask it anyway. Why can they not make a stove that uses both a canister and white gas? Or do they? If I look at the MSR SimmerLite and the WindPro, they look like the exact same stove except for the fuel. Admittedly I am not an expert on stoves, so there might be some physics at work that would prevent this switchover from taking place. Yet to an untrained observer, it looks like all they would have to do is switch the apparatus that attaches to the fuel canister/bottle. Please explain, with some degree of civility if you don’t mind. :)

Primus Varifuel, and a few others, do just what you are saying. All you have to do is swap the jet where the fuel comes out and it will run anything from canister fuel to white gas to jet fuel.

To answer the original question, I have the Pocket Rocket and it performs just as everyone describes. If you end up buying one, spend a few extra bucks and get the leg attachment (it's a collapsable plastic piece that the canister sits in). It adds alot of stability. 2 years of use and never had a problem.

I have a Rocket Pocket and like it. Like the case it comes in, too. I've wondered if putting a closed foam "cover" around the fuel cannister would help it in colder weather? Also have an Esbit stove but have used it only as a test to see if if would heat water for tea; decided it is better to bring a thermos. I think I've seen fuel tablets for it at Walmart.

A cautionary tale if I may be so bold. Two years ago I took my sister up Mt Crawford in the fall to view the foliage. As usually, I brought along my stove to heat some soup during lunch at the summit. I placed the stove in a sheltered spot and placed a windscreen that someone gave me (not original to the stove) around the stove and lit it off. After a few minutes, the stove sputtered and went out. I did a quick check and realized that I ran out of fuel. Oh well, the soup was hot enough to drink and I thought nothing further about the stove. I returned home and before I put the stove away I noticed that the starter button on the ignition had melted. Being somewhat perplexed, I brought the stove into EMS where I purchased it and explained the problem. To make a long story short, I had placed the windscreen too close to the stove and the heat melted the plastic ignition button. I also realized that if I hadn’t run out of fuel, there would have been a good, if not absolute, chance that the canister would have exploded. Since that time, if I do use the windscreen I make certain that half of the canister is open and only the side where the wind is blowing has a screen.

eruggles said:
I have a Rocket Pocket and like it. Like the case it comes in, too. I've wondered if putting a closed foam "cover" around the fuel cannister would help it in colder weather?
Probably not. The evaporating fuel cools the canister--heat needs to flow into the canister to evaporate the fuel. I've seen frost form on a canister in above freezing conditions.

Doug

DougPaul said:
The evaporating fuel cools the canister--heat needs to flow into the canister to evaporate the fuel.
Who was it that had configured a copper-wire contraption that goes around the canister, then into the flame where it collects heat, which is trabnsferred tot he canister. It lets you use it more efficiently in colder (not cold) weather.

Wow,I feel so left out..I don't own a Pocket Rocket. I'll throw my vote to the Primus Classic(Yellowstone) and the Primus Techno Trail. My classic is 8 years old used year round and the piezo has never failed.
I have always preferred the Primus fuel,as easier to use in winter,compared to the MSR fuel. The new Primus 4 season fuel is a bit of a dissapointment,though. I expected it to perform much better at low temps.

eruggles said:
I have a Rocket Pocket and like it. Like the case it comes in, too. I've wondered if putting a closed foam "cover" around the fuel cannister would help it in colder weather?

No.

Ok, they want 10 characters.

No.

sli74 said:
If you stick a hand warmer in the cover next to the canister, that might help somewhat.

sli74

Have tried that, it didn't work.

Correction: Tried carrying canister in coat prior to stopping. Placed warmed canister in cozy with heat pack. Still didn't work.

Alas, I'm sticking to white gas in winter.

Margaret

Last edited:
It works somewhat but not well. I had 2 canisters and warmed one between my legs (don't place it right next to your skin, that is painful as I found out) while using the other one.

I placed a blue foam pad on the ground, then a chemical warmer, it might have been one of those larger body size ones, not the hand size ones, under the canister. It works for about 10 minutes like this and then I shut it off and switched to a warmer canister . . . a pain but at the time I was scared by the white gas stoves.

Now, I am used to the white gas stoves and use that. Though on Rainier, 2 different white gas stoves crapped out while another member's Jetboil worked wonders, though the temps were pretty moderate.

Anyway, worth a try.

sli74

As for the concerns with the windscreen and heating up the canister - don't use the heat reflective one.

I cut the end of my Ridgerest and use that as a windblocker (Tie the circle together with something or it won't stay closed). Cuts the wind, it's lightweight, and won't reflect back so much heat as to make your outdoor kitchen volatile :D

I have heard of people using an aluminum cupcake foil as a windbreak on their Pocket Rocket, but obviously have never used one myself. I just found it while doing some research on it.

I have a few of the Esbits, and while they are OK, I wouldn't use one long term as they are rather slow and don't boil well.

That's interesting on the peziometer melting, but it makes sense. I've never had anothing other than a gas grill that uses them though.

My brother has a Primus Himalaya that can use the cannister and the white gas. It's also nice that the pump is all aluminum, no plastic to break. I wish MSR would develop something like that.

Lawn Sale said:
I have heard of people using an aluminum cupcake foil as a windbreak on their Pocket Rocket, but obviously have never used one myself. I just found it while doing some research on it.

A foam sleeping pad makes a handy wind break.

I've seen folks manage well with canisters in 20° winter temps. I've seen them work in a hanging kit in the low single digits. That person, after that trip, switched to white gas, I think. If I'm melting my water I bring white gas, if not I'll consider canisters in the cold.

It's worth noting if it hasn't been mentioned yet that use of a canister by mountaineers has a lot to do with increased performance at high altitudes.

I use a Primus stove year round,but you have to use all the tricks to make it work. Just started using the Primus 4 season fuel,but I'm not impressed. Primus seems to light easier than MSR.
About a half hour before you stop on the trail,toss a cannister inside your jacket.
If it's not too cold(below 20) wrap your hands around the cannister to warm it,then as soon as it lights wrap a windscreen around it to push the heat down to the cannister. Make sure the cannister doesn't over heat this way!
Toss a cannister in your sleeping bag at night.
Put a mousepad under the cannister to insulate it from the ground or snow.
Put a handwarmer pack under the cannister.
A full cannister maintains pressure,and is easier to light than a partial. I retire my partial cannisters for use with a lantern,where full pressure isn't needed.
Carry a thermos of hot water to warm the cannister,then use the water to prime the pan for snowmelt. Then fill the thermos with hot soup for later.