Thread: poll topic okay?

poll topic okay?

Couple of questions...

I am curious if it is appropriate to post a poll, posted in Q &A, asking about VFTTer's experiences in the outdoors as a kid. I'm looking for trends that may, or may not, have caused them to now engage in outdoor advtivities. Aside from general outdoor experiences, I'm also interested in who did or didn't attend summer camp, and who has kids that now attend camp. I'm looking for a correlation between general summer expereinces, summer camp expereinces, and adult recreation habits.

I must admit, I work at a summer camp and this idea was spurred to some degree by some marketing thoughts being tossed around. Having recently read "Last child in the woods" I have become more aware of how my childhood outdoor expereinces have impacted my adult life, and am curious about others'. If it is okay to post the poll, I will keep it free of any camp names, advertising etc. I'm simply looking for a correlation of values, experiences and habits. There seems to be a large enough member base here to get some interesting results.

I certainly understand if this is not appropriate, that's why I am asking first.

Second question, if the above is okay, how do I make a poll? I have no idea!

Thanks,
    Lindsay

H: Brighton, MA, Avatar :Brian and I at the 2005 Ski Gathering
    I don't know if this will be okay with the powers that be BUT if it is okay, you'd want to post it under general backcountry and not Q&A, since it isn't Northeast specific.

sli74
    LIFE, I shall persevere! Everytime you knock me down, I will get up stronger.

I would check first with one of the moderators on the topic and intended use.

Instructions for creating polls can be found by selecting:
    1. FAQ
    2. Reading and Posting Messages
    3. How do I create and vote in polls?

Regards, Marty
    So when you reach the bottom line
    The only thing to do is climb
    Pick yourself up off the floor
    Anything ya want is yours

Song: Bottom Line
    Artist: Big Audio Dynamite
    Album: This is Big Audio Dynamite
    Year: 1985

Bloomville, New York Avatar: Dress for success!
    When you are creating a new thread, there is a poll option at the bottom of the screen.
    Tom Rankin
    Volunteer Balsam Lake Mountain
    Past President Catskill 3500 Club
    CEO

Thumbs up Post Away!

Just post. It seems like a decent, intellectual topic that relates to the back country. If they don't like it they'll close or delete the thread. Can't hurt to post.

Making a poll is easy. Set it up though so you can see who voted for what! I'm interested in this study.

-Dr. Wu
    To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.
    -Thomas Paine

H: Brighton, MA, Avatar :Brian and I at the 2005 Ski Gathering
    Quote Originally Posted by dr_wu002
    Set it up though so you can see who voted for what! I'm interested in this study.

-Dr. Wu
    I second this request.

sli74
    LIFE, I shall persevere! Everytime you knock me down, I will get up stronger.

Quote Originally Posted by sli74
    I second this request.

sli74
    Cool, I'm glad you guys seem interested, probably put it up tomorrow morning.

This is like research, how fun!

Sounds ok, but as Seema said, put it in the general backcountry fourm since it is not specific to the Northeast. The Q&A newsgroup is only for Northeast specific topics.

- darren

Quote Originally Posted by dr_wu002
    If they don't like it they'll close or delete the thread. Can't hurt to post.
    This is NOT the right attitude. If you have any questions, ask a moderator before posting. We do not like cleaning up, closing, or deleting threads. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

But I think the poll in question sounds like a fine thread.

-dave-

Quote Originally Posted by David Metsky

-dave-
    Wooohoooo! Moderator (and Darren) approval!

Quote Originally Posted by David Metsky
    This is NOT the right attitude. If you have any questions, ask a moderator before posting. We do not like cleaning up, closing, or deleting threads. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

-dave-
    If everytime someone was going to post a thread they PM'd you and asked if it was ok you'd have a lot of work on your hands... The rules of this site imply that people are capable of making a decision whether a thread is off topic or on topic and hopefully they follow that. I wasn't suggesting what I did in a subversive fashion but rather I meant that in general, we all post things and sometimes, one of you guys (moderators) thinks it's off topic or repetitive and closes the thread. I hardly think this is a massive, horrible project on your part. I think it's up to the poster though to consider to themselves, is this off topic or not rather than inundating you with requests of "Dave, is this on or off topic" which I assume you'd get tired of after a while.

I didn't mean my post in an arrogant or a subversive way and I wasn't doing it to make more work for the moderators and more to tell Lindsay, go for it (in the context of her intelligent thread idea and not the general "can I post about Moose Antlers or is the cog bad" fashion).

-Dr. Wu
    Last edited by dr_wu002; 03-09-2006 at 02:52 PM.
    To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.
    -Thomas Paine

I repeat, if you have questions about whether something is appropriate for this site, or for a particular forum, ask a moderator. We absolutely prefer answering questions rather than deleting threads.

-dave-