Winter pack weight??

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

teejay

Reaction score
The Beautiful Finger Lakes; Avatar: 4 Hrs. up, 4
I'm packing for a two night overnight with Tom Rankin at the Peggy O'Brien cabin in the ADK's. What is the considered opinion of the sages on this board regarding a target pack weight with all the requirements including food, clothing, sleeping bag, etc.? I don't need to know what equipment is required as I think I'm okay in this regard. I'm just wondering what you think is reasonable.

I figure my clothing is the heaviest single contributor, other than my pack, followed by food and cooking stuff (no stove) then all the other stuff like snowshoes, crampons, etc., etc. Actually when I started packing, I realized early on that the cast iron Dutch oven would have to stay home this time. I've managed to keep the total weight to just about 40 lbs., but that's if I only bring a six-pack (aluminum cans, of course). Does this sound reasonable?

While I could probably save another five lbs. by trekking over to EMS to invest in all the latest and greatest lightweight gear, especially a lighter pack, right now that's not in the cards.

teejay

For winter it's more than reasonable. My day pack weighs about 30 pounds, but I also have a sleeping bag, stove, and a day's food with me, in addition to everything else for cold weather clothing, just in case. Add another 3 pounds for clothing and 2 for food and it'd be about the same weight.

Teejay, the times I have BP'd into JBL during winter, I have been luxurious in my style, but still could never manage to keep pack weights under 40 lbs.
While the nice thing is that you don't need a winter bag, stove, fuel nor a tent, liquid refreshment easily makes up the weight. :D

Hope you guys have a wonderful trip. I am packing for Seattle next week, or else I would be there.