Monadnock conditions?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmegillon149

Reaction score
Hey everyone, haven't been down to SW NH in awhile, and was wondering what to expect on Monadnock, as I will be hiking the Pumpelly trail on saturday

Here is a post from last week. Probably hasn't changed much as we've had slightly above freezing days and cold nights. ( I live 10 miles away from the mountain)
Previous post

I will probably hike it thursday of friday of this week if it isn't going to rain so check back later and hopefully I give you a up to date report. It was isolated ice sections as of a couple weeks ago, barebootable but stabilizers helpful in some ice flow sections or you bushwack around.

We're 20 mile north and the hiking is great around here. The only problem you'll face is ice in the trail. I haven't seen any snow at all.

jmegillon149:

Pompelly should be fine all the way. Got on Pompelly via Spellman today and took it to the summit. There were a few icy flow sections on Spellman and a couple of the secluded gullies of Pompelly were slick but very negotiable. Barebooted all the way and I ran into a couple middle age first timers and they followed me with no trouble. You shouldn't have any problems with lower half of Pompelly either. All the trails up there, except maybe Red Spot should be just great and hardly no mud.

kerry13 said:
Pompelly should be fine all the way. Got on Pompelly via Spellman today and took it to the summit. There were a few icy flow sections on Spellman and a couple of the secluded gullies of Pompelly were slick but very negotiable. Barebooted all the way and I ran into a couple middle age first timers and they followed me with no trouble. You shouldn't have any problems with lower half of Pompelly either. All the trails up there, except maybe Red Spot should be just great and hardly no mud.

I am so jealous that you were on Monadnock today! The weather was gorgeous and I'm glad you got a chance to enjoy it. I couldn't wait to get home from work to take a long walk. If I had had the whole afternoon to go hiking, I would have done Pumpelly. It would have been interesting to see how the ice on the steep section (before it intersects with Spellman) has changed in the last two weeks. We need a "green with envy" smilie to put here.