Lonesome Lake Hut details

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

dvbl

Heading to Lonesome Lake Hut before the end of winter. I've checked
out the AMC website to get the basic info about rates, availability, etc.
Just looking for details from people who've been there, the kind of subtle
details that make you say, "I wish I had known that; I'll have to remember
that next time." Details specific to winter self-service amc huts.
i.e. cooking area access and clean-up; hanging food away from critters around the hut; things you brought but didn't need; things you forgot but did need; best/worst/noisiest bunkroom; etc.
Any shared lessons learned are appreciated.

The bunkrooms are unheated, bring a warm bag. And earplugs. :) The stove in the main room only brings the temp up so far, bring plenty of warm clothes for hanging around. Booties are key.

You sign up for cooking time with the caretaker. If you have a large group, do this early so you can plan when you'll all arrive. Critters aren't really a big deal, just put your stuff on the food shelves. There's no place to hang food.

-dave-

Some other info - there is a fridge for foods you do not want to freeze. You have full access to the stove/oven/cookware so you can bring just about any food you want to make. It's carry in - carry out - that means if you need baggies, foil, salt, etc... bring it - left over food and trash must be packed out. No lights in the bunkrooms so be sure you have head lamps.

Have fun!

if you forget some things like hot cocoa, coffee, snickers bars, etc, they do have them for a small cost ($1) at the hut.

I take the kids I work with here all the time.

The end bunk rooms on the "upper" level can fit up to 6 people so all the rest, ex. the furthest on the lower level (also 6) sleep 4.

LL, IMHO, has the most complete kitchen for self serve. everything you need and then some as far as cookware.

Peace.