Misery Mt- Taconic Crest Rensselaer County?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobcat

Reaction score
Does anyone have a location for a trail head to access Misery Mt on the Taconic Crest in Renselaer County? I'm looking for a trail head from either the NY or MA side. I've heard of the place but can't seem to find any info on how to find it.

Misery Mt t/h options

Misery Mt can be accessed from Robinson Hollow and Mattison Hollow, on the west side of TCT, and Bentley Hollow (off rte 43) from the east .

From Cherry Plain on rte 22 take Mattison Hollow to the t/h where parking is possibly a problem. I have not been there but the trailguide states that the Mattison Rd is a narrow,dead end and the road cannot be obstructed. I have used the Madden Road t/h and the Petersburgh Pass t/h, but neither of these are the closest ones.

I can give you directions to the other trailheads and additional distance/elevation info if you like. Or see Natural Areas of Rensselaer Cty, 2nd edition. There are also map sets of the TCT sold at bookstore in Albany if that is nearby for you?

I am curious as to why you are drawn to Misery Mt. As I recall there were no lookouts and it's summit was not easy to discern from any other high points along that section of trail.

Inge

It is on the Stephentown Center NY Quad.
The mountain is on the Taconic Crest and a trail description is in my very old AMC Massachusetts Trail Guide (1989)
From Petersburgh Pass ( NY rte 2 ) Large Parking area there. Going south on the crest trail the distances are as follows.

2.7 miles Berlin Mt
5.2 Southeast Hollow
8.2 Bentley Hollow
10.1 Main Peak Misery Mt.
12.1 Trail jct with Rathburn Hollow Trail.

The Rathburn Hollow Trail leads 0.8 miles to the crest trail from Rathburn Hollow Road.The directions in this old guide say follow MA rte 43 1.25 miles north of Brodie Mt Rd ( The turn off to Jiminy Peak ski area ) About 100 yards south of a grade school on the opposite side of MA 43 is Rathburn Hollow Road. Turn left ( west ) on Rathburn Hollow Road and continue 1.5 miles to the parking area, located just before the road turns sharply left to cross a brook.

The trail description is close to useless it only says it climbs 0.8 miles no mention of gain or any detail. It would seem this trail will get you to the crest 2.0 south of the peak.

Here is a link to the topozone map that shows the road and you can faintly see the trail at the end of the road. It looks like the road gains a lot for you. The school is marked on the map,
http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?z=18&n=4716035&e=639194&s=50&size=l&datum=nad83&layer=DRG25

A few clicks north on the map and you can see the crest trail leading to Misery. Hope this helps

Mattison Hollow

There is space for a car or two right at the trailhead, where there is a sign for the TCT. The stream crosses the road there and you can park on the other side of the bridge. It's less than an hour up to the ridge (Bentley Hollow comes up from the Mass. side there), and then south to Misery. I've hiked up from Mattison Hollow a number of times. But as Inge said - there's no discernible summit or outlook.

Rathburn Hollow t/h is CLOSED

As you say your guide book is old and the newer guides state that Rathburn Hollow is closed due to development.

Bev! I was thinking that you had used the Mattison t/h and would have the critical details! :)

First, thanks for the feedback. I was inquiring about Misery because I heard there were some views. It sounds like there aren't. I've hiked the TCT trail sections from Hoosick/Pownal at the North end to Berlin Mt to the south and was looking for a new access point to see what else the trail had to offer. I'm not much of a peakbagger, I just like to go out and climb hills and find lookouts.

Does anybody have a personal favorite recomendation for an interesting section between Rt 43 and Berlin Mt?

Mattison hollow and north

I do like the section up Mattison Hollow and north towards Berlin Mt. My four-legged hiking buddies Henry and Tucker love it. There's a stream 3/4 of the way up to the crest that they love to splash in and the walking along the ridge north, past Southeast Hollow is very pleasant. You can also access the trail from there. There are some views along the ridge until leaf out and the spring flowers - trout lily and spring beauties - blanket the hike.

I much prefer the hiking from Mattison Hollow or Southeast Hollow to Berlin Mt. rather than from Petersburgh Pass to Berlin.

Round Mt is sweeeet!

I love the views and the clearing at the top of Round Mt - easily accessed from Madden Road t/h.
The views from Mt Ramier , just above the TCT at the Petersburgh Pass, are cool. Or maybe it is just that I like highpoints.
The hike up from Greenhollow Road/Canfield Rd is cool being that it has slabby, shale outcrops.
The southern section - from rte 20 to PotterHill Rd - is a nice woods walk w/ a few ponds and high points, and less ATV erosion.
You may still wish to explore Misery Mt. I hope I didn't discourage you. I typically stay on the trail and don't wander far unless I'm bushwhacking to a destination.
I'm thinking that the Hopkins State Forest would be a cool place to explore too!! It's on one of my lists......... :)

As I said it is an old guide book. I don't know that area very well though I have done bits and pieces of the TCT. What I have seen is nice though. Glad to have been able to supply at least some info even if it's use may be doubtful.