WMNF Forest Road Status

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do note that Jefferson Notch road usually washes out pretty badly on the north end, especially the last 1/2 miel before Cap Ridge Parking, it may be "open" but not very user friendly until the state runs the road grader over the road, which usually occurs during the week going into Memorial Day.

Can anyone say if the western end of this road is usually drivable by a standard-clearance vehicle at this time of year?

Maybe drop a fly into Russell Pond.

Thanks,

--Mike

Mike, although the western end of Tripoli is a dirt road, it is dry, clean and hard. No problem with a passenger car. In fact it is in better condition than the Livermore side which is paved but has potholes and boulders coming up through the road surface.

Mike, although the western end of Tripoli is a dirt road, it is dry, clean and hard. No problem with a passenger car. In fact it is in better condition than the Livermore side which is paved but has potholes and boulders coming up through the road surface.

That is my experience, as well...

Haystack Road?

Anybody been up Haystack Road? The forest Service is listing it as Closed but the comments mention that "Some sections might need Extra care". Does that mean it is open and pass at your own risk in other words. Thanks in advance.

Anybody been up Haystack Road? The forest Service is listing it as Closed but the comments mention that "Some sections might need Extra care". Does that mean it is open and pass at your own risk in other words. Thanks in advance.

Have not been by the past week, but Haystack Road is usually the last to open because of softer roadbed than most.

The WMNF site confirms this as well, but Sawyer River Road is open as of today (5/18)

Despite what I said in my 14 May post, Jefferson Notch Road has remained closed all spring and is still closed as of today.

The DOT district office in Lancaster today said today they passed bad info to me last week in saying the road was open.

My apologies to those VFTTers inconvenienced by my post.

Meanwhile, the Tunnel Brook Road's gate is still down and locked, apparently due to a small, downed tree about a yard beyond the gate! Someone had sawn two, small limbs from the tree but decided not to complete the job.

Having walked the road to its terminus at the Tunnel Brook trail head this past Sunday, I can confirm the road is firm and dry with no washouts.

I just passed this info to the USFS/Pemi Ranger District who appreciated receiving the feedback.

Hopefully the gate will be up in time for the Memorial weekend.

NHDOT reported this morning that Jefferson Notch Road will not be open for Memorial Day weekend. When asked if they knew when it might be open, they indicated they did not know but that "it wasn't even close".

Looks like it may be a while.:(

The number for the NHDOT for that area is (603) 788-4641

Last edited:
Meanwhile, the Tunnel Brook Road's gate is still down and locked, apparently due to a small, downed tree about a yard beyond the gate! Someone had sawn two, small limbs from the tree but decided not to complete the job.

Having walked the road to its terminus at the Tunnel Brook trail head this past Sunday, I can confirm the road is firm and dry with no washouts.

I just passed this info to the USFS/Pemi Ranger District who appreciated receiving the feedback.

Hopefully the gate will be up in time for the Memorial weekend.

I hope so too. The Tunnel Brook Trail is one of my favorites.

Cherry Mtn Rd is still closed too. The USFS guy I spoke to said "it needs some work before we open it", but gave no idea on when that would be.

WMNF site says Haystack Road is closed, but driving past it on Memorial Day the gate was wide open.

I make no promises. :)

WMNF site says Haystack Road is closed, but driving past it on Memorial Day the gate was wide open.

You are correct, sir! I drove up it on Monday and folks were hiking out of the North Twin trailhead.