Thread: Galehead 02/20/06

Galehead 02/20/06

Monday morning I woke about around 4 a.m., an hour before my alarm was to go off. I tried to get a bit more sleep before getting up but it was useless. So, just before 5 I rolled out of my sleeping bag, got dressed, packed my pack and headed on down the 19 Mile Brook Trail under the light of my headlamp. My trek out took me a bit longer than I had anticipated due to one of my crampons repeatedly falling off. The day before it had given me some trouble and I was cursing at myself for not taking care of it the night before. Oh well.

Jumping into the car I headed off towards Gorham for a quick bite to eat and a cup of coffee and then made my way to Lyons Hospitality where I met up with Kmac. Upon arriving I re-packed my pack once again and then we were off to Beaver Brook where we started just after 9:30 or so.

We made good time and were at the trailhead in about 20 minutes or so and then we started our long walk up the Gale River Trail. It was a really pleasant day to be out and it was nice to finally have some warm sunshine! After the first two river crossings we soon passed a couple who were headed to Galehead as well. After chatting for a bit we continued on and finally reached the hut around 12:30. Grabbing a quick bite to eat and dropping our packs we then made our way up the summit.

Back at the hut we discussed the possibility of going up South Twin but with it being so late in the day we decided to save it for another day. Anyway, it was kind of cloudy so the views would not have been that great. The first part of the way out went by real fast but for some reason the last two miles seemed to go for ever and ever!

Karen thanks so much for joining me on this hike! Too bad Satori could not make itÖ.next time letís make her call in sick!

Here are some photos from our hike.

http://community.webshots.com/user/mbaross

-MEB

H: Brighton, MA, Avatar :Brian and I at the 2005 Ski Gathering
    You are AMAZING . . . I could barely motivate myself to eat dinner after I got out from the Hut trip. Sounds like great end to a packed weekend.

sli74
    LIFE, I shall persevere! Everytime you knock me down, I will get up stronger.

Agreed--you are amazing, you hiking machine!!!! Glad you had a wonderful day
    -katie
    Peace is always beautiful
    -Walt Whitman

Amazing, and a little bit crazy methinks!
    May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

I'll fourth the the amazing comment! I have no doubt you're going to finish the winter 48 this winter!

- Ivy

Thumbs down Winter Peak Bagger

MEB promises me that she's going to retire, officially, from peakbagging once the Winter 48 is done and hike every obscure, weird thing with myself and Eric and myself and Eric only!!

Say good bye to Gale Head.

-Dr. Wu
    To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.
    -Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by dr_wu002
    MEB promises me that she's going to retire, officially, from peakbagging once the Winter 48 is done and hike every obscure, weird thing with myself and Eric and myself and Eric only!!

-Dr. Wu
    Thanks for the invitaion -

MEB - You are really tearing up the winter list - amazing job. When you get a goal there is no stopping you! Great job - you might finish by this Sunday at this rate!
    - Mike

How bad can it be?
    Bobby

Quote Originally Posted by sapblatt
    Thanks for the invitaion -

MEB - You are really tearing up the winter list - amazing job. When you get a goal there is no stopping you! Great job - you might finish by this Sunday at this rate!
    I was only teasing. She never agreed to anything like that. I just hijacked her thread!

Nice Pictures! Good Luck finishing. You should easily do it. Then you can hike weird and obscure things with myself, Eric and Mike and only myself, Eric and Mike!!!!

-Dr. Wu
    To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.
    -Thomas Paine

nice photogs!!
    Fly too high, my son, and the heat will melt your wings. ~~
    Daedalus

i won't let you beat me meb

Way to go big sister!! Great pictures, love the black and whites.

I thought for a moment... oh goodness, it was so cold, she lost color!

Great report!

Nobleboro, Maine Avatar: Even my shadow hikes!
    Nice trip report, no wonder you're hard to run across on the trails, you do more than one in a day!

By the way, my name is also myself, so does that mean I can hike post-48 with you as well???
    Appearances are not everything, it just looks like they are.