Great Gulf - early april

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

giggy

Reaction score
anyone want to head into the great gulf in early april?? - I have a few ideas ranging from an overnight at clam rock/bluff, etc. - to day trip heading out either via pinkham or appalacia. open to other ideas -

looking for a few good folks to come along for an adventure.

ok - just got a few PM's :D try to answer this as best as I can

still in bar bones planning stages here so totally open to suggestions. :D

to the best of my knowledge - the only "trail" that gets "technical" is the great gulf (on the headwall) itself - its rated as a grade1/2 snow/ice climb - easy as far as that stuff goes - but still harder than a hiking trail - so...

pretty sure the rest of the "trails" are just steep trails in winter (axe/crampon only) to the best of my knowledge and research.

madison gulf, 6 husbands, sphinx, wamsutta, buttress, etc.. :D

I am open to either of these options with equal interest. :D :p

TMax said:
Depending on which weekend you choose, I'm interested! :D Winter will be over and I'll be done with my current list obsession ;) .

thank god!! you know I'm kidding terri -

probably going to be weekend of easter. in fact, I just made the dec - thats when its going to be. I had a thought - of climbing the snow gully/chute in jefferson ravine - You know the one that the gulfside passes on the way to jeff - might be a dumb thought - but it might be fun - that gully looks pretty mellow and all snow - if ava is stable.

Last edited:
sounds great - I have done some research and have a "plan" - I see 2 options:

1) long day trip with a carspot at lowes or appalacia -

2) an overnight at bluff/clam/6 husbands junction, etc..