WMNF Forest Road Status

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sawyer River Rd

I talked to the Saco Ranger District today.
The contract has been let for rebuilding Sawyer River Rd. Construction to start the week of September 10, to last for about 4 weeks. Bicycle traffic may be restricted during construction.
The road may be open for Columbus Day.

I talked to the Saco Ranger District today.
The contract has been let for rebuilding Sawyer River Rd. Construction to start the week of September 10, to last for about 4 weeks. Bicycle traffic may be restricted during construction.
The road may be open for Columbus Day.

Damn, one week later that I'd hoped. Is it safe to assume that they are still allowing foot traffic during the construction? Did they specifically say anything about that?

They did not reference foot traffic this time, but earlier this year they did say it might also be banned. I suggest calling the Saco Ranger District office before heading up there. Good luck.

My completely uninformed guess is that foot traffic will most likely be banned on weekdays when they're working (with all that heavy equipment going, they can't have people trotting through the worksite). Hopefully they can leave the road passable / safe on the weekends.

Sawyer River Rd (FR 34)

Open to motor vehicles on October 6, 2012.

Just read this on USDA-WMNF site!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the update. Just in time for a last trail maintenance visit this season!

The following are now CLOSED, likely for the season:
Haystack Road
Gale River Road
Zealand Road
Tripoli Road
Hurricane Mountain Road
Bear Notch Road
Dolly Copp / Pinkham B Road
Rte 113 / Evans Notch

Sawyer River Road, Mt Clinton Road, and Jefferson Notch Road are still listed open but I can't imagine for much longer.

Jefferson Notch Road open as of yesterday (12/12). ~1 mile on either side of Caps Ridge trailhead had a dusting of snow making for interesting (but passable) driving. Also noted that Sawyer River Road was gated when I passed it on the way home.

A whole bunch of updates of additionally closed roads have appeared on the WMNF Forest Road page, including Sawyer River, Cherry Mountain, and Dugway.

PinkhamB/Dolly Copp Road was open 5/5/13. Pretty good shape but some some significant ruts in a few spots. One or two could be an issue for low ground clearance vehicles. The "rock garden" in the paved section ont he Randolph end has some big ones breaking out of the pavement.

The WMNF road status site show Mt. Clinton Rd closed. The gate was open on Sunday 05-May-13.

I drove up it end to end yesterday ...

But yes, it may not be officially open. This morning I parked just below the lower gate (which was open) for a two hour walk, on my way back the gate was closed. During my walk I saw at least four WMNF trucks going up, so maybe something needed fixing.

I then drove to Lincoln for some errands, and on the way home checked the gate, it had been re-opened.