WMNF Forest Road Status

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Haystack Road

My guess is that Haystack Road will not be opening for some time, as the upper part that we walked in the dark last night after our Bonds-Twins traverse was wicked soft, with deep moose post holes in the soft material. The lower part of the road was badly rutted, presumably by USFS vehicles checking on the condition?

Anyone have any info on Haystack Mountain Road? It's still listed as closed! (last update was 5/22).

-Dr. Wu

Lincoln gap

Went through Lincoln VT this weekend sign on the road said "road to Warren is closed" did not investigate but assumed it was closed as of 11/18/06

The road was passable on Sunday simply by driving around the "Closed" barrier. Despite it snowing lightly, the road wasn't slippery (east side) and we saw several cars drive up to and even through the gap.

That said, it was only a day or two past the week of temperatures in the 60's. As soon as the ground is cool enough and the snow collects, it will take snow tires and AWD/4WD to get up there.

Incidentally, VT Road Conditions. They don't mention Lincoln Gap Road, though, so I'm unsure how much it can be relied upon.

Last edited:
I noticed that the road status website was updated yesterday (scroll all the
way down and look at the lower left corner for last update) for the first time
since the mid-December. Another sign of spring...

-vegematic

Contrary to the WMNF site, Hurricane Mountain Road near North Conway *is* open.

Last edited:
I do believe I see both Gale River Road and Zealand Road labelled as open!

News this morning said that the Evans Notch Road (RT113) is now open but you may still see some workers on the bridge over Lary Brook.
-vegematic