Place to stay in Gorham, NH

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

dvbl

Looking for a place to stay this/next weekend in the Gorham area.
All I care about is cheap, clean, and quiet. Any suggestions?

p.s. "clean" for me just means not vermin-infested.

Define Quiet? IF snorer's keep you up or a TV in the other room or if you want to be asleep by 9:00, a room in the Comfort Inn may be good.

If logging trucks in the middle of the night wake you up, stay out of Gorham, Route 2 is a thru route, they go by all night.

If possibly meeting a couple of fellow hikers sounds like fun, moderate snoring does not bother you in another room, sharing a community kitchen & sleeping in a Bunk in Gorham for under $20, then Hiker's will be fine.

BTW, one of the Clouds (kitchens & adjoining bunkrooms) had the ceiling come down back in mid-February, don't know if it's been fixed yet.

dvbl requested 'clean'.....hiker's paradise gives me the heebie-jeebies in the cleanliness department....You do, however, get 10 points if you are able to get Bruno to crack a smile anytime during the length of your stay!!!! :D

...Jade

jade said:
dvbl requested 'clean'.....hiker's paradise gives me the heebie-jeebies in the cleanliness department....You do, however, get 10 points if you are able to get Bruno to crack a smile anytime during the length of your stay!!!! :D

...Jade

wrong. don't believe a word of this. and ol' bruno is a-ok!

Mike P. said:
Define Quiet? IF snorer's keep you up or a TV in the other room or if you want to be asleep by 9:00, a room in the Comfort Inn may be good.

If logging trucks in the middle of the night wake you up, stay out of Gorham, Route 2 is a thru route, they go by all night.

Quiet for me is anything that can't get past my earplugs. The "clean" definition is determined by the boss (wife).

Thanks to all for the quick feedback.

Tell the 'boss' to listen to me, not the guy who hikes in Somerville! :D :D

I like the Mount Madison, right across from Hiker's Paradise. Ask about the singing dogs.

Welch's went under, last I knew, so we ate breakfast at a place down that side road across the street from Welch's, across the street from the book store.

My wife has stayed at Hiker's Good marks for clean sheets, lower marks for the old pots & condition of the kitchen. Just talking about last night as I'm heading north again. I think she would prefer a private room.

(Roughing it for her BTW is Holiday Inn, AMC huts are too rustic, same with Pet Friendly Swiss Chalets in Glen or Intervale. She likes rental Condo's & the Marriott.)

While not right in Gorham, we've enjoyed staying at the Gateway Motel, just down the road on Route 2 in Shelburne. Always clean, not extravagant, not pricey.

dvbl: stay at Hiker's, but get the private room if you have the boss with you. Nice room for the price with a 1 person jacuzzi tub.
BTW, Bruno smiles... everytime you turn your back. He's a great guy, and his gruffness is part of the allure of the old place.

SherpaKroto said:
BTW, Bruno smiles... everytime you turn your back. He's a great guy, and his gruffness is part of the allure of the old place.

To each his own but, the allure for me is $15 and the thermos of coffee at breakfast. Hey S.K.....since you're obviously on the Board of Directors at the Paradise ;) , is the ceiling fixed?

Hiker's Paradise, or is it?

I just recently stayed at Hiker's Paradise, at the bunkhouse area, not an individual room, the experience might be entirely different there. It was nice and quiet, but (I hate to be picky) grimey. The kitchenette was extremely dirty and the floor was sticky. Parts of the floor were carpeted and, therefore, unsweepable and ground in with dirt. The matresses were also very thin, there were slats pressing against all parts of the body. There was a HUGE leak in the shower and the "No outdoor shoes allowed" rule is a bit ridiculous. The reason being that, if no effort is made to keep the place clean, why demand cleanliness from the guests? Don't get me wrong, it was liveable, but I'm sure a cleaner place could be found. The food was really good and Bruno was amiable, but the same can't be said for the lodgings.
GorpBurp

don't forget, hiker's paradise is also very close to the train tracks, so if the freight/lumber trains are running you will have that source of noise also (I can live with hearing trucks), which is why I haven't stayed there anymore (otherwise the place was ok. pretty decent breakfast!)

The shoe rule is to keep noise down as some guest stay out late. They live on the first floor so guest coming in at 2:00 after a few beers came be pretty noisy walking around.