WMNF Forest Road Status

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is also possible that there is an intermediate cache that you cannot clear.

Doug

Interesting!

I am using Firefox 4 Beta 8, which does have a few bugs (that is why it is Beta :D). Checking with Chrome I also get the "currently unavailable" message.

[Added]Killing and restarting the browser cleared the cache.

Interesting that it never occurred to me that my browser might be the one misbehaving :eek:, even though it is a pre-release version.[/Added]
One situation where such a cache might exist would be in the firewall of a large organization (or ISP). All connections from people within the organization (or ISP) would go through the firewall and a cache at this location would reduce the traffic through the connection between the firewall and the internet. Such caching would have nothing to do with your personal browser.

Another possibility is that there are multiple webservers serving the same URLs and only some are down right now. (This might be done to share heavy loads.) Your (internet) location or choice of DNS servers may determine which one you access.

FWIW, I currently get the "Forest Service Website Is Currently Unavailable" message for any of a number of URLs beginning with http://www.fs.fed.us/.

Doug

Last edited:
FWIW, I currently get the "Forest Service Website Is Currently Unavailable" message for any of a number of URLs beginning with http://www.fs.fed.us/.

I see the same. There is no port 80 cache/firewall (at least of the variety that would affect this), no DNS cache, and I have a direct, business-class pipe to the 'net. They're definitely doing work on their end.

I can still get the WMNF home page "Last modified: Tuesday, 11 January 2011"

This is through Comcast in Concord NH, is ME in NH or MA right now?

One item on the page:
Update: The Owl's Head Trailhead is now open.

With all that being said does anyone know the real status of Tripoli Road??Open or closed? Thanks

As of yesterday Tripoli Road was closed. On Tuesday I walked all the way up to the hight of land, and the last mile or so was still quite wet ... I suspect that the Forest Service will give it some more time to dry out.

Just checked the web site a few minutes ago (checking Dugway Road, still closed :(), found that Gale River Loop and Zealand Road are open :)

Just checked the web site a few minutes ago (checking Dugway Road, still closed :(), found that Gale River Loop and Zealand Road are open :)
Hmmm! The Forest Service does indeed show that Zealand Road is OPEN.
However, when I drove by there this afternoon (07-May), it was gated!:confused:

Last edited:
A cautionary tale... Open isn't always open...

Went for an early mountain bike ride with MFurgal64 this morning. The shuttle route took us a mile up the Tripoli Road, past the gate on the Waterville End. Somewhat to our surprise the gate was wide open. We both commented on it then rode on. Well, we weren't the only ones who saw it open. On our way back down, we found two vehicles on the wrong side of the now-re-locked gate. Turns out they'd gone through on their way to Woodstock, gone all the way to the Woodstock end, found the gate locked, and turned around... Only to find THIS end closed too. When we rode through, they were on the phone with the WVPD, who were trying to reach the Forest Service. Nasty surprise for mother's day morning!

Hmmm! The Forest Service does indeed show that Zealand Road is OPEN.
However, when I drove by there this afternoon (07-May), it was gated!:confused:

Saw a ranger there this morning, she said she didn't know why the website says Zealand Road is open...that road will remain closed for a least another week.

Drew, has the upper part (from height of land to, say, Tecumseh trailhead) started drying out? It was pretty wet and soft a few days ago.

Mohamed, we cut out at Osceola View, so we didn't get up that high. My experiences on backcountry dirt roads over the last week would suggest you're right on, though. Gravel, well-drained areas are fine, but sandier, loamier stuff is one big lengthwise squish-trap right now. A relatively dry week and things will be much better.

Saw a ranger there this morning, she said she didn't know why the website says Zealand Road is open...that road will remain closed for a least another week.

yesterday, 5/8, we arrived to find the gate closed, but unlocked and were able to drive up to the zealand trailhead (at which we found the zealand caretakers vehicle). even though it was listed on multiple websites (fs and amc) as being open we crossed our fingers it would still be unlocked when we got back and found it secured open, so it seems safe to assume zealand road is open for the season. road itself is in good shape.

bryan

yesterday, 5/8, we arrived to find the gate closed, but unlocked and were able to drive up to the zealand trailhead (at which we found the zealand caretakers vehicle). even though it was listed on multiple websites (fs and amc) as being open we crossed our fingers it would still be unlocked when we got back and found it secured open, so it seems safe to assume zealand road is open for the season. road itself is in good shape.

bryan

Good to know. We were there at 7am yesterday, hoping to do Hale. When we arrived, a woman was closing and locking the gate. I asked her if the road was open, and she told me no, that it wouldn't be for at least another week, and that the information on the website was incorrect. :confused:

I'm glad you were able to get through (and back out again).

Does our DOC alumuni moderator know if they will be opening up Ravine Lodge ROad this weekend? ;):)

Gate on Haystack Road was open last night and all day today. I'm surprised, usually it's one of the last roads to open.

Went for an early mountain bike ride with MFurgal64 this morning. The shuttle route took us a mile up the Tripoli Road, past the gate on the Waterville End. Somewhat to our surprise the gate was wide open. We both commented on it then rode on. Well, we weren't the only ones who saw it open. On our way back down, we found two vehicles on the wrong side of the now-re-locked gate. Turns out they'd gone through on their way to Woodstock, gone all the way to the Woodstock end, found the gate locked, and turned around... Only to find THIS end closed too. When we rode through, they were on the phone with the WVPD, who were trying to reach the Forest Service. Nasty surprise for mother's day morning!

Andy, I had this happened to me years ago: gate open on the Woodstock side, closed on the Waterville side. It was a difficult trip back since it started to snow and was slippery turning around and going up in elevation that way. Also happened, I think two years ago, when they were doing road work. Road opened on the Woodstock end and no sign saying you couldn't get through because the road was closed because of road work half way in.

I'm surprised the WVPD had to call F. S. since they have keys to the gates. Maybe they had to get clearance.

Maybe I missed the posting if one has been made, but.....

Does anybody happen to know if the bridge reconstruction on Gale River Road has been completed allowing access from both ends?

Thanks.