WMNF Forest Road Status

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jeez, closing roads already? I want to head up to Wild River Wilderness area to hike this weekend. Im assuming the road to the campsites at Wild River is still open, but guess I'll have to be flexible.

I have been into the Wild River Road area well into November and heard (and seen) that it gets significant hunting activity..., and that they keep it open longer into the season to accommodate this; it may operate under a different rule-set than other roads. Just what I heard....

It's my understanding that Bear Notch is maintained by the state, though I can't find any info on nhdot about it, nor any closings posted on the wmnf page. So it doesn't surprise me the state would close it. I should have more information on it tonight. Was mostly just a shout out to see if there were any feet on the street.

I have been into the Wild River Road area well into November and heard (and seen) that it gets significant hunting activity..., and that they keep it open longer into the season to accommodate this; it may operate under a different rule-set than other roads. Just what I heard....

I've seen hunters in there last year. You may be (are probably) correct that its left open longer for that reason. But, last year, there was hardly any snow and most roads were passable late into the year. We were hiking in the Evan's Notch area well into December because Rt113 closed so late.

Last edited:
I checked today. All the USFS roads are open. Bear Notch is under control of NH, and they closed that already.

We put in a suggestion to update the WMNF web page road closure status with a current date. The opening dates listed make the page look stale.

Rt113 is still closed. Hoping it would open up this weekend. Road was clear on the Fryeburg end. Talked to a few people at Stowes Corner store and they said that the snow tends to stick on the Bethel end of the road. Shaded more, I guess.

There have been some years where the it hasn't been open until Memorial day. There is a stretch just south of the East Royce trailhead that just doesn't get much sun that takes sustained warm weather day and night to melt out. The main reason it takes so long to melt is that its used as snowmachine trail in the winter so the snow gets packed down into ice that takes longer time to melt. The dense softwoods on the north side of the notch also delays things.

Rt 113 through Evans Notch is open as of this afternoon. I went up from Rt 2 in Gilead. The Wild River Rd to the campground is still gated, however.

Rt 113 through Evans Notch is open as of this afternoon. I went up from Rt 2 in Gilead. The Wild River Rd to the campground is still gated, however.

Thanks for posting - the FS website isn't being updated like it used to (some roads were never marked closed last fall). They'd be better up just putting up the phone number if it's not going to be a reliable resource.

They were pretty quick about posting some of the other roads east of Evans Notch as they opened (Patte Brook, for example). I think 113 may have just opened yesterday morning. I did notice that some in the fall were never marked as closed.

They were pretty quick about posting some of the other roads east of Evans Notch as they opened (Patte Brook, for example). I think 113 may have just opened yesterday morning. I did notice that some in the fall were never marked as closed.

Looks like they updated the page. There are now sortable columns (although the 'Last Update' sort doesn't work). Zealand Road is now open, as it Sandwich Notch and Upper Hall Pond.

Tripoli Road Open From Waterville Side

Tripoli Road from Waterville side is open despite what the WMNF website says. Just drove to the Mt. Osceola trailhead.

I drove by Haystack rd - FR304 and Gale River Rd on Friday 5/19 - Both are open. I can also confirm that Tripoli rd is open - both sides.

FYI, I spoke with someone as the USFS office last week. the indicated the Long Pond Road is likely to remain closed until a major project is done on it, likely next year. I'm sure the recent weather hasn't helped much.