Jefferson/Washington 3/18

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

giggy

Reaction score
bit long winded - have some time to kill while baby sleeps!

Well plans change and that can actually be for the better under the right circumstances. My original plan was for sleeping bear (lindsay) and myself (guy) to head up the castle trail to hit jefferson - which in winter has been my nemesis since about 2000. I have done it in winter condtions before - but I was about 0 for 7 (some where bewtween 6 and 8, don't know for sure!) from calendar winter attmepts. :eek:

I was in contact with MEB and KMAC thru the week and if they weren't able to summit jefferson on friday, they were going to join us.

I spoke with them late friday and like I have many times, they were turned back (with Damon) right above the edmunds col due to low visibilty and high winds and cold temps. It souded to me like a typical northern pressie bad weather winter epic with losing trail, etc.. it happens :(

So, they weren't too keen on the castle, so we decided on the caps ridge. I got the weather report and summits were about 0 for highs and winds 20-50mph - pretty average winter winds.

Lindsay and I met karen and Marsha at lyons and we drove over to the cog to meet up with some others folks that MEb had cooridinated with -unfrozencaveman,abster,& DRitter, so I packed up my ice axe and we head off to the caps ridge, - we get on the trail

and I find out the plan is the jewell - Lindsay and I decided to head up the jewell with thew crew - even tho I had said many times that I always wanted my #1 jeff winter ascent to be from the north via castles, or Edmunds. I was out for fun this day and nothing more, so it turned out to be a great day with fun people - with many many laughs on the trail that I can't document here due to the bathroom humor!!!

So we headed up and the nice thing about jewell is its quick to treeline and IMO - very easy footing when packed out. (tho we did don spikes right out of the lot - it was icey.

We soon hit treeline and the gulfside, and wind was pretty much nothing, but visablity wasn't great either. So we all made our way over to sphinx col taking some brief rests every now and then. The winds were starting to pick up a bit, but still not too bad, it was cold though, and we really needed to keep it moving to stay warm. So we went up monticello lawn and visabilty was still not great, though every now and then we would get teased and things would get bright for short periods etc..

We all then made our way up the last push to the summit and re-grouped up there. Finally, I got this damn summit! We summited about 12:30 or so. This was # 47 for both MEB and DRITTER. Rested for a few minutes, got some water, ate some food and as usual, MEB whips out her bag a goodies and we all had some hot coccoa. NICE and thanks!

We all made out way down back to the jewell/gulfside junction and around there we stopped and I was going to change my gloves as my hands were getting rather cold and needed to out my bigger ones on. so KMAC gave me her half used hand warmers and man - did those feel good! thanks KMAC - I did buy her a beer for that after. Damon (Dritter) still needed washington for his 48 so lindsay and I went up washington with him., while the rest went down jewell.

It was also her first winter summit for george and while I was going for number 13 washington winter summit - I had never taken the gulfside up - so that would be a first for me as well. Visability got pretty bad and we got a bit sidetracked a couple of times high on the gulfisde, but a quick look at the map and all was fine and we made it to the gulfside/great gulf junction and followed it up to the trinity hieghts connector - now in most weather, you can see the summit building pretty easily here - or at least something, all we saw was a wall of white after on that for a few minutes (its only .2 miles long), I knew we were close and then a faint image of the tower not more than 50 feet popped out and you really had to look to see it - so we tagged the summit - congrats to damon and lindsay for their first winter summit (and damons # 48 4ker) and we decided it was time to start getting down as it was about 2:45 or so and the wind wasn't too bad - maybe 20-25, coming down the crawford path, but it was so cold, it was IMO dangerous windchill, in fact we did have a couple of frostbite scares with white skin that when re-warmed, turned out ok - but white skin is never good :eek:

Crawford path was very icey and we needed to make sure crampons were biting on the bulletproof ice on the snowfield (now mostly icefields) - you really don't want to fall on this section as self arest would have been very tough:eek:

- made our way by the hut - the snowcave is still there and down the ammo (lots of ice) to the cog

I had a blast on this hike - really enjoyed it - nice to see people get their #1 washington winter summit and to add that to someones winter 48 - I thought that was a treat. Plus - I finally got the damn jefferson winter summit. :) and that monkey is off my back.

nice meeting lindsay, damon & abster and always a pleasure and fun hiking with steve, karen. meb, marsha

someone will share pics I am sure.

