Modifying gear

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I routinely attach spare, opposite, velcro strips onto the existing velcro flaps of garments to "inactivate" them so they dont keep getting closed on their own. Most common are the jacket pit zip flaps and the top part of the pants side zip flaps. This makes it easier to open and close these zips for ventilation. It's really easy and always lets me go back to the original design if desired.

you DIY folks probably already know this but make sure you go to ragged mountain in intervale. downstairs they have all the high-tech fabics and accoutrement to whip up your own gear.

and meb--the ones officially called "stabilicers" are lame. get some yaktrax or whatever they're called. they work great on anything short of steep ice, where you really need proper crampons.

:) :)

Pete_Hickey said:
I gave up storing it down my pants, and running the hose out the fly. The weird looks I got were ever too weird for ME to handle.
You wouldn't happen to have a picture of that would you? Or maybe even one where someone else is taking a drink from it?

Last edited:
MEB said:
I've recently been hiking with a few who have modified their boots with screws on the the bottom and I'm considering doing this to my pair. As much as I like my stabilicers they tend to fall off my platics and I'm not a big fan of cramponing. The screws seem to be effective and you don't have to stop and put them on or adjust them. Anyone else here have experience with this modification??

-MEB

I've thought about doing this exact thing with my old hiking boots. I figure once the tread is worn down they could be used for winter. My boots seemed to have shrunk a little so I never tried it, but I don't see why it wouldn't work, i know lots of people that build their own studded mountain bike tires.

Stabilicers, or at least "Icers" up here in Canada sell a replacement kit, i don't see why the replacement kit screws couldn't be used on an old pair of boots, they would definitely never slip off.

Good luck,
Shayne

cbcbd said:
I like the whistlelock, thanks for the link. I first saw it on a friend's backpack (Wild Things Andinista) and thought he modified it, but later found out that it was stock :D

MEC also puts the whistle on most of their packs now or you can buy it separately in the strap section pete was talking about.

It isn't as good as my Fox 40 but it's built in so i never forget it.

-Shayne

I got tired of trying to stuff the extra strap from my crampons into my gaiters or wrapping them around the toe section of my crampons, which always seem to loosen up, so I sewed a spare buckle to the short strap facing the same way as the rings. Now, I just tighten my crampons as normal and loop the extra strap through the toe ring and then attach it to the buckle. Problem solved.

A few notes about traction aids

bruno suggests using Yaktrax®. I've had a fair amount of experience with them. They're fine for walking on a slippery sidewalk and also very good for hard-packed snow. However, they tend to slip up over your toe when you're climbing and have to be readjusted a lot. They're also not too tough. The rubber thongs which hold them together tend to get slashed and break in conditions where your foot may scrape or slip against a rock. Mine are now lashed together with a lot of coat hanger wire.

Get-a-Grips® are more like a slip-on shoe rubber. They have carbide points (6 each foot) for traction on ice. They work well on hard ice; they're less effective on hard-pack but they help.

I've never used Stabilicers®. They are much like Get-a-Grips but use screws for ice traction.

Yaktrax cost about $20, I got my Get-Grips for less than $5 at a large, unnamed retail store and Stabilicers are about $40. I personally think Stabilicers are overpriced.

All of these can slip off your feet. Solution: Run the instep strap of your gaitor underneath. They will still slip off, but you won't lose them.

teejay

Based on Timmus' drawing of you Pete, you look like "Popa" on "La Petite Vie". What a riot. Nothing like interweaving insane funniness in an otherwise sober and learned thread.

Pete_Hickey said:
In order to keep it from freezing, I sewed a 'pocket' that I wear around my neck so that I can hold it insode my coat. I gave up storing it down my pants, and running the hose out the fly.

Dammit Pete, now I have to clean up the keyboard from spitting soda all over it.

You seem to have a habit of doing this to people, as I just read the same thing on another thread.

I guess I'm gonna have to watch what I eat while on the computer.

Anyone know of a good way to get raspberry soda off a keyboard easily? The "R" key keeps sticking...

Julie, Pete & Neil,

You guys are a great source of amusment. Thanks for perking up an otherwise routine day. :)

packs never seem to have enough places to attach gear (crampons, sleeping pads, pockets, etc.). i've added plastic lashing tabs to my packs. also webbing to make daisy chains. you can really get some good deals on basic packs and add the modifications you want. for about five dollars of materials, you can add about $100 dollars of upgrades. i love my black diamond bullet pack (16liters, $39). nice, small, stealth daypack. add a few mods here and there and you double your carrying capacity.

Where do I start...necessity is the mother of invention.

I made a suspension for an extra large backpack I got off the dump. I made it out of a piece of 1/4" thick HDPE (high density polyethylene) and cut 115 holes in it (it was 32" tall) to save on weight but not compromise the ridigity. Works great.

I added a stabilizing brim to my OR boonie hat I use for the summer rains. It would flop down constantly, so I removed some of the stitches and added a piece of 1/8" plastic rod bent around inside the brim and then plastic welded it to itself with a soldiering iron. Re-stitching was easy.

I made my crampon pouch out of a fabric cassette tape holder. I plastic welded (with the soldiering iron, I've gotten quite good at using it) a piece of thick plastic (about the thickness of a milk jug) that was an advertisement into a box and attached it to the inside to prevent the crampons from punching through. I added a daisy chain to the outside with aluminum post and screw fasteners and it works great, I use it all the time.

I've added daisy chains to packs with a soldiering iron, the aluminum post and screw fasteners (10 weigh 0.3 ounces), and 3/4" nylon webbing. Melt holes in the pack with a soldiering iron so they don't fray or tear.

On my MSR Bug Hut 1, I added a foot frame to keep the netting off the whole sleeping bag instead of just the head portion. I used a piece of 1/4" black plastic tubing connected at the center with a piece from a pegboard garage tool hook, so it's the same length as the main frame pieces. I attach it with a small metal paper clamp at the top and bottoms. The top also serves as a place to guy it out or hang it directly from the back of a lean-to, where I use a screw style cup hook I bring with me just for that purpose. The bottoms act as a place to put tent stakes if I'm in the open.

I made a spork tine protector from a piece of 3/8" plastic tubing I cut lenthways and then plastic welded into a "V". It prevents the tines from ripping anything in my pack.

I've added velcro to places where the zippers have blown out on packs. This way I can still use the pouch/pocket. Everything is sewn with 20 lb test braided kevlar fishing twine.

I added a set of military anyboot bindings to a set of kids 110 cm X-C skis for use on the backcountry trails. The whole setup cost me $18 and seems to work great although I don't have a ton of time on them other than the testing phase, which they passed with flying colors, but they are a tad slow compared to the larger skis.

I made my own stove base, like the MSR trillium, for my Dragon. I made mine from 3 lightweight aluminum metal sheets, affixed them in the center so they fold out into 3 sections, and drilled holes in them to 1) lessen the weight, 2) act as a hand collander for pasta, and 3) use as a cribbage board (I drilled the right number of holes in it). Works awesome and I use it all the time.

I made my own hiking umbrella that attached to the upper frame on my external pack, but it was too tall and kept getting snagged on branches on the AT, so I bought the Boonie hat.

I replaced the broken cinch buckle on the top of my OR Croc gaiters with 2 keyring split rings. To use them I just weave the other end of the strap through like a motorcycle helmet strap.

On my pot lid I drilled a hole and used two of the keyring split rings, one on top and one on bottom of the lid, joined together, which enables me to use my pot lid as a mouse protector when hanging my food bag. I can still lift it with the key rings and it also still folds flat.

I use small plastic containers from work that usually have chemicals in them for other uses. My carmex is in a 1/2" tubing plug with a screw on cap from another container on the top (they were exactly the right size), and my Cat-Crap is in a 5 ml plastic mini container with a screw cap. Each weighs 0.2 ounces and is more than enough for a week.

I use a rainfly from a Lightstuff 2 tent (24 ounces, got it off the dump) as a tarp, use my hiking poles as prop rods, and the 50' of paracord I carry as guy lines.

I'm in the process of making my own Wet Rib (like the Dana Design) for summer hiking. I still have some balance issues to engineer through, but it'll be fine. It'll also attach onto the waist belt, unlike the Dana, so there won't be a 3rd strap across my front.

I'm also making a pulk harness from an upper suspension yoke/harness from a backpack and a fanny pack. It'll pull from the center rear but all I have to do is put it together and then make a pulk.

I'm sure there is more, but I just can't think of it right now as I'm trying to pack for the weekend in the Whites.

Before anyone asks about the skis, 110 cm on the left, 208 cm in the middle, and 240 cm on the right.

picture.JPG

Last edited:
Neil said:
Based on Timmus' drawing of you Pete, you look like "Popa" on "La Petite Vie".
As I mentioned in the wrong thread. It isn'T just the drawing. I've been told in real life that I look like Popa. Probably even by one of my kids!

for the non québecois(e)... This is about the best picture I can google up:

http://www.angelfire.com/pa2/disk/popa.html

Internal Gaitors in Ski Pants

I personally can't be bothered with gaitors. I don't like the most 'technical' shell pants because they don't have an internal gaitor. Ski pants have an internal gaitor with gripper elastic. That gaitor will fit securely around a ski boot but it can't be relied on to seal the snow out of a hiking boot. So I use ski pants with the internal gaitor and put two grommets, one on each side, in each band on the internal gaitor and run a small thin bungie down around the boot to secure them like a regular gaitor. $2 solution is so much easier than a full blown gaitor.

For all the improvisers out there, get a grommet kit, and some small bungies, the possibilities are endless...

another one

After wearing out a pair of Sorel liners I re-enforced the heel by sewing a nylon patch over the wear point. This too wore our so I switched to smooth plastic. I used some PVDF (polyvynidenefloride, I think) that I had lying around but any smooth plastic like some PE cut from a milk bottle should work. It's great. Extends the life of the liners by and easy 10x. Of course sewn with dental floss.