WMNF Forest Road Status

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's getting to be that time again.

Can those with experience comment on typical closure dates for the Carrigain, Haystack (North Twin), Zealand and Gale River Roads? In my experience, it's whenever the first big dump is, but I've never used three out of four of these.

Thanks,

--Mike

Does anybody know if Ravine Lodge Road is still closed? The WMNF site lists it as closed, but the lodge opens in a few weeks and I assumed the road would open by now . . . or soon.

I sent an email to the DOC, but I haven't heard back yet.

EDIT: Nevermind, I just got a reply. They expect to open the road on Monday.

Last edited:
Drove up Sandwich Notch Road today from the Thornton end to Upper Hall Pond.

The road is in pretty good shape to that point, aside from the usual Sandwich Notch Road hazards (potholes, ruts, rocks, shitty pavement, etc...)

Things were looking quite pretty today with the new snow coating the ground and trees. Upper Hall Pond was especially nice looking across to the snowy hillside. Upper Hall Pond Rd. is in good condition as well.

Forest Service website lists Sawyer River Road as now open. Can anyone confirm from the past weekend? This will be the start of all the major openings ... woo-hoo!

Mt Clinton Rd open (sort of)

Yesterday we drove to the Crawford Path parking lot planning to do Pierce and Eisenhower out and back by the Crawford Path. The objective was Eisenhower, so when we saw the gate of the Mt Clinton Road open we decided to drive to the Edmands Path lot.

The road has been partially cleared. Many blowdowns have been sawed in half, with half left on the road and a passageway wide enough for a car cleared. Leanovers have been cleared of branches so that cars can pass beneath them.

On the other hand, Edmands Path is very difficult above 4,000 feet. I would emphatically NOT advise anyone to use it in its current state. We ended up returning via Crawford Path, as we had left two cars at the Crawford lot.

Yup, Sawyer River Road is open and dry.

Forest Service website lists Sawyer River Road as now open. Can anyone confirm from the past weekend? This will be the start of all the major openings ... woo-hoo!

Jefferson notch road, base rd jct to the notch: It's still reported closed, but has anyone hiked along this section since Saturday? Snow cover?

Thanks

Although it's reported as still being CLOSED (as of 07-May), today I was on the Little Lary Road (FR8) in Evans Notch. The gate is open.
I even spoke with a Law Enforcement Officer for the Forest Service at the far end of this road who was doing a routine patrol.

Long Pond and Bear Notch

Does anyone have an update on either Long Pond and Bear Notch? Planning a bike ride this weekend and would like to include both.

I see from the state website that they're listed as closed. Just wondering if maybe they could be passable by bicycle. Thanks in advance

Walter

parking

Is it OK to park along base road near the jefferson notch road gate? I remember seeing "no parking" signs higher up on base road near the cog, but can't remember around the jefferson notch road gate.

Is it OK to park along base road near the jefferson notch road gate? I remember seeing "no parking" signs higher up on base road near the cog, but can't remember around the jefferson notch road gate.
I have seen them at the rd jct and lower down on Base Rd, and would not park there and risk $75 fine without talking to Forest Service

You could consider parking a short way up Mt Clinton Rd, if I recall correctly that is signed as a fee area although there is no fee tube there

Bristlecone,

If you want to head up to Ridge of the Caps trailhead when the Jefferson Notch Rd. is closed, park at the WMNF parking lot across from the Cog base station and take the Boundary Line Trail to Jefferson Notch Rd. Only 1.3 miles, and less distance and vertical to the trailhead than if you were to walk from the Jefferson Notch Rd. gate on the Base Station Rd.

A bunch opened up on the website yesterday. Gale, Sawyer, Wild, and Zealand. But not Jefferson Notch, sorry. Note that's listed as NHDOT responsibility, not USFS.

Does anyone have an update on either Long Pond and Bear Notch? Planning a bike ride this weekend and would like to include both.

I see from the state website that they're listed as closed. Just wondering if maybe they could be passable by bicycle. Thanks in advance

Walter

Bear Notch Road was still closed as of this Saturday.

Cherry Mtn Rd was open today and I heard from the guy at Berts Deli on 302 that Bear Notch Rd is scheduled to open this Friday. BTW, nice lunch menu at Bert's. (or is it Bart's?)

bob