good peak to view sunset, adk

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adk_dib

Reaction score
what is a good non-46er to view the paeks from at sunrise and sunset? Interested in a peak about 1500-2000 foot climb so I can lug my camping equip up and park it overnight.

Adk_dib said:
what is a good non-46er to view the paeks from at sunrise and sunset? Interested in a peak about 1500-2000 foot climb so I can lug my camping equip up and park it overnight.

Noonmark.

And almost any mountain with a firetower. Most of them are still climbable. Some that come to mind are Adams, Hurricane, (can't climb the tower but summit is bare), Poke-O-Moonshine, (A little shorter than your criteria), Snowy, (nice flat area for camping near the summit), and Azure.

Adk_dib said:
I just thought of something. How about camping on MT Jo and MT vanhovenburg? Could park the meadows right?

Mt. Jo is private property, owned by the ADK. You'd have to call and ask about that, but I expect the answer is NO. There is of course plenty of camping available for a fee around the Loj. You could walk up Mt. Jo from the campsite and watch the sun rise/set in less than 1/2 hour.

Not sure about Mt. V.

Kane Mnt.

One night this past fall my husband (ADacKr) and I climbed up Kane Mnt. (just outside of Caroga Lake). There was a full moon that night and we got to the top of the tower just in time to watch the beautiful sunset and then amazing rising of the full moon. Although it's a mere .5 miles to the top, the fire tower offers a really nice view all around.

Well, it can't be over 3500 feet if you want to camp there.

If you're hauling stuff up, I suspect you'd like a trail, not a bushwhack.

You want sunrise and sunset, so you should have decent views both east and west, not a large peak blocking it.

Those limit it somewhat within the High Peaks. Move further away, and you'll find something.

Tom's idea of a peak with a firetower is good for many reasons.

Try Snowy in the central DAKs. It's got a tower, you can camp up top and there is a good (restored) firetower. There is even a good level "camp" spot that has has a great -VIEW- **

Wakley might be another decent choice.

** - credit to Lumberzac, it's his photo in the link. I had a hazy day on my trip and my photos don't it justice.

Last edited:
Pharaoh Mt. would work. There is a couple of spots on the summit for a tent, and it has great views to the west and east so you could have both sun set and sun rise.

all great suggestions and I thank everyone. I would like to do one I havent climbed before (peakbagging sysndrome :D ), and I have done each of the ones suggested. I was thinking of something like snow mtn next to rooster comb. I could also double up lower wolfe jaw which I havent done yet. Is there a place on snow? keep em coming, I know I am not the only one interested.

Yeah, that stinks that Giant blocks the view. That is what I hated about trekking in the Nepal Everest region, Everest and Lhotse block my view into Tibet :mad: . I was going to suggest the Giant Nubble. There is also a bald knob on the north trail to Giant that comes to mind, that would not have eye sores like Giant blocking yor view. :D