Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: WMNF Forest Road Status

Quote Originally Posted by Mohamed Ellozy View Post
    Strange ... I just clicked on the link in the first post and got the page.

Do you see any other browser or network problems?
    Thanks Mohamed......I copied below the message that I get from the road status website. I have been getting this for a few days and it made me wonder if the web address had been changed.

Forest Service Website Is Currently Unavailable
    The Forest Service Web server is currently undergoing routine maintenance or has encountered an unexpected problem. We are working to bring the Web server back online as swiftly as possible.
    We apologize for any inconvenience that this downtime may have caused.
    Until this site is available again, we encourage you to contact your local Forest Service office for the information you need.

Genuinely weird ... I still get the page even after clearing the browser's cache.

The standard advice when funny things happen in your browser is to clear the cache ... not sure how likely it is to help

Genuinely weird ... I still get the page even after clearing the browser's cache.

The standard advice when funny things happen in your browser is to clear the cache ... not sure how likely it is to help
    It is also possible that there is an intermediate cache that you cannot clear.

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by DougPaul View Post

Doug
    Interesting!

I am using Firefox 4 Beta 8, which does have a few bugs (that is why it is Beta ). Checking with Chrome I also get the "currently unavailable" message.

[Added]Killing and restarting the browser cleared the cache.

Interesting that it never occurred to me that my browser might be the one misbehaving , even though it is a pre-release version.[/Added]
    Last edited by Mohamed Ellozy; 01-11-2011 at 07:32 PM.

On using this address:
    http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/forests/whit...ads_status.php

I get a status page with the following at lower left:
    Last modified: Wednesday, 15 December 2010

Same page with FF, IE, Chrome

Doug
    Interesting!

I am using Firefox 4 Beta 8, which does have a few bugs (that is why it is Beta ). Checking with Chrome I also get the "currently unavailable" message.

[Added]Killing and restarting the browser cleared the cache.

Interesting that it never occurred to me that my browser might be the one misbehaving , even though it is a pre-release version.[/Added]
    One situation where such a cache might exist would be in the firewall of a large organization (or ISP). All connections from people within the organization (or ISP) would go through the firewall and a cache at this location would reduce the traffic through the connection between the firewall and the internet. Such caching would have nothing to do with your personal browser[s].

Another possibility is that there are multiple webservers serving the same URLs and only some are down right now. (This might be done to share heavy loads.) Your (internet) location or choice of DNS servers may determine which one you access.

FWIW, I currently get the "Forest Service Website Is Currently Unavailable" message for any of a number of URLs beginning with http://www.fs.fed.us/.

Doug
    Last edited by DougPaul; 01-11-2011 at 08:20 PM.

FWIW, I currently get the "Forest Service Website Is Currently Unavailable" message for any of a number of URLs beginning with http://www.fs.fed.us/.
    I see the same. There is no port 80 cache/firewall (at least of the variety that would affect this), no DNS cache, and I have a direct, business-class pipe to the 'net. They're definitely doing work on their end.
    May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

I can still get the WMNF home page "Last modified: Tuesday, 11 January 2011"

This is through Comcast in Concord NH, is ME in NH or MA right now?

One item on the page:
    Update: The Owl's Head Trailhead is now open.

Quote Originally Posted by RoySwkr View Post
    This is through Comcast in Concord NH, is ME in NH or MA right now?
    NH, using Time-Warner cable.

Yesterday I could, at times, get their home page. Right now it is unavailable with Chrome and FF.
    Last edited by Mohamed Ellozy; 01-12-2011 at 09:54 AM.

I can now access the site (access via Verizon FIOS). Last mod dates of 11 Jan on the home page and 12 Dec on the roads page.

Doug

With all that being said does anyone know the real status of Tripoli Road??Open or closed? Thanks

As of yesterday Tripoli Road was closed. On Tuesday I walked all the way up to the hight of land, and the last mile or so was still quite wet ... I suspect that the Forest Service will give it some more time to dry out.

Just checked the web site a few minutes ago (checking Dugway Road, still closed ), found that Gale River Loop and Zealand Road are open

Just checked the web site a few minutes ago (checking Dugway Road, still closed ), found that Gale River Loop and Zealand Road are open
    Hmmm! The Forest Service does indeed show that Zealand Road is OPEN.
    However, when I drove by there this afternoon (07-May), it was gated!
    Last edited by 1HappyHiker; 05-07-2011 at 10:03 PM.

A cautionary tale... Open isn't always open...

Went for an early mountain bike ride with MFurgal64 this morning. The shuttle route took us a mile up the Tripoli Road, past the gate on the Waterville End. Somewhat to our surprise the gate was wide open. We both commented on it then rode on. Well, we weren't the only ones who saw it open. On our way back down, we found two vehicles on the wrong side of the now-re-locked gate. Turns out they'd gone through on their way to Woodstock, gone all the way to the Woodstock end, found the gate locked, and turned around... Only to find THIS end closed too. When we rode through, they were on the phone with the WVPD, who were trying to reach the Forest Service. Nasty surprise for mother's day morning!

Drew, has the upper part (from height of land to, say, Tecumseh trailhead) started drying out? It was pretty wet and soft a few days ago.