Tecumseh, Friday March 17th

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lawn Sale

Reaction score
Nobleboro, Maine Avatar: Even my shadow hikes!
It started off being a sucky day, the kind where almost nothing goes your way. I did manage to finally get the refinancing on my house done, so that was the one positive thing I managed to accomplish. I was originally going to climb the Osceola's, but after driving by the trailhead twice before my brain kicked in, I decided the type of day I was having coupled with the late hour would not be prudent to start them. Since I was in the area, I decided to bag Tecumseh, which was right across the road.

I finally got on the trail around 3PM, and immediately ran into a lady who lurks here on Views. I think I convinced her to start posting, but she was unsure if she wanted to go my MaFox or MommaMoose, so if you see her on here, say "hi", she's very nice.

We parted company after a few minutes, and the trail wound hither and yaw,not gaining a lot of elevation. I put on my crampons early and at the base was dodging rocks with ice between. At about 2,500' elevation there is a lookout onto a ski trail, but the trail was closed due to lack of snow. I immediately wish I'd brought my trail skis, so I could ski back down the closest open slope, but wasn't about to go back and get them. From here to about 3,600' the trail is just a steady grind, same grade the whole way, and all ice with just a dusting of snow on top. I crested the grade and came out on top, where I had to put on my shell due to the winds, which were about 35 mph.

I reached the top at 4:30 and ate some lunch, took some pictures, and decided to head back down about 10 minutes later. On the way back down I could hear the snow cats moving snow around and was glad I didn't bring the skis as I wouldn't have been able to ski down anyway, at least not without someone saying something. I reached the car again at about 5:45 PM and was finally feeling much better, like things were starting to go my way. Bobandgeri called to say they were an hour out of camp, where I would be staying for the weekend, so I headed straight there rather than spelunking around the area looking for bargains.

This is a nice hike to do if you're pressed for time, 2.5 hours in and out with no major issues. Stabilicers would have helped on the lower section, but overall I think crampons would work the best. No need for snowshoes or skis. The snow on the top, while deep, is heavily crusted so there is no post-holing.

Most hikers that have posted about Tecumseh have said that this is one of the worst of the 4k's. I happened to do this last October after 3' of snow hit the summit. Didn't know then but it was probably one of the biggest storms of the year. Sure it was a slow slog without lots of long range views, but compared to sitting at my desk at work, it was heaven. I brought my skis and skied down the Waterville slopes only to be greated with strange looks from employees leaving the base lodge. I just smiled and walked on. I kept on smiling all the way home.

I just wish that I could have as many bad hikes as most of you get in each year.
And then I read that Tim Seaver did all 48 in less that 10 days. I'll be lucky if I finish in 48 years!! I'm at 31 and counting, but not really counting.

I'm just hoping that I can run up North Pack this weekend.

Hope you got a good rate on the refinace Lawn Sale!!!!!!