Kinsmans - 2.22.6 - sled w/gear found

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MtnMagic

Reaction score
When I awoke this day something was just plain bugging me. My leg muscles were a little bit sore but it was my soul that was searching for something more. After thinking about it for a few minutes, I discovered what was needed. It was a good day hike. I decided the Kinsmans would sure comfort it. Temperatures were forecasted to be in the mid 30's.

Filling my water bottles and hydration pack, I grabbed a few energy bars, made a sandwich, added them to my winter pack and headed to Lafayette Campground. I usually take the Mt Kinsman Trail from Route 116, but wanted a change of scenery, so via Lonesome Lake Trail was the route this day. It was mid-morning when Ghostdog and I hit the trail, sunny with the temperature climbing quicky, and superb views of Franconia Ridge. Happiness!

Several hundred feet past the Hi-Cannon Trail I came upon a blue plastic sled filled with various backpacking gear and two sets of snowshoes tied to a root. I called out, looked down and around for the owners, but the sled was clearly abandoned with the early morning snowfall on it. How unusual to see this I thought as I donned my G-10's and continued on. Meeting the overnight guests a few at a time on the trail, I asked them if they knew anything about the sled. All replied it wasn't there when they ascended the day before.

At the hut I called out for Heidi and found her on the roof brushing the snow off the solar panels. I related my finding and she told me she would retrieve the sled and investigate. I said we'd be back around 4 o'clock, bid farewell, and hit the Fishin' Jimmy Trail. The ice formations everywhere were stunningly beautiful, the color of iron, a lot of new snow thick on the fir trees, some blowdowns off trail to view the interesting root masses, and the sounds of silence filled the warm, gentle air.

I stopped at North peak to gaze at the views for a while, then headed off to South Peak. The top of the cairn was scattered a bit but easy to restack in the spring. I thought of the Nobo's that were starting out on Springer Mountain and could be here as early as May. No fresh hiker's footprints this day on these high trails, but there were plenty of rabbit, vole, and mouse tracks. I had lunch on South Peak, basked in the views, the sun, and watched a crow soar by.

We retraced our steps to return to the hut and the real world. One last time I turned around to see where we've been. The heavens treated us to the finest crepuscular ray display I have ever witnessed. Spectacular! I met Heidi on the trail and she explained what she found out. Two guests that had reservations called Pinkham Notch Visiters Center and cancelled at the last minute. Why didn't they simply pull their sled with them when they turned around? A small puzzle. Nothing like a good mystery to intrigue the soul and a sensational day to enjoy the mountains!

More of the full story on the lost gear is found
on the A.M.C. site. A good read!

I can't read the AMC site now (work = big brother software).
Are you saying the gear was located and returned to the father and son team that lost it ?
I hope they both are feeling better, it sounded like they had quite a scare.

Last edited:
Great story Magic. Nice of Heidi to go and retrieve it. I think this winter I should have my crampons permanently welded to my boots! :rolleyes:

The hutmaster retrieved it. The father has to pick it up when he gets the chance. The AMC link is an amazing read and well worth it when you get the chance.

Wearing snowshoes on about a 35* iced slope probably won't get one to the top very easy. At least 6 pointers are preferred. I must say I saw a few thoughtless guests and visitors Wednesday going down a very icy trail.

WildPeaks and I were just up there on the 20th, and tried to see if you were over on Lafayette (I have a good camera). Crampons, while not absolutely necessary, were certainly helpful going up F-J, there were spots of nearly vertical ice. I"m glad mine were still sharp from the day before's ice climbing trip.

Wednesday was essential to wear crampons on the F-J Trail. Lots, lots, and lots of ice!

You couldn't see me on Lafayette 'cuz our group went up Liberty from the Basin lot and on to Flume and out Osseo. We became astounded when we saw a pastor and female hiker come out the Flume Slide Trail after struggling up for 5 hours w/12 point crampons on and admit they had no idea where to go and no map with them! We gave them directions and thought God must be the co-pilot. I'll share the details when I see you.