A bit of the SRK Greenway with Brent Scudder (3/4/06)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amicus

Reaction score
On Saturday morning I joined one of the SRK Greenway Coalition's regular winter hikes - an enjoyable two-miler starting at the Langeneau Woods Trail in Wilmot and finishing at the SRK Greenway/Webb Interactive Trailhead on the Northeast shore of Pleasant Lake in New London. We had decent views of Kearsarge and the Lake through the trees and the woods had enough snow to justify our snowshoes, which I hadn't been able to use previously this winter.

My nine companions were all experienced local hikers and, I believe, active members of the Coalition. They were all very cordial to this outsider (I'd driven up from Cambridge, MA) and their knowledgable comments enhanced my hike.

I decided to do this hike (after the GG-to-BW Nordic Adventure was cancelled) primarily for one reason - it's leader was Brent Scudder, whose White Mountain Viewing Guide, first published in 1995, is one of my very favorite hiking books.

I learned from Brent himself on Saturday that he brought out a 2d. Edition last Fall, published by High Top Press and available, I'm told, at The Mountain Wanderer in Lincoln. It is absolutely worth its $18.95 list price even for White Mt. hikers like me who have a copy of the 1st Ed. Brent has added over 100 pages, improved the format (descriptions and maps for each mountain are now together) and, most important, added 11 new summits, including three of my "easy hike/great view" favorites - Major and Potash in NH and Pleasant in Bridgton, ME.

The SRK Greenway, for any of you who don't know it, is a 75-mile loop through western Merrimack County that links the summits of Sunapee, Ragged and Kearsarge Mountains. The Coalition's website - www.srkg.com - has maps and lots of other useful info, including future hikes.

Mike