I left MEB, karen and marsha this am in NH and they were heading to the bonds so MEB can finish her winter 48. :) :D

Last edited:
Congrats on your first "official" winter ascent of Jefferson, Giggy and congrats to Damon for his 48 finish! I am glad that the frostbite issues were nothing serious as well.

I sure hope there are pictures coming.

- Ivy

Many thanks to Giggy and sleepingbear for sticking it out with me to tag winter #48, and for everyone else that had joined for the Jefferson portion of the hike earlier in the day. The white spot on the face is now sore and darkened, looks like I got bit with a summit souvenir :mad: Other than that it was a great day and the low visibility conditions didn't take any fun out of it. Made it home early enough for a celebratory bottle of champagne with the wife, some time thawing out in front of the fireplace, and a vicious battle against falling asleep in the recliner (eventually I lost). A great finish to the winter season.

Good Deal!

Giggy - congrats to you and your team on a safe and successfull summit assault! Combining Jefferson with "the rock pile" definitely sounds like an epic to me. Before your trip I got a chance to meet Kmac and we discussed the odds of making it to the top in light of the weather.. Good job!
Stu

48 for MEB

I knew Meb would get them all. WHOOPEE

Wunderbar!

Great report, Giggy! And what a fun crew you guys had! Great the GILF even made it out. :p Congrats to Damon on his 48th, and looking forward to hearing about MEB's stab at the same.

Turns out going up Jefferson for a second Saturday in a row was just the ticket! I really really wanted my first time up Washington to be in winter, this winter. I had been beginning to wonder if it was going to happen. It hadn't dawned on me either that there's this whole "calendar winter" thing either, so I'm pretty happy to have done it before "spring". Yeah, I'm just psyched to have done it. That was my big goal, now what??

While I don't think I got any frostbite yesterday, I think my cheeks suffered some pretty good windburn, maybe frostnip? Last night I had large dark red spots on either side of my face, under one eye, and under my chin. They're a little red and tender today, but not too bad.

Thanks to everyone who went, you guys are all great company.

Giggy, glad you finally got up Jefferson.
Damon, congrats on your winter 48.

It was kinda cold so I didn't take too many photos, but I think I got most of the important ones, may have missed a few though.

lindsay/damon - I thought I got away with no bite/nip - but I think I might have got a bit where I must have had some skin exposed on my upper cheek - didn't turn white as far as I know, but a patch is very tender today - so looks like ole jack frost got at me a bit as well :eek: :D :eek: :eek: :D

what a great day though - fun fun fun and my daddy didn't take my t-bird away

Last edited:
Great day! Nice to meet Karen, Marsha, Guy and Lindsey and see Damon and MEB again :)

I was hoping to do a little hiking without crampons, but that turned out to be just a hope. It was nice to get into some snow on upper Jewell because it has been such a brown winter in Vermont this year :( Great to have a big hike for the last winter weekend!

This was not a strong day for me, but in the end you just have to walk through it. Thanks to Steve and Karen for hanging out with me at the back of the pack and helping de-ice my water bottle ;)

Congrats to Guy and Damon! I hope that Meb, Karen and Marsha had a fun, safe Bond traverse - looking forward to hearing about it.

See you all at the next HA meeting (Hikers Anonymous)

NICE !!! We were on Jackson waving to you at about the time you were on the ridge, did you see us? ;)

Sounds like a fun trip and I am glad everyone stayed safe . . . it was COLD up there. We also had one on our trip with frost nip (white skin) that warmed up once we were below treeline again.

Congrats on the 48 Damon !!!

sli74

Way to go Damon on #48! and a hearty congrats to Guy for finally getting Jefferson in the winter!! Whoo-hoo! What a great way to end the winter season. :)

-MEB

Yea, yea, I'm slow.....been on the road all week but...

Nice job everyone! And congrats Damon on 48. And congrats Guy on Jefferson - I didn't realize that "he'd" been giving you such a hard time. And congrats Lindsay on getting Washington - it's always nice meeting a goal.

That was a fun day, must have been just the right conditions for the "bite" my nose turned out fine, not even sore, I never even felt it going away.....guess I have to be more careful.

Giggy...Nice report. It was great hiking with you once again. We had a nice
group and I must say....that was a fun day. I learn so much from you people
every time I hike with you. I still need to learn how to descend. Those rocks
killed.
Congrats to Damon on his 48. It was nice meeting and hiking with you.
-Satori