Please suggest a NH 4k I can complete before 1:26PM.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkL

Reaction score
Canton, NY. Avatar: Mt. Washington in Winter:
I'd like to add some more NH 4k's to my winter collection Sunday and Monday, 3/19 & 20.
In case I ever decide to go for the Winter NE115, I'd like them to count as being done in "Winter". [Currently 60/115]
The vernal equinox is at 1:26PM on Monday, 3/20. So according to AMC rules, I would have to complete that hike by 1:26PM.
I'm not that familiar with the Whites, so please tell me the short ones. I've already done Tecumseh and Osceola, but not East O. I wouldn't want to do only one peak if it is usually done with others. I might be slightly slower than book.
Thank you.
Is anyone looking for a partner for either of these days? On Sunday, I'd be pretty open to whatever you're planning, since I've done only 7 Whites in winter.

Liberty
Waumbek
Wildcat via the Polecat Ski trail
East Osceola
Pierce
Jackson

These are just a few that come to mind but I am sure there are some I am forgetting. Some of these are usually done with others but if you are slower than book time, you can still get these with an early start.

sli74

If you're not committed to the Whites, you can peakpag all day Monday AND *TUESDAY* in the ADKs (or the Catskills)! :D

Although given your numbers, I suspect you may have btdt already... :D

Cannon would be my first choice, based on your criteria. You might even be able to bag both Osceolas, or at the very least East Osceola. Good luck! :D

btdt

You're right. I live pretty close to the 'dacks, so I did them first. Then I ventured farther (VT) and farther still (Cats). Now it's getting to be a long haul.

Tom Rankin said:
If you're not committed to the Whites, you can peakpag all day Monday AND *TUESDAY* in the ADKs (or the Catskills)! :D

Although given your numbers, I suspect you may have btdt already... :D

Mark -

Any chance we met on the top of Mansfield a few years ago (Brutus was with me)?

Kevin

MarkL said:
Yes! When I looked at your avatar I didn't remember your name or face, but Brutus looked very familiar.
Yup, I hear that alot! Second time today, actually. I must make quite an impression on people ...
:)

Maine Peaks Sat or Mon?

Mark,

Sooner or later, you'll need to bag the peaks in Maine;

Old Speck, at less than 8 miles round trip, is very doable for Monday.

Saturday is wide open- I need 11 four-thousand footers in Maine (all of Maine's 4k'ers except the 3 in Baxter). If we started/finished at the ski area, The Horn/Saddleback is less than 8 miles.

I don't hike on Sundays.

Let me know!

-Matt

my pick would be jackson.
waumbek's a haul to get up there, so that's not the best choice if you wanna be sure of being "official."
both cannon and jackson are very accessible and pretty easy. in comparing the dominant speed/peakbagger routes, it is my opinion that jackson via webster/jackson seems a bit easier than cannon via kinsman from the NE. but then again, cannon is a shorter hike via the route mentioned, and some might consider it more interesting. i thought i had a solid opinion, but it turns out that it's melted away. in any case, i'd suggest jackson or cannon, unless you're planning on sleeping up in jefferson or better yet the great north woods. ;)

My first winter hike was Pierce thru 20-30 inches of new snow...we started quite late (10:30), took our time to the top (2 hr 45 min at 3.2miles or so) and made it to the bottom by 2:45. Except for the gusty winds up top, it was the easiest 4K I've ever done.

I've never done Jackson, but it's even shorter than Pierce so I would imagine that one is a fine choice too, and many VFTT'ers seem to be backing that up.

grouseking

I second Mt. Pierce. I did it in January in about 5 hours round trip. That included frequent breaks and a book time (or slower) pace. The trail was in great shape back in January. I'm not sure how it is today, so check the trail conditions.

Jackson was my first winter 4k back in January. It was real short and fairly easy (for a 4k footer). If I remember correctly it only took my 3.5 hours round trip with at least a 20 minute stop at the top. If you start by 9 you should have PLENTY of time.

Considering the great Presidential views and moderate snowshoe grades, I'd go with Jackson. If it's a sunny day you won't be disappointed.

Pierce took me three and a half hours this past Sunday. Crawford Path is packed smooth and fast. Stabilicers were the only traction aid I bothered with, and I could have done it without them, except maybe for the last tenth of a mile up Pierce.

Monroe took us under 5 hours on Saturday. The Ammo is also in good shape. Crampons highly recommended above Gem Pool. If you start from the upper Cog parking lot, it's no more than 6 and a half miles.

Last edited:
Hale is short too. The road is bare now so you can walk to the trailhead in less than an hour, then it's only 5 easy miles round trip and a quick walk back out the road.

Mark said he was a slower than average hiker. Some of the hikes being mentioned require a faster than average speed to get up and down before 1:30PM

Thanks for the suggestions and discussion. At the moment I'm favoring Cannon over Jackson. Jackson looks so doable, that I might try to tack it on to a Pierce-Eisenhower climb. I might try that on Sunday. I wouldn't want to climb Pierce as a single peak. Or I might try P, E, and Monroe on Sunday (how does that sound to those familiar with the route? Topo! says it's 12.5 miles and +4,780' r/t. My eyes are somtimes bigger than my legs.) If I do P, E, & M Sunday, maybe I will do Jackson Monday. If all goes well and I'm on Eisenhower with plenty of time, leg, and good weather, I'll decide there whether to go for Monroe or turn back and go for Jackson. Would anyone suggest climbing Monroe from Base Station for the sake of great views or other factors? If so, I could just decide now to do P. E, and J on Sunday, and Cannon on Mon. There's no need here to sacrifice grandeur for efficiency. :) Speaking of which, it looks like the High Cannon trail is the more scenic of the two ways up Cannon. Is that so?

LenDawg, I'd like to minimize driving around, so I won't do Waumbek until I'm up north doing something else in that area.

Umsaskis, at ~9 miles r/t, Hale might be pushing it for me.

Bob K., was 5 hours more or less than "book"? Monroe from the Cog may be an option for Monday.

1x83, I haven't looked at any Maine maps or trail descriptions yet, and don't have time before 3/20. Maybe next year.

Thanks for your suggestions and answers to my questions.
Mark

If I were comming from New York, I'd hit up something in the franconia notch area, as it is closest.
Cannon would turn me off, due to the ski-area activity.
I would choose Moosilauke...Or, one of my favorites, a flume slide/liberty loop.
All peaks have Awesome views.
Then there's Lincoln & Laffayett, If the weather is fine... :)