My first ADK winter weekend 3/4 + 3/5

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coldfeet

Reaction score
First a BIG thx to Rockysummit for driving 500 miles to take me on a tour of the ADK's, I can't thank him enough...

Sat 3/4....cloudy, all day flurries, nothing visible so why go up?...stay down low and check out Avalanche Lake, great call Rockysummit!....

my first trip to the lake and it was amazing, those of you who have seen it, remember the first time?.....on the way in I was amazed at the large icycles on the sides of the mtn, the trees destroyed from the hurricane, and then the view when you enter the lake area....truly amazing....

On the way walking in we were joined by hitmann, another vftt hiker, nice guy, good to meet him....many snowshoers and skiers coming in and out, small world out there, a hiker (Diane) recognized me and remembered my name from a catskill hike, (must have been my accent)..as we walked across the frozen lake the wind was blowing at our backs, on the way out we were lucky and the wind was again blowing at our backs....saw 2 ice climbers 1/2 way up something really high, wow...on the way out the sun was starting to break through the clouds, got to see the mtns on the way out driving, also saw someone's car stuck in a ditch, he must have been looking at the views and forgot to turn, he was alright..

On Sunday not a cloud in the sky, we went to the LOJ and hiked up MT Joe. Rocksummit and I didn't have to much time so this was a perfect hike. The views are great for a small amount of work. Lot's of people and dogs on the trail. On the way out we saw AJTIV at the lodge, good to see him. Also congrats to MR. D for finishing up his 46w, we hiked the day earlier with his son to the lake.

I was looking foward to bagging a peak and experiencing the ADK winter winds, but due to the zero visibility why bother. If i did that then I would have never seen Avalanche Lake...thx again Rockysummit...

oh yea..here are pics http://community.webshots.com/album/548351125iJsHPe

Nice TR and pics, Dave. Avalanche Lake/Pass is a truly extraordinary place. I've only been through there once, and I remember walking very slowly, just so happy to be there. Looks like you guys picked a good day to head in there.

I have yet to climb Mt. Jo-I'll have to do that some time on a "short" day while up there. The last time I was up at Heart Lake was in the fall when I was in the ADKs for a few days w/ Funky Freddy. The last day before we left, we were sitting around playing guitar for a while at the lake. There was a couple w/ their little daughter-I remember her telling us how she had climbed "Mountain Jo" the day before.

I can't wait to get back up there-I'm chompin' at the bit here...

Matt

Hi Dave,

Glad to see you came out to visit our "neck of the woods". Check out some of the trips I have planned and maybe we can get together to explore more of the ADKs. It is worth it......

Ed

Matt, like Tony the Tiger says, "It's GRRRRRRREAT"!

Also a really big thx to Walkwithblackflies for offering his advise...i can't offer much, except for subway directions :rolleyes:

Nice report and great pictures Dave. It was so great to meet up with you and Tony....Made my day! Did'nt realize it was your first time up here....WELCOLME!!! We have to do it again soon...! Tom

Congrats ! Very nice trip report and pictures.
It was that very same trip that got me hooked on winter backpacking about 30 years ago...and I'll be up there this weekend ! :)
It looks like you had the snow, I'm afraid it'll be slush and melting ice for us. :(
Anyway, congratulations again.

Dave... great choice for the hike. I keep that hike on the top 5 -- when I did it, the pass was still closed in (before slide) and I was on skis. I skied from under the tree canopy onto the iced lake and was engulfed by the large stone walls... truly awesome to experience!!! Coming out on skis even makes it better -- you float downhill nearly all the way! :D

Glad you got to get into the woods. There is way more to explore!!

Avalanche Lake is a beautiful place to visit. We took a group of kids from our local high school up there for President's weekend. They loved it. You probably saw people going up the trap dyke to Mt. Colden. It's a popular challenge, but it's not one I would want to take in winter!

Mt. Jo is a great mountain. By the way, it is on the Views and Brews list :) !

Hey Dave great pics and a great time. I don't care how many times I go through Avalanche Lake, summer, winter... what ever, it's still spectacular. Yeah we did see some tracks and a climber or two in the trap dyke, but those guys climbing up the ice on the Avalanche Mtn side was a first for me. Pretty awesome!

nice pics and report!
i have got to get to the adks!

thanks for sharing!
:cool: