WMNF Forest Road Status

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From the WMNF Forest Road Status website...

"This road [Bear Notch Rd] was closed by NHDOT on 11/18, but may re-open with the change in weather and improved conditions."

The website was updated today 11/21 and that phrase has been removed - while they still refer to NHDOT they simply directly state that Bear Notch Road and Hurricane Mtn Road are closed for the season.

Surprised Jefferson Notch Rd. is still open. I would imagine that drive would be interesting, to put it lightly :eek: .

USFS has announced some roads have closed. In particular, Upper Hall Pond Road, Tripoli Road, and Long Pond Road have joined Bear Notch Road, Hurricane Mountain Road, and Ravine Lodge Road as closed.

Did a quick hike up Ike today and on the way back noticed Zealand Rd is gated, Haystack Rd is gated, Gale River Rd at Trudeau Rd is gated. The Garfield end of Gale River Rd was still open but maybe because some one was still parked in there?

As of a USFS announcement this morning and updating of the WMNF road status page, just about everything is closed.

Conflicting reports on Bear Notch Road - it was closed when we tried to use it this weekend. The page current states: "May be opened on Tuesday, May 19."

Conflicting reports on Bear Notch Road - it was closed when we tried to use it this weekend. The page current states: "May be opened on Tuesday, May 19."

I ran into the DOT crew at the deli in Bartlett and they said Tuesday is looking good for opening of BNR.

Bear Notch Road did open on Tuesday - thank you!

Mt Clinton Road is still listed as closed on the FS website

The FS did update the page today regarding Jefferson Notch Road: "This road will remain closed; possibly through June. updated 5/22/2015."

It looks like Haystack Road is open for the season as of this afternoon.

Just curious on the road closures: Are any roads closed based purely on a cut off date (i.e. on 10/15 we padlock) or are they all closed based on the arrival of winter conditions (ice, snow, frost, etc)? Planning some fall hikes and I despise road walks so I'd like to hit areas with access roads sooner rather than later. Thanks.

The roads are usually left open until after hunting season or when they are covered with snow or expected to be within the next 24 hours. If there is a significant rain event which is possibility this weekend, if the road is damaged then FS will usually lock it early and fix it in the spring.

Sawyer River Road looked like it was still open when I drove past it this morning. Met some folks on top of Jefferson yesterday who'd come up via Caps, so Jeff Notch is still open. Quite the dry fall this year.

Bear Notch Rd was gated at the Bartlett end today, 12/6/15.

Zealand road gate is closed, today, December 7.

Same for Haystack road to N twin TH.

WMNF website says these roads are still open. :rolleyes:

Wonder how long before it's updated......??