Question about Base Rd. and Mt. Clinton Rd.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

^MtnMike^

Reaction score
Two questions really...
1.) Is the Base Rd plowed now?
And if so:
2.) Are there any issues with hiking the stretch of Mt. Clinton Rd from where it crosses the Base Rd. to the Edmands Path trailhead?

Thanks!
^MtnMike^

^MtnMike^ said:
Two questions really...
1.) Is the Base Rd plowed now?
And if so:
2.) Are there any issues with hiking the stretch of Mt. Clinton Rd from where it crosses the Base Rd. to the Edmands Path trailhead?

Thanks!
^MtnMike^

by Base Road - if you mean the road to the Cog - yes it is plowed.

Hiking Clinton road is not an issue, just keep to the side and out of the way of the snowmobilers as this is there trail.

FYI - The building at the Cog does not open until 9 AM so if you want snacks or to use the bathrooms plan accordingly.

RR Grade

There is an old Rail Road Grade that is shown on this map that connects the base road to Mt. Clinton Road. Never been on it myself but I hear it's still there. Probably used as a ski trail.

-Dr. Wu

dr_wu002 said:
There is an old Rail Road Grade that is shown on this map that connects the base road to Mt. Clinton Road. Never been on it myself but I hear it's still there. Probably used as a ski trail.
Been a while since I have skied at Bretton Woods, but IIRC there is an XC trail located within the Rt 302-Base Rd-Mt Clinton Rd triangle which follows an old railbed. Might be the same railbed.

Doug

The part of the trail west of Mt. clinton Rd. connect to the B&M Trail in the Bretton Woods system. It s the last leg of the Great Glen to Bretton Woods 50k. I have never looked to see if the old railroad grade continues on the other side of the road.

MtnMike, as others have said, hiking Mt. Clinton Rd. should be fine just watch out for snowmobiles. Enjoy the Edmands Path, it's a great hike.

Hi I just hiked Edmands path yesterday 3-10,06. I hiked Mt Clinton Rd but noticed that people had accessed the road just about opposite the trail head parking. I was pretty tempted to see were it started from for future reference.
I was able to bare boot the trail itself to the very upper sections where I had to swap over to snowshoes...a lot of side hill stuff on the upper parts